Erika from Little Type Distro died...

Larry Livermore posted this on the Pop Punk Bored...

Erika "Crumbly" Hynes, much-loved member of the PPMB, passed away this afternoon at about 3:30 pm. She was at home, having been discharged from the hospital this morning, and surrounded by people who loved her. She was conscious up until five or ten minutes before her death, and laughing and smiling at the messages I was reading to her from some of her online buddies.

The cause of her death was complications from liver failure. She had been ill for a long time, and as of a few days ago the doctors informed the family that there was nothing more they could do for her. A liver transplant was ruled out because her body was too weak and could never have stood the shock of surgery.

Erika was well known as the mistress, proprietor, and chief cook and bottlewasher of Little Type Mail Order (named after the band she formed at age 9 with the children of her next door neighbor, Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen), and prior to that had for many years been the über-competent and well-loved head of mail order for Lookout Records.

Erika was also a gifted artist and received a degree in Fine Arts from the University of Minnesota. During her time in Minneapolis, she was renowned for, among other things, helping to book shows, providing a home away from home for touring bands and itinerant punk rockers, and her zine
Crumbly

Shortly after moving to California in the mid-90s, she met Patrick Hynes, musician, artist, computer genius and co-owner of Lookout Records, and began a love affair that lasted and shone brightly for the rest of her life. They were married on October 13, 2001, and loved and cared for each other with a devotion and joy that inspired all who knew them.

Although her illness was long and difficult, Erika's actual passing was gentle and without pain or trauma. She had been longing to leave the hospital and see her beloved home again, and today she finally got her wish. She was lying in her own bed, with familiar faces and things around her, got to see her little dog Lucy once more, and take one last peek at the internet before settling back into her pillows and going to sleep.

She hasn't been able to speak for quite some time, but for the last couple days she has been able to write messages, and this way we shared many memories and laughs about good times that involved many of you, whether in real life or on teh interwebs. She loved and missed so many of you, more than I could possibly name here, and appreciated immensely all the good wishes, prayers and expressions of concern that you posted here. We will all miss her, of course, but we are all richer for having known her. I think I can safely say on her behalf that you guys are the greatest, and that you can best honor her memory by being excellent to one another.

I didn't know Erika super well, but worked with her a lot with the label and she helped get some records to Shot Baker while on tour once, she was a really sweet woman and I'm pretty much in shock over this, I had no idea she was sick.

It sucks that she died, but man, if i did die, i'd want it to be just like hers.. surrounded by everyone i truly love and say my goodbye's before passing on.. my dad passed and i didn't get to say shit to him, so while her death is crappy (even though i didn't know her, death of someone you know is always crappy) it's nice to know she went out of this world seeing all her loved ones one last time.

RIP

I'm stunned, and don't know what to say. I used to mailorder from Little Type quite a bit. And every time i got a package she'd write a note saying thanx. My orders from Little Type always came quickly and if i ever sent an email asking a question the reply was always prompt.

While death is horrible (obviously) it's nice that she passed on in her home with loved ones all around. That's all anyone can really ask for.

R.I.P.