Collecting Discogs

In addition to collecting variants (I know, fuck me), I am also prone to buying the full discog of bands I like even when I know that some of the albums are shitty.

Anyone else do this - I am assuming most people do? This problem comes up a lot more with CDs than vinyl, since everything comes out on CD and only certain things make it to wax.

yeah...i definitely do this...

H2O go(I still don't admit to this piece of shit ever being released) and the All I Want EP(still in the shrink wrap)(got them both for free from my radio show)

the last Shelter record(given to me, but never listened to)

the last few MxPx CDs...

the s/t Warzone album. oh yes.

I've always done this, but only with vinyl. Once a band is past their prime, I have no problem stopping if it's only released on CD. But if it's vinyl, I buy everything they release.

guilty also do this with labels I am working on No Idea and I am missing one Kiss of Death release (Monikers Tour edition of there last album any one want to sell it to me?) but with labels I usually just try to get the rarest or coolest press I can I do not do varients except if there is a tour/Fest edition and a regular edition

I've been trying to find Pedro the Lion - Helicopter for a while now, even though there's only one song exclusive to it and it's not very good. Plus, there's 2 colors. I also plan on picking up the Mae Shi - To Hit Armor Class Zero, even though it's a one-sided 10" with 59 minutes of music on it. I buy them because I love the bands, which is why I started collecting them in the first place. I actually don't own any CDs of either band though.

i don't have a problem with this. if i like a band enough to "collect" their discography then chances are that they won't put out a record i don't like. i don't really have any outrageous collections of these types of bands, so it's not a problem for me if they release a shitty record.

I'm guilty of doing this. If I dig a band, I want one copy of every record, including compilations that they put out, good, bad, or otherwise. I don't really collect varients so this is my main collecting problem. I am working on Damad right now and some of their pre first LP stuff isn't good at all...but I still want it.

I was doing this with Vagrant for a pretty long time, and for a while most of their stuff was really good. I won't buy a single Senses Fail album, let alone 2 versions on the release date and a reissue a year later, though. I wish I had only been buying vinyl the whole time (not counting Cobraside), I don't think I'll ever see Loses Control again.

In addition to collecting variants (I know, fuck me), I am also prone to buying the full discog of bands I like even when I know that some of the albums are shitty.

Anyone else do this - I am assuming most people do? This problem comes up a lot more with CDs than vinyl, since everything comes out on CD and only certain things make it to wax.

I do this, but when I band heads south I tend to stop. I tend to get the time period for when I really liked the band completely.