Hey Virgil, you should sign the Aquabats! !

"Due to trying economic times and a struggling musical landscape, the Aquabats have been officially released from Nitro records. While fond memories remain, stark reality faces all of us kids... No record company, no record. That is right kids, although we have been hard at work trying to find the formula for the greatest album ever made....by the Aquabats, we now have no outlet in which to launch such treasured tracks as, 'The Moon is a Circle of Ghosts', 'Funky Doodle Dandy', or 'Dance Posse Girl'. Sadly kids, we don't know what to do. I think its time we all roll up our sleeves and decide to either pack it up and call it quits, OR by some miracle of hard work and perseverance ...we ... persevere!"

Aquabats! and Suburban Home Records - a match made in heaven?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh... haven't these guys ever heard of self-released records? They act like if some label doesn't sign them they have to quit. What a sad mentality that must be.

they're not gonna break up, this is obviously a publicity stunt, for the lack of a better description, for the band to make an announcement and for their name to be brought up and to be thought of as relatively relevant.

read all the posts, it worked.

this band should have broke up a long time ago...you can only be this ridiculous if you're playing ska.

that said, I think their first two records are fucking great, for the most part...and NOT dismissing them for being a silly ska band.

I was and still am a ska dork.

I think they surpassed any ska band. They broke the curse. They realized making the same albums over and over would get old, and they moved on. Sure, it's different, sure the old ska stuff might be more memorable to us and "better," but they're still a fun band and doing what they want. They expanded on every branch of crazy zany madness that they could possibly expand on, rather than stayed reclusively in a ska shell.

I think they surpassed any ska band. They broke the curse. They realized making the same albums over and over would get old, and they moved on. Sure, it's different, sure the old ska stuff might be more memorable to us and "better," but they're still a fun band and doing what they want. They expanded on every branch of crazy zany madness that they could possibly expand on, rather than stayed reclusively in a ska shell.

Yeah, and their live shows are pretty damn funny.

Uhh... haven't these guys ever heard of self-released records? They act like if some label doesn't sign them they have to quit. What a sad mentality that must be.

I think that people sometimes tend to forget, especially in a DIY minded community, that not everybody has the money, knowledge, skill, desire, etc. to actually do everything themselves. Sure, there are a lot of small labels and bands out there DIY-ing it, and that's great. But these people usually have day jobs to pay for their necessities and the projects they are funding.

A band like The Aquabats, I imagine, do not have day jobs to fund a release. That's not to say that they couldn't find the money/make the money/get the money somehow, but perhaps that they just wouldn't want to do that.

So no, it's not a sad mentality on their part.