Proper method of cleaning vinyl

Hi,

I'm new to this whole thing. I've heard different things from so many people, so I turn to you guys:

What is the proper way to clean a Vinyl record? I buy some records from the thrift store that are dusty so, I just would like to know.

BTW, on that topic, since I don't have a turntable yet, is there a way I can check the record to see if it's good before I buy it?

dont use chemicals. theres a lot of cleaners out there supposedly for records, but they cause more harm than good.

get an anti-static brush. if the record is filthy, warm soapy water, but let it dry absolutely fully before playing.

if a record shines, buy.

if its dull, scratched etc, leave behind.

In similar fashion.. I have a brush that says I should buy ANOTHER brush to keep for brand new vinyl to wash off the anti-stick coating or whatever from the pressing plant. Does anyone do this? (actually clean brand new records) I feel like it's just a scam for the company to trick you into buying more of their shit. I already feel a bit duped for buying one.

Guest genericinsight

I could be bitchy and make a joke but I feel like being helpful.

johnnyblaze - a bunch of stores and websites sell vinyl cleaning products such as solutions, anti-static brushes, cloths, etc. check out turntablebasics.com or needledoctor.com - both seem to be the preferred sites to go for that stuff around here (I got my brush and cloth from turntablebasics).

this is a topic that's discussed often around here though, search function might work better next time, but hope that helped.

/potentional joke thread ruiner

Guest genericinsight
i clean every record every time i play it. especially the first time

yeah, same. You'd really be surprised at how much a difference this makes in sound quality. I honestly have this board to thank for it, I used to play dusty records and such and now have a whole new vinyl listening experience.

I bought a kit at SleeveTown when they had their X-mas sale. i got a bottle of cleaner and a really nice anti-dust cloth that's washable. all for like 10 bucks. the cleaner works great and i've had 0 problems with any of my vinyl. i use the cloth before i play any LP and it works great.

http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml