buying to flip vs. buying to trade...

andrews

Do people really see a difference? For some reason I find that people around here seem to HATE flippers, but when someone is buying something with the sole purpose to trade no one has an issue with it.

The way I see it, they are both buying something now to profit (in some way) due to it's rarity in the future. If you think buying to trade is fine then you should thing buying to flip is fine too.

Sorry, I've just noticed this in a few threads and I thought I'd bring it up. Anyone agree?

EDIT - Prediction: 10+ pages with threats of death.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I buy to trade, because then I can more or less control who it goes to (i.e., not someone who's going to throw it right onto eBay) and I can hopefully get something back in return that has some value to me. Everyone has records in his/her collection that are expendable, so if you can find a match like that, it works out pretty well.

As far as flipping, to each his own. It's really more or less the same thing, but for some reason it has dirtier connotations -- probably because it's seen more as trying to turn a profit then it is helping someone complete their collection.

I have no problem with flipping, personally. Supply/demand/etc.

the reality is that flipping has been incoporated into the way vinyl collecting has been set-up. if you refuse to engage in it, you get left behind. sometimes the only way to get something you really want is to trade something away for it. if i make money off of flipping, it goes right back into my vinyl collecting anyway. plus, i think it's kind of cool in a sense too. it's sort of an introduction to business (supply and demand, investments, risks, opportunities, etc.) as well.

I was just thinking about subject too.

Question to me is, flipping something that you have no intentions of listening to, probably don't like, or will probably never like.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with any of this, but I find it annoying when people buy records from bands they don't care for just to do this. Again, to each their own, but at least try to think about the music first - which I think many don't.

I typically buy two of everything I love, or think I'll love to have a play copy and a store copy. Sometimes I'll part with one if there is something compelling.

I have no problem at all with flipping. You snooze, you lose, that's how I see it. There's an argument that flippers/traders who buy a record are taking that record away from a true fan. I don't think any one person is more entitled to a record than anyone else. And, if they are a true fan, they won't be bothered by having to pay a little more or part with something to get the record they desire.

I have flipped records in the past. But only knowing that something has been out of print and I may at least break even. Solely to fund future purchases down the road.

There have been a few releases that I have thought to myself "I should get that and flip it!" but then the more logical part of makes me realize that I should spend the money on something I want instead of taking a gamble on the flippable item.

But like it has been said numerous times already...it's all about supply and demand and a general lack of knowledge by some people. Also can't forget on their laziness when it comes to only using eBay to obtain records instead of doing a bit of research and getting them from labels, distros, or even people like us here.

I don't really have a problem with people fliping stuff(selling or trading). I more have a problem with people going about it in a dick way. If someone buys something that is brand new and it sells out quick then immediatly wants something worth a lot or they ask two or more times what it cost them it kind of irritates me. I would like if people were a little more "fair" about it but I know it's not going to stop so I don't waste my time bitching about it.

Guest scriptedrain

I don't buy to flip or trade. I like buying records for the sake of owning them, and I wish that's how it always was to be honest with you. There are too many people out there buying based on "purchasing" power. But there's nothing I can do about that, so I try not to let it bother me or get worked up over it.

Having said that, we do have an extra copy of Against Me! - New Wave (same version, bonus CD).

I don't really have a problem with people fliping stuff(selling or trading). I more have a problem with people going about it in a dick way. If someone buys something that is brand new and it sells out quick then immediatly wants something worth a lot or they ask two or more times what it cost them it kind of irritates me. I would like if people were a little more "fair" about it but I know it's not going to stop so I don't waste my time bitching about it.

True. But that's what boards like this are for, so you can work out a reasonable deal with someone for something you missed out on. Yes, there are some people who come to post here only when they have something they want top dollar for, but for the most part I've worked out reasonable trades and purchases on here.

I buy to trade on occasion. Usually it's only records that are specific to my area. Get a record that was exclusively available in my hometown and try to use it get records that I want that were only available somewhere else. Then it keeps me out of the ebay racket.

I guess I don't really care too much if other people do it. It sucks when you get stuck on the costly side of things but I guess it's the laws of supply and demand.

i've bought to flip. but a lot of the time i don't charge much more than what i paid for it. i ask for a little extra for my troubles, but i dont ask for a ridiculous price. i enjoy hooking people up with shit they can't find in their area/online.

i've bought to trade because trading is fun.

i've never purchased a record for the purpose of selling/trading it, but i don't see how anyone can really complain about people who do or say that what they charge is "unfair." Why would you buy it/trade for it if you thought the deal was unfair? I could buy a fall out boy 7" for $8 on Interpunk right now and then list it on eBay for $450, but that doesn't mean I'm being unfair- if someone is willing to pay the price that is set, then (a) that price must seem "fair" to the buyer or (B) the buyer is an idiot for engaging in a business transaction that he think is "unfair."

Guest genericinsight

I can see why people do it. Myself though, I only buy records if I like the band in question. I usually only end up selling or trading somewhere down the line (i.e. a few years) if I don't listen to a band much or at all anymore and either need money, or are looking to complete specific band collections (or complete longtime wants). Or, if it's in the case like the Wow, Owls! LP I was looking for and missed out on, worked out a trade here. I definitely only used to check ebay but now I've learned to also look in distros and other boards like this, like Juan Hulud said.

I buy to flip sometimes. I try to only buy records with money I have in my paypal account, and the best way to do that is sell stuff. So I buy stuff sometimes, to flip later when I know I'll need a bit more money to buy records. I sell records, to buy more records. It is pretty rare for me to do it though, but sometimes I get lucky and I find stuff I want cheap but later don't really care for it anymore and sell it for a huge profit (most of the time astonished it sold for that much more than I bought it).