Holla if you don't drink . . .

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i sometimes like drinking.

i haven't drank since fest, and some of you saw me at some of my drunkest moments (aka fest warehouse shows)

i might start drinking again soon, but maybe i'll never drink again.

my parents used to be extremely reckless when drinking (my dad blacked out on the highway and slammed into the median when my mom was in the car, and i was in her tummy) but then they cleaned up their act and haven't had one drink since i was born.

and i respect that a shit ton.

This gets brought up in every topic like this but: Why don't you guys and girls drink (aside from the obvious previous addiction stories, etc...)? There is nothing wrong with drinking responsibly. There is also nothing wrong with not drinking at all. I'm just always curious of people's reasoning behind it.

I drink in moderation. I enjoy it. I love the taste of a good beer or an ice-cold shot of high-end vodka. I rarely ever drink with the intent of getting drunk. I probably actually get drunk a small handful of times a year. Mostly, my drinking consists of a beer or two with a nice dinner or my wife and I will have a few drinks together at home. If I have more than two beers, I do not drive.

Well......my father drinks a ton. He is an alcoholic. Not a fall down, not able to keep his job type, but still an alcoholic.

I also moved around a lot as a kid, so I never really had the peer pressure to drink. I went to 4 high schools in 4 years. Not sure why I don't drink, I just don't. Sometimes I call myself edge, not because I consider myself edge, just that it makes it easier to get it across that I don't do those things.

i don't drink for a lot of reasons.

i've never understood when people say they dont start having fun doing any number of things until they're drunk. i also tend to be a control freak at times, and i don't want the feeling of not being in control of either my motor skills or what i say, etc that generally accompanies drinking. i hate the smell of most alcohol (beer especially) so i'd imagine i dislike the taste even more. also, i don't want to drink my calories and i'm pretty sure i've saved a lot of money over the years not drinking lol.

my uncle also was an alcoholic and almost ruined my aunt and cousins lives by getting 3 d.u.i.s and going to jail. sooooooo i can't see that any good has come from comsuming alcohol lol

i don't care if others do it responsibly, i just choose not to.

This gets brought up in every topic like this but: Why don't you guys and girls drink (aside from the obvious previous addiction stories, etc...)? There is nothing wrong with drinking responsibly. There is also nothing wrong with not drinking at all. I'm just always curious of people's reasoning behind it.

I drink in moderation. I enjoy it. I love the taste of a good beer or an ice-cold shot of high-end vodka. I rarely ever drink with the intent of getting drunk. I probably actually get drunk a small handful of times a year. Mostly, my drinking consists of a beer or two with a nice dinner or my wife and I will have a few drinks together at home. If I have more than two beers, I do not drive.

There's a bunch of logical reasons not to drink.

1. Tastes bad. A lot of people will say "_insert beverage here_ tastes great!" Bullshit. It's an acquired taste and if you didn't have drinking as the societal norm, you wouldn't bother with it.

2. Kill brain cells. I forget shit all the time, I need all I have and could probably use a few more.

3. Opens yourself up to becoming an alcoholic. Fuck that shit.

4. Lessens your ability to think clearly and make good decisions. Most people who beat their wives and children do so under the influence. Most of the horrific car accidents are caused by drunk drivers.

There really isn't anything good that comes from drinking. And before you start in with those studies about the health benefits of moderate drinking, give me break. It's a well known fact that they are overblown and most researchers will tell you can get the same, if not better, benefits from non-alcoholic means.

I don't drink for many reasons. Both sides of my family have members that are either suffering from alcoholism or have died from it and I just don't feel the risk is worth any good that could come of it.

My dad is a huge alcoholic and was very violent when he would drink (every day). When he wasn't drinking he was a really sweet guy and great to be around, but he just couldn't control himself and this is the reason we haven't talked in close to two years.

My final reason is that I refuse to give my hard earned money to a corporation that has pretty much helped destroy my family through the products that they sell. I don't want to support the companies that make products that have hurt my family and friends.

1. Tastes bad. A lot of people will say "_insert beverage here_ tastes great!" Bullshit. It's an acquired taste and if you didn't have drinking as the societal norm, you wouldn't bother with it.

2. Kill brain cells. I forget shit all the time, I need all I have and could probably use a few more.

4. Lessens your ability to think clearly and make good decisions. Most people who beat their wives and children do so under the influence. Most of the horrific car accidents are caused by drunk drivers.

There really isn't anything good that comes from drinking. And before you start in with those studies about the health benefits of moderate drinking, give me break. It's a well known fact that they are overblown and most researchers will tell you can get the same, if not better, benefits from non-alcoholic means.

1. So should I start making threads and groups (referring to sXe) about folks not liking cabbage because I LOATHE the way it tastes?

2. Does alcohol do this?

3. Eating makes you open to being obese. Buying records opens you up to being a shopoholic. Anything in moderation is required.

4. You can't judge something buy a select group of bad apples. Not every record collector collects every variant. I think quite fine after a beer or two.

This sums up my drinking status nicely.

I stopped drinking once all my anxiety problems started up. I'm pretty sure alcohol does not affect it much, but all the medication I'm on for it prohibits any alcohol consumption. I rarely ever drank to get drunk, and love beer, but I feel like once I'm off all this medicine I somehow doubt I'll have another drink. So I guess my reason is because oh health reasons... I guess.

1. Bullshit. There are several alcoholic beverages that taste awful, but there are several that taste really good. Pretty much anything in life is an acquired taste. Bad argument.

2. Alcohol does kill brain cells, yes. But drinking in moderation will not have any noticeable affect.

3. No it does not. For certain people, maybe. But I've been drinking in moderation for more than 10 years and I am not an alcoholic. I have several friends and relatives who drink and are not alcoholics. By definition, an alcoholic is addicted to alcohol and requires it to function...I know very few people like that.

4. Maybe. I've never beaten my wife. I've never driven drunk. Etc.

Granted, there are people who over do it, but that's true with everything in life. You can't lump every person who enjoys a drink into these categories. That's just closed minded. I'm open to a discussion on why you don't drink, but making generalizations is a bad way to approach it. I was not looking to be insulted by asking the question, just like I would not insult you because you don't drink.