computer nerds: help a fella out

Guest afsdan

"factory reset" and reinstalling the OS sounds like the same thing. Her computer may have had what I described -- a partition that contains the OS recovery cd information so all you have to do is tell it to use it.

Trying to remember how to see the partitions on your hard drive. Google it. It's nothing complicated. See what is there.

Open up my computer. Every partition will have a different letter. Your Operating system is in the "C" drive and if it has a recovery partition it is usually "D" drive and labeled as recovery.

Yeah...duh! (that is directed at me...not anyone else).

I just know Windows did a lot to make it easy to partition things. My recovery shows up this way. My linux partition does not. So in some cases you might have to use the disk tool or whatever to see partitions (I just google it whenever I need to do something like this...someone has made a guide for everything). But not here.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting a disk on eBay unless you're 100 percent certain it matches your series AND model of computer. Even a different model will have way different drivers and not everything may work properly (no sound, no Internet, etc.). That's why I recommend to go through dell. Sounds like you got everything under control though.

NERDS AWAY!!

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:    50

BCP1:    FFFFF880762FE828

BCP2:    0000000000000001

BCP3:    FFFFFA80065722E6

BCP4:    0000000000000005

OS Version:    6_1_7601

Service Pack:    1_0

Product:    768_1

if it helps...i can only use the computer functionally in safe mode.

tell me what this means, because IM LOSIN IT, MAN. IM LOSIN IT!

mainly, is this an easy fix - if it is, i'll let you take over my computer manually and then pay you via paypal if you can help me out.

Divesandfives is having a whoooooooooooooooole lot of problems!

Not trying to steal this thread but I thought I'd post here instead of making a new one.

A storm just passed through and got my computer. No fun. Without reading too much yet, is it pretty much dead or a simple swap for the power supply or something? 

I had a power source go bad and took it to the geek squad. They tested it for free and confirmed that it was a bad power supply.

Even if you confirmed that the power source was bad, I don't know if you could be 100% certain that it didn't eff up something else. Reading this, though, it seems like it is definitely worth a try:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5694753_fix-computer-after-power-surge.html

How do you know the hard drive is shot? Just wondering.

I don't know exactly how this works but 99% you can't just take my recovery disc and install windows with it. You won't get past the licensing stage. Microsoft isn't foolish enough to allow that.

You can get pirated operating systems, but I would highly recommend that you don't. Microsoft will probably make your life suck with all the "genuine advantage" stuff.

i got to a screen from startup which scanned everything on the computer. its a dell thing ( if i knew how to post via mobile, id show you). mainly it scanned everything hardware-wise and gave a error code. how i know thats its the HD is due to the big red X next to HD and then verified the error code with dell before i did anything. so nowdo i update my warranty for $150 or just go DIY?

clearly DIY is cheaper...but in certain instances is it best to go back to the manufacturer (ive never done this which id why i ask)?

Sucks.

What do you use this computer for? I have a desktop that I use almost exclusively for watching movies and browsing the internet. I just installed Ubuntu on it (a free OS). It has developed to the point were 99% of the functionality of windows is in Linux. It is just a little different and takes getting used to. But once you are used to it, you have the ability to go with a free OS on any computer you buy from here out.

Worst case, if you give it a try and don't like it you can just wipe the hard drive and start fresh with a windows install. Or you can try and go with a linux partition and a windows partition, however you get your hands on it...

Not trying to sell you. Just saying most people don't even consider it an option and it's pretty good.

Did you google the error code?  I doubt your hard drive is shot if the computer will boot/scan sectors etc, but I'm confused.  What do you mean by "restoring to factory settings"... Did you reinstall windows from a model-specific recovery CD including formatting the hard drive?  Or restore to an earlier point in time in windows?

It sounds like you were changing things software-wise, which I don't think is going to fix your problem .  Make sure to boot from the CD (put cd in computer, turn off, turn on, wait for "Press any key to boot from CD" message.  I wouldn't shovel out $150 on an old computer so quick but I would inquire about those discs from Dell if you haven't done so already.

I just figured he got to the BIOS screen and did some kinda test on the hard drive that failed. Something like this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00439024

It's plausible. The head of the hard drive could have scraped the platter, scratched the magnetic film, and destroyed the data that controls a key part of the OS. 

BIOS doesn't run from the HDD, right? It's built into the motherboard? So that can still boot when the hard drive is bad.

Dives, if you want to post the error and / or a pic I can pm you my phone number. Text it to me and I will post for yan as well.

Oooo how I loathe Windows Backup, it backs the virus up to the HDD partition and then tries to go back to the last save....that has the virus lol

RAM scan to check for error codes that are in limbo in the memory chips

Yes, the BIOS is located on the MOBO along with a internal speaker that uses beeps to decipher physical issues.

the HDD is what has your OS/Files/Etc. stored on it

I would recommend the warranty if you do not have any sort of computer knowledge, the tech support will come in handy for you. I usually get warranties for my Macs due to logic boards loving to crap out on me lol But I worked on campus as a computer technician prior to getting my new job and internships.

What I can offer to you is for you to boot in safe mode w/ networking, disable the Windows Backup program, install CCleaner and Malwarebytes.

Disable Win Backup (this will wipe the 8gb alotted storage on the HDD partition)

Run CCleaner to get rid of excess temp files (that causes MBAM to scan longer)

Then run MBAM for a full system scan

if this works, do a disk defrag when you get time, since I imagine you have not ran one in quite some time.