records you got on a whim

Frank Turner - Campfire Punkrock

I'd never heard of him til Virgil posted the record for sale. I listened to a couple tracks on his myspace page and decided to pick it up. Immediately after, I thought "I shouldn't just buy things on a whim like that." Then I listened to the record, and I love it. Its one of my favorites, I've played it almost every day since I got it.

Frank Turner - Campfire Punkrock

I'd never heard of him til Virgil posted the record for sale. I listened to a couple tracks on his myspace page and decided to pick it up. Immediately after, I thought "I shouldn't just buy things on a whim like that." Then I listened to the record, and I love it. Its one of my favorites, I've played it almost every day since I got it.

Dude this record it awesome. I, too bought it on a whim.

many, many moons(more years than I care to mention) ago I went into a record store and asked the clerk to pick something out for me that I NEEDED to own. I told him I wanted a record that would change my life.

he gave me 24 Hour Revenge Therapy.

need I say more?

ha. i do that with Jeff Buckley "Grace", Refused "Shape Of Punk To Come", and sometimes Jimmy Eat World "Clarity".

hasn't failed me yet.

Guest genericinsight

The last band/record I actually got into solely on a whim was Minus The Bear - Highly Refined Pirates (albeit it was on CD, not vinyl) in 2003. A bunch of people I knew had been talking about them a lot, but all I knew about them was they had a former member of Botch but weren't a hardcore or metal band. I also dug their name. So when I saw the disc in a store for a reasonable price, I picked it up having not heard the band at all, mainly to see what the hype was about. And I really was into it so it worked out. I think the band's name had a lot to do with it - it was just one of those "I'm curious to see what a band called 'Minus The Bear' sounds like".

I used to do this all the time when I was younger, but not so much anymore. The internet and Myspace spoils me.

Like someone else said, with vinyl I'm very selective though. I have to be at least somewhat familiar with the artist to purchase.

Guest genericinsight

^Hah, I also heard of Death Cab for years before I actually ever listened to them, and now I'm a fan as well. I had a friend who was into them as early as 2000 and talked about them a lot. I don't think I ever actually heard a DCFC song until maybe 2005.

Anti-Flag: New Army:

One of the first vinyl lp's I ever bought because I liked the cover. I think I payed about 6.99 for it. I was 15 and it became the soundtrack to summer 01', the best summer of my life. Not really a fan of the band anymore, but every now and then I put it on and brings me back to my glory days.

And.....

Old Man Gloom-Seminar II

Beware Of Safety-...It Is Curtains

Bars-Intoducing

i love the looks you get from record store clerks when you buy really polarizing records together.

I don't remember what i bought with it...but the look I got when i bought the Gnarls Barkley LP with whatever random HC or punk records was fantastic.

haha. i love this.

or when you buy something they didnt realize they had and then get wicked jealous.

I love when that happens

I bought the first press of Scream-Still Screaming, and the first press of Flipper- Generic Album both for $4 and the kid that works at the store went crazy and offered me $200 to leave them. Apparently the other guy that worked there didn't know anything about HC and priced them wrong. Best steel ever!!

Not on vinyl but when I was a Freshman in high school I had gotten a gift card for Fred Myer's music department and bought four cds on a whim.

Anti-Flag:Underground Network

NoFx:Punk In Drublic

AFI:All Hallows E.P.

Pennywise:Full Circle

I pretty much went head first into punk rock and never looked back after that.