Why can't I get into Jawbreaker?

Even thought they're one of my favorite bands ever, I can get people not liking Jawbreaker. What I can't understand is how someone cold think Blake isn't a great lyricist. He wears his Kerouac influence in his sleeve, which is a good thing.

I don't get all this Kerouac drooling bullshit. I think his writing is boring as sin. He's one of those people you're just supposed to think is cool, but I just don't get it. "On the Road?" It's just lame.

Jets To Brazil was awesome. ORD is just a superbly written record, front to back. And Blake is a very nice, normal guy. Kudos to everything he's done.

Even thought they're one of my favorite bands ever, I can get people not liking Jawbreaker. What I can't understand is how someone cold think Blake isn't a great lyricist. He wears his Kerouac influence in his sleeve, which is a good thing.

I don't get all this Kerouac drooling bullshit. I think his writing is boring as sin. He's one of those people you're just supposed to think is cool, but I just don't get it. "On the Road?" It's just lame.

Jets To Brazil was awesome. ORD is just a superbly written record, front to back. And Blake is a very nice, normal guy. Kudos to everything he's done.

Eh. I was really into the Beats in my late teens, but not so much anymore. I do think that, lack of narrative aside, Kerouac could bust out with some pretty poignant stuff every now and again.

Eh. I was really into the Beats in my late teens, but not so much anymore. I do think that, lack of narrative aside, Kerouac could bust out with some pretty poignant stuff every now and again.

Stephen Colbert's "Wigfield" is a far better road book than "On the Road." It's probably the best book of our generation and it makes fun of just about everything wannabe writer lit students think is important and deep.

he's a bit further along as far as writers go in his influence than just kerouac. just saying. there was a whole conversation about it after a show.

Guest kingbuzzo

I agree. I've never liked Kerouac and don't understand the love.

However, I do love Blake's lyrics, both in Jawbreaker and JTB. I don't think worrying over not being able to get into a band is something you should do. Either you like them or you don't.

Stephen Colbert's "Wigfield" is a far better road book than "On the Road." It's probably the best book of our generation and it makes fun of just about everything wannabe writer lit students think is important and deep.

Ah, yes, the timeless literary masterworks of Stephen Colbert. His name should always be mentioned in the same conversations as Melville, Goethe, Steinbeck, and Poe.

I think it's cool that he's not afraid to throw a cheesy line in there once in a while.

And come on, "Now I'm making out the shapes. Like the shower rod. Can it take my weight?"

That's some dark, beautiful shit right there.

"you can take a line, and say it isn't straight... that ain't gonna change it's shape"

I think i never got into them because i started with a weird album.

At least all of my friends who love Jawbreaker said Bivouac was a bad album to start with.

I wouldn't know since I never gave any of the other albums a listen, but from what I've read it seems that most people would have suggested I started with "Dear You".

I think i never got into them because i started with a weird album.

At least all of my friends who love Jawbreaker said Bivouac was a bad album to start with.

I wouldn't know since I never gave any of the other albums a listen, but from what I've read it seems that most people would have suggested I started with "Dear You".

i would bet anyone who has recommended "dear you" first and foremost probably got into them late as well. i don't know one person who grew up with them that would suggest that album as a 1st album to listen too. i grew up on them from 80's on up and i grew with them, and i love "bivouac". it was a very happy medium from their early stuff to what was to become of them in the future. I think "24 hour revenge therapy" would probably be my fav, but my favorite songs are on bivouac of all albums.

recommending "dear you" is like recommending "...and justice for all" for metallica.

just saying