Do your punk ethics conflict with...?

Do your punk ethics conflict with your financial struggles?

Here's what I'd like to know from people.

In the past of this thread, there has been many discussions and arguments railing against big corporation businesses and chains and supporting the mom-and-pop stores. In light of recent financial and economic shitstorms, how do you feel about upholding your punk ethics (if any) and your personal financial struggles?

I've never had any issues w/ shopping at Walmart. I've known people who do. In recent months I've had to tighten the proverbial belt and curb my spending. Just today I went to Walmart to get a new pair of shoes for work since my Doc Martens had to be retired after 9+ years of dedicated service.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest afsdan

financial issues are one thing, but daily living conflicts with my best attempts at ethics. I don't like oil companies, but I still drive, wear polyester clothing, and use plastics.

I like not having a job/money. I get to spend more time with people important to me, and do things that I want to do. I'm planting a garden and riding my bike and putting out records. mo' money, mo' problems.

lol.

i think youll be hard pressed to find many on this board with "punk ethics".

unless you count listening to propaghandi on your ipod while shopping at walmart...

VINYL COLLECTIVE MESSAGE BOARD. Up teh Punx!

Is it punk to spend thousands of dollars to have all the different colors of vinyl shipped to my nice condo where I live while I am at law school?

I work for the government...
me too. I don't know if i really have any real ethics at all. I do what I need to do to get by. when it comes to music though i shop independently.

To me my job is just my job. It doesn't define who I am as a person and it is just something that pays the bills. When it comes to ethical/moral dilemmas I do what I feel is right and I don't let my job/purchases define what I feel constitutes being right.

Guest afsdan
lol.

unless you count listening to propaghandi on your ipod while shopping at walmart...

I haven't been to Wal-Mart in 5+ years. I do support mom and pop shops. That shit is important. Not saying it makes me Mr. Ethics or anything...

lol.

I haven't been to Wal-Mart in 5+ years. I do support mom and pop shops. That shit is important. Not saying it makes me Mr. Ethics or anything...

Whatever Mr. Ethics . . .

what constitutes a "punk rock belief"?

i'm just me. i believe in the things i want to. i wear the clothes that are comfortable. i try and support DIY/independent stores as much as possible because i feel that makes the community base stronger. i won't be pissed at you if you eat at mcdonalds 3 times a week. i don't eat there because i think that food is gross, not because of some self-righteous ideal i have stuck my head from a nofx song.

why are so-called punks so concerned with what and what is not 'punk?'

Juan, you pick your battles. 99.9% of the music I buy independently, and when I do it's usually for gifts for family members for christmas gifts, etc...

I just try to spend money at as few chain stores as possible.

it's a double edged sword, you can't claim total independence unless you live in the wilderness in a mud hut.

I try to support local stores because it's good for my local economy, but doing what's good for my family is most important. If I can save a bit of money shopping at a big box store, I'll do it.

None of that has to do with the fact that I like the Ramones. Punk ethics to me has to do with music.