Here's what I think about Watchmen (douche content

So, I caught this last night and it was better than I expected. I realized that part of the reason it seemed better is because I had the understanding of the book to fall back on. Anything that was left out or left vague, I was able to fill in, because I knew what happened.

Talking to my wife, who had never read the book, confirmed that there were some really confusing things to those who hadn't read the book. I think the issue was that they tried not to cut anything. They'd take out parts but they tried to drop in as much as possible and it sort of jumbled the over all content.

The mention the Scarlet Witch is gay but not really how that impacted her life, other than it killed her.

They briefly note the Comedian thinks Hooded Justice is gay, but nothing else (especially his connection to the Silk Specter that really made the rape scene interesting).

They have the cat but don't explain, at all, where it came from or what it's purpose is.

The show how black and white Roach is but not necessarily how conservative he is.

They have the New Frontiersman but they don't really highlight what it's about or why it's the publication Rorschach would choose (it's hard right wing leanings), it could have been the Daily Bugle for all it's purpose.

Overall they tried to include a touch of everything and they should have included all of some parts and cut out others. It just seemed to have these items included, but not essential to the plot took up more time and effort and added little more than a tip of the hat to folks who read the book and know what's going on.

Also, too much blue penis.

I'd agree with you on all those points. I was still stoked on the movie and saw it twice in theaters. I can't believe they were allowed to get right what they got right. Still wish it was a ten hour HBO miniseries.

Didn't know that was the original plan. Actually, right after we left, when I was talking to the wife, I said, "the only way they could have done it 100% right, would have been a six hour mini-series". Really, it's just too dense for a regular feature film.

I thought that the movie was great, and included most of the essential stuff you needed to know for about the first 3/4ths, and then they blew it, IMO. I hated the ending. Not that they changed the plot so much as I felt like they just dumbed it down to much for movie audiences. I felt like the comic left it totally open ended, and for the reader to decide what happened to everyone and everything. The movie blatantly told you that Rorschach journal got read, and that Silk Spectre and Nite Owl decide to stay heroes, and it seemed to push the viewer to agree with Ozymandias.

i find it weird how this is really the first comic book movie that was specifically made for those who actually read the book, and its getting such a huge backlash for it.

all the problems i had with it had to do with the fact that Zac Snyder is a shit director.

I don't think that first statement holds water. I'm not saying they may not have said, "This movie is made for fans of the book", but they made a several choices to clearly diverge from the comic.

Also, I think many of my critiques could be brought to your second point.

i was just speaking in general. the main complaint i hear from people is "i didnt get it", and thats because they never read the book.

and yeah, a lot of your points have to do with Snyder's direction.

Yeah, but just because you don't get it, if you don't read the book doesn't mean it's designed for folks who read the book...It means Snyder is a shit director.

If this were a movie, that would be the part were both people say the last line in unison like they both realized something at the same time.

The mention the Scarlet Witch is gay but not really how that impacted her life, other than it killed her.

They briefly note the Comedian thinks Hooded Justice is gay, but nothing else (especially his connection to the Silk Specter that really made the rape scene interesting).

scarlet witch isn't gay, she's magneto's daughter who has a incestuous relationship with her brother quicksilver. also she's an omega class mutant who started the House Of M shit that totally made the marvel universe unreadable anymore.

you're thinking of Silhouette ;);D

scarlet witch isn't gay, she's magneto's daughter who has a incestuous relationship with her brother quicksilver. also she's an omega class mutant who started the House Of M shit that totally made the marvel universe unreadable anymore.

Someone watches the Watchmen.

also, changing the ending to framing dr. manhattan blowing shit up and having it not be a alien monster mental shockwave thing...that changes the whole reason that the Comedian lost it and why Veidt had to kill him...if that small detail hadn't happened no one would have been tipped off and it all would have happened randomly and without consequence.

Someone watches the Watchmen.

nah someone's just been a comic nerd for 17 years.