"Smoke" coloration and gritty records?

akross

I have had 2 instances where I have gotten a record with some form of smoke coloration and they have had some kind of gritty crap on them and in the inner sleeves. Has anyone else had this happen?

The records this has happened to me on are Isis - Panopticon (cokebottle with silver smoke) and 2 of the new Envy records (don't recall titles/colors offhand).

I plan on buying a carbon fiber brush and new inner sleeves for these before I play them, but I was curious if this is a common thing for smoke color variations (maybe the reason the Alk3 VC color changed?)

i've had plenty of records like this, with shit in the sleeve and in the grooves. I recall my last one like this was Pelican - City of Echoes clear w/ black splatter. If your super sensitive about brushing them off with your hand out of the grooves (i try to keep my collection in good condition for many years to come), you can take canned air, hold the can at a fair length away from the record, so the blast isn't too strong, but will be able to remove the "particles." You can also attempt to spray out the sleeve like this as well.

i dunno, i would never use that compressed "air" on my records. id be freaked out all them chemicals would get in the grooves and fuck up the vinyl. i think brushing before plays will eventually get all the dust out. a stylus brush after plays wouldnt hurt either. and like justin said, its not supposed to affect play.

and like justin said, its not supposed to affect play.

Of course a pressing plant is going to say that it won't affect play but it does.

Think about it, how does a record make sound? The stylus touches the grooves and extracts the music. Well, if something is blocking the grooves or hindering the stylus' contact with the grooves in any way it will not play perfectly. This is true whether you're talking about this grit, dirt particles, dust, lint, skil oils, etc.

I don´t think it´s a problem connected with "smoke" vinyl in particular. I noticed the same thing with opaque color pressings or those new splatter ones as well. I just had the same effect when I played my colored repress of Minor Threat´s OOS earlier tonight.

Strangely I only had this problem with vinyl made in CZ by GZ media, f.e. stuff done by Pirates Press or Recordpressing.com, but never with vinyl from US pressing plants. All my smokey US wax plays perfectly without any problems or any traces of gritty crap.

And I still think the quality of vinyl done by GZ media is inferiour in general to US or german pressing plants. Ever noticed for example how bad the edges of their records are cut?

• 2 weeks later...