THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE

Has Manos been said yet? Manos.

Joel Hodgson's answer, even after all these years of riffing movies with MST3K and now Cinematic Titanic, is STILL Manos: The Hands of Fate.

STILL.

He was asked at the Q+A for Cinematic Titanic back in December of '09 in Chicago, and he didn't even skip a beat when he said "easy - Manos. Next card..."

Also, a movie my wife insisted we rent from the Hollywood Video that was truly awful was called An Angel Named Billy. Let me tell you something, this movie was downright painful. Reading the synopsis was painful enough, but sitting throught th entirety was even worse.

It was almost unriffable because you felt so bad for the actors. I mean, this is the synopsis:

Meet Mark Anderson, a recent stroke victim who is frail and weak. Also, his best friend Thomas, a classic over the hill drag queen desperate for love and happiness. Mark and Thomas have a master plan, to find Mark's son, James Anderson the love of his life once and for all. Meanwhile, Billy, a young gay teenager who has just turned 18 gets his first country kiss from his best friend Rick and is immediately caught and then thrown out of his house by his abusive father. With no place to turn, no cash and no contacts, Billy hitch hikes to the big city. Confused, lost and running scared, Billy soon finds a help wanted ad posted in a local city gay café by James. Billy interviews for the job and soon accepts the challenge as the role of caretaker on the spot. He quickly learns about full responsibility, independence, not to mention real life lessons about being gay. Billy unexpectedly finds himself in love with James and builds a bond with Mark that is unbreakable. "An Angel Named Billy" is a heartwarming, funny and unforgettable story of an abused boy who in leaving his life of hate and mistrust is able to come to terms in his own way of being gay in a modern world. Finding new friends, unexpected love and a whole new way of life will never be quite the same again.

Better yet, the synopsis on IMDB was actually written by the director. Is this a common occurrence? but yeah, this plays into so many stereotypes of the LGBT community (getting kicked out of your home in the country after you're uncloseted either forcibly or just found out, the "classic over the hill drag queen," etc.) it's ridiculous. Truly an awful movie.

All what Tarantino does is rip off old obscure movies then get's praised for his originality.  He's even admitted to it.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a top director that isn't making films that are homages to their inspiration. Scorcese admitted to it, so has Spielberg and Fincher.

Doesn't mean their movies are automatically shit because of it. 

98.62% of the music people praise as "amazing" around here is totally unoriginal, derivative, and made from the same ingredients as everything else. Doesn't make any of it any less valid.

Why should film be any different?

Just cuz you're cooking with the same things as everyone else doesn't mean you can't make something new with them.

The only thing I hate more than Tarantino's movies are his fans.  I've never met one Tarantino fan who can just accept that people think his movies are shit.  They'll defend him and whatnot but they can never wrap their heads around the fact that someone might not enjoy his movies.  You must be wrong because Tarantino is a god, heaven forbid you have your own opinion.  Tarantino's movies are repetitive boring drawn out piles of horseshit.  But I must be wrong because having 200 minutes of dialogue in a 202 minute movie is simply genius!

There's a difference between not liking something, and genuinely thinking its bad. If you don't like Tarantino movies, that's fine, they're not for everyone and I'm honestly surprised that they are as commercially popular as they are. But if you genuinely think they are bad from a writing, acting, directing, producing point of view, then you come off as a narrow minded film viewer.

The only thing I hate more than Tarantino's movies are his fans.  I've never met one Tarantino fan who can just accept that people think his movies are shit.  They'll defend him and whatnot but they can never wrap their heads around the fact that someone might not enjoy his movies.  You must be wrong because Tarantino is a god, heaven forbid you have your own opinion.  Tarantino's movies are repetitive boring drawn out piles of horseshit.  But I must be wrong because having 200 minutes of dialogue in a 202 minute movie is simply genius!

I get what you're trying to get at, but I think you're misinterpreting why people refute you. I'm saying you're wrong because it is my opinion that his movies are awesome. I think you're assuming I, and whoever else disagrees with you, speaks for the general public. We are just doing the exact same thing as you are, supporting our own opinion. 

I get what you're trying to get at, but I think you're misinterpreting why people refute you. I'm saying you're wrong because it is my opinion that his movies are awesome. I think you're assuming I, and whoever else disagrees with you, speaks for the general public. We are just doing the exact same thing as you are, supporting our own opinion. 

I'm not wrong.  It is your opinion that his movies are great.  It is my opinion that his movies are shit.  Neither of us are right or wrong, we both just have different opinions.  Right and wrong are based in fact not opinion.  I've found that QT's fans for some reason can not make that distinction. 

Pulp fiction is pulling a 9.0 on IMDB with 750k votes. About 700k people voted it as a 7 or better. It's rated as the 4th best movie of all time on that site.

With stats as overwhelming as that, yeah, you are "wrong" to say that the movie is "horseshit". It would be like saying Michael Jordan wasn't a good basketball player. If someone wants to say Wilt Chamberlain was better or something like that, then there is room for a difference of opinion. You want to say that Pulp Fiction is overrated? Fine. I'll take that opinion. To call it horseshit? You missed the movie. The movie didn't miss.

Pulp fiction is pulling a 9.0 on IMDB with 750k votes. About 700k people voted it as a 7 or better. It's rated as the 4th best movie of all time on that site.

With stats as overwhelming as that, yeah, you are "wrong" to say that the movie is "horseshit". It would be like saying Michael Jordan wasn't a good basketball player. If someone wants to say Wilt Chamberlain was better or something like that, then there is room for a difference of opinion. You want to say that Pulp Fiction is overrated? Fine. I'll take that opinion. To call it horseshit? You missed the movie. The movie didn't miss.

Good way to put it. I'm going to use that analogy for now on in similar scenarios.

• 1 month later...