NEW MINUS THE BEAR ALBUM

I don't know man, I think they've just gotten better and better, refining their sound. Planet of Ice is an epic album. I know it's not cool to like a band's most recent record the most but, yeah, that's where I'm coming from. For me they go backwards from there. All pretty damn good though.

oh no way man. Between Oso and POI, they completely lost that MTB sound. everything pre-Oso was based on technical guitar and even a little bit of "dancability". POI was a complete departure from that and almost a throwback to bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Now dont get me wrong, i think POI is a great album, (that also has to do with my liking of their influences) but it is in no way a refining of THEIR own sound.

FWIW

I think Oso is their worst album.

I think HRP is their best.

Who wouldn't immediately fall in love with "Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse"???

that was my intro to minus the bear. such a great song. I'm kinda bummed that i saw highly refined pirates at a shop a couple months ago, and maybe i'm not looking hard enough, but i cant find it anywhere now.

Guest falloutcollapse

This is weird, but each album/EP by them takes me to a different place in my life. It's actually kind of cool, on second thought. Like I can pinpoint a specific moment in my life that reminds me of the album.

This is weird, but each album/EP by them takes me to a different place in my life. It's actually kind of cool, on second thought. Like I can pinpoint a specific moment in my life that reminds me of the album.

I sort of agree with you. When I first Highly Refined Pirates, it was basically the soundtrack to my summer, so I have a lot of memories connected to that, great ones too and that might be why it's one of my favourite records. A similar thing has happened with each of the next releases, and I can't listen to them without thinking about what I used to do while listening to them or who I was with. Good times.