Shepard Fairey's Bad Brains Art Print

Lot's of shit happened before I was born. It doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have opinions about it. As far as I can tell, only one of the members of Bad Brains has openly come out and said he's no longer a homophobe. Until they apologize for calling everyone faggots, this band can go fuck themselves for all I care, and anyone who still supports them is, IMO, supporting bigotry. Just because they may be smart enough now to keep their stupid opinions to themselves doesn't make them any less bigoted.

Watch any comedic movie from the 80's. Homophobia was rampant then. Everything was gay jokes and calling people "fags". That was a completely different time. To take things out of that context and apply it to our enlightened Y2K mentality now just doesn't work.

They don't owe you an apology. Probably most of the bands you listen to has at least one dude who uses the N word. I doubt you'd stop listening to them because of it.

Most of world is bigoted. There's no getting around it. So stop being such a fag. ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Bad Brains to Skrewdriver is astounding. Clearly both bands are very similar.

I'm not talking about style of music, or even type of hatred for that matter, I'm talking about your ridiculous argument that it happened a long time ago and therefore it doesn't matter.

I'm not saying that because it was a long time ago, it doesn't matter. I'm saying that it was a different time and shouldn't be judged by our understanding of world as it is today.

I'm not talking about style of music, or even type of hatred for that matter, I'm talking about your ridiculous argument that it happened a long time ago and therefore it doesn't matter.

I'm not saying that because it was a long time ago, it doesn't matter. I'm saying that it was a different time and shouldn't be judged by our understanding of world as it is today.

I understand that, but by this logic we could also say that because it was a different time period that segregation was okay. I know that's a big leap, but that is the basic idea behind what you are saying. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but I'm trying to say that just because things have changed doesn't mean what happened then was appropriate,

I understand that, but by this logic we could also say that because it was a different time period that segregation was okay. I know that's a big leap, but that is the basic idea behind what you are saying. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but I'm trying to say that just because things have changed doesn't mean what happened then was appropriate,

What I'm saying is you can't blame your grandfather for calling blacks "coloreds". That's just how shit was back then. They didn't know better. At least the Bad Brains now realize they were being assholes.

If you don't want to listen to one of the best bands in punk history because they used the word "fag" in the 80's that's your business. It's your loss.

Lot's of shit happened before I was born. It doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have opinions about it. As far as I can tell, only one of the members of Bad Brains has openly come out and said he's no longer a homophobe. Until they apologize for calling everyone faggots, this band can go fuck themselves for all I care, and anyone who still supports them is, IMO, supporting bigotry. Just because they may be smart enough now to keep their stupid opinions to themselves doesn't make them any less bigoted.

how many rungs are there to the top of your soap box?

What I'm saying is you can't blame your grandfather for calling blacks "coloreds". That's just how shit was back then. They didn't know better. At least the Bad Brains now realize they were being assholes.

If you don't want to listen to one of the best bands in punk history because they used the word "fag" in the 80's that's your business. It's your loss.

I don't blame my grandfather for doing stuff like that, but he doesn't still do it. And he wasn't in the public eye like the Bad Brains were/are.

I choose not to listen to them because of that and because they are fucking joke at this point. Have you seen their live show?

I don't want to listen to bad brains because they've said:

-"Burn in hell, bloodclot faggot."

-"San Francisco has too many faggots ...most of them act so crazy even out in public, it disturbs me, makes me want to go and shoot one of them."

-"Don't blow no bubbles (and we can stop the AIDS)

Don't blow no spikes

Don't blow no fudge buns

Ask Jah and he'll make the change"

And to call yourself H.R. for Human Rights, and claim to be all about unity, and then say shit like this makes you a total prick and a fake.

I don't blame my grandfather for doing stuff like that, but he doesn't still do it. And he wasn't in the public eye like the Bad Brains were/are.

I choose not to listen to them because of that and because they are fucking joke at this point. Have you seen their live show?

My father still calls blacks "coloreds" and he was going to adopt a black child. He just doesn't get it.

The fact they haven't been good for the past 20 years is a separate point.

And yes, I have seen their live show. Instrumentally, they were incredible. HR, however, has lost his fucking mind.

-"San Francisco has too many faggots ...most of them act so crazy even out in public, it disturbs me, makes me want to go and shoot one of them."

Don't blow no spikes

Don't blow no fudge buns

And to call yourself H.R. for Human Rights, and claim to be all about unity, and then say shit like this makes you a total prick and a fake.

This!

Don't blow no spikes

Don't blow no fudge buns

HR doesn't stand for "Human Rights".

In your record collection you own a Joy Division LP. Did you know that early Joy Division was questionably pro-Nazi? Even their name is derived from a Nazi army prostitution ring.

You also own Beastie Boy's "Liscense To Ill". Did you know that the Beastie Boys had said in interviews that they wanted to call it "Don't Be A Faggot" but the label wouldn't let them?

Time to get rid of some of those bigoted records. What will your PC friends think?!?!

Lauren Hill hates white people, so i must too because i love the Fugees - the Score

No. I don't know anything about Lauren Hill, but assuming that this is true, by supporting her music career you are propelling her status and giving her a platform to promote narrow-minded thinking.

Supporting Skrewdriver is bad because the hate the Jews.

So, supporting Bad Religion is bad because they hate Christians, right?

Watch any comedic movie from the 80's. Homophobia was rampant then. Everything was gay jokes and calling people "fags". That was a completely different time. To take things out of that context and apply it to our enlightened Y2K mentality now just doesn't work.

They don't owe you an apology. Probably most of the bands you listen to has at least one dude who uses the N word. I doubt you'd stop listening to them because of it.

Most of world is bigoted. There's no getting around it. So stop being such a fag. ;)

What's the "N word"?

As far as joy division goes, questionably pro-nazi is not at all the same as saying burn in hell, bloodclot faggot. As far as I know Joy Division has never done anything blatantly supporting Nazism.

As far as the Beastie Boys go, they've openly apologized as a band.

And as for Bad Religion, I don't listen to them because I think they're boring as shit. If they do actually hate Christians though, that makes them just as ignorant as anyone else. A Christian who is not bigoted and has their faith for personal reasons, and does not insist on pressing it upon everyone else is a-ok in my book. If, on the other hand, they dislike bigoted Christians who insist on telling you that you're going to burn in hell because you haven't read their book, then I would agree with them.

As far as joy division goes, questionably pro-nazi is not at all the same as saying burn in hell, bloodclot faggot. As far as I know Joy Division has never done anything blatantly supporting Nazism.

As far as the Beastie Boys go, they've openly apologized as a band.

And as for Bad Religion, I don't listen to them because I think they're boring as shit. If they do actually hate Christians though, that makes them just as ignorant as anyone else. A Christian who is not bigoted and has their faith for personal reasons, and does not insist on pressing it upon everyone else is a-ok in my book. If, on the other hand, they dislike bigoted Christians who insist on telling you that you're going to burn in hell because you haven't read their book, then I would agree with them.

Really? Naming your band Joy Division and putting a member of the Hitler Youth on your 7" cover isn't blatantly supporting Nazism?

Bad Brains have also said that they were young and stupid and that they regret those statements. I guess if they were to write a letter to you, sign it, and have it notarized, you'd be able to look past it.