how do you explain to people...

People today who think vinyl sounds like shit have either never actually heard vinyl being played (a DJ in a loud club doesn't count) or remember all the pops and clicks from their turntables back in the 70s. The problem with that is they were playing their music on a shitty 'table.

That being said, you can't actually say one is "better" as its subjective. There are scientific measurements you can actually point out that theoretically "prove" records sound better than CDs but in real world situations these differences can't really be distinguished. There are differences between analog and digital for sure, and whether one sounds better than the other is a matter of opinion.

BTW, the BEST way to listen to music is reel to reel tape as long as its not a copy of a copy of a copy. Dubs from original master tapes on a good deck sound amazing. Its a truly lossless medium, and before you ask, YES, you can still get reel to reel. ;)

People today who think vinyl sounds like shit have either never actually heard vinyl being played (a DJ in a loud club doesn't count) or remember all the pops and clicks from their turntables back in the 70s. The problem with that is they were playing their music on a shitty 'table.

That being said, you can't actually say one is "better" as its subjective. There are scientific measurements you can actually point out that theoretically "prove" records sound better than CDs but in real world situations these differences can't really be distinguished. There are differences between analog and digital for sure, and whether one sounds better than the other is a matter of opinion.

BTW, the BEST way to listen to music is reel to reel tape as long as its not a copy of a copy of a copy. Dubs from original master tapes on a good deck sound amazing. Its a truly lossless medium, and before you ask, YES, you can still get reel to reel. ;)

Although something digitally recorded and dumped to tape wouldn't be the same as if it were recorded on tape originally.

Guest falloutcollapse

I tell people I listen to music on vinyl, and if they question me, I just say "Fuck you!" in a British accent and throw up a backwards peace sign.

i just break multiple copies of "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" by Herp Alpert & The Tijuana Brass over their head.

Then I snap CDs in jewel cases over their head.

Ask them which one hurts more.

Don't be breaking Herp Alpert records man, those are awesome.

I think if i saw one more of those in my thrift-store crate digging days I would have shot someone.

Guest scriptedrain

It's got to a point for me where I think to myself "it just is." People are going to believe what they want to believe and hear what they want to hear. If they're open minded, they'll try it out.

whats the fun in "collecting" something millions of people can go out to wal-mart or best buy and pick up for a few bucks? It's much more fun knowing you are one out of only a handful of people to have something, and even then yours is unique.

as far as sound, as everyone said, it's alot more warmer and feels more personal

to get the data on to the cd the recording has to be compressed, and in the process cutting off the tops and bottoms of the sound waves that are considered by some to be 'outside' of human hearing frequency. resultantly cd versions of albums have less dynamic range than records which contain the whole sound wave as a result of not having the compression imposed on them allowing the 'warmer' sound most people cite as the difference between the two formats. basically if you imagine a sound wave, a cd would look like a block with very few peaks and troughs while a soundwave from a record has all the peaks and troughs that should be there. as for mp3 quality, well the less said the better. there's your basic science to PROVE that records sound better. people who don't notice the difference basically have bad ears.