The new Alt Press...

I'll preface this by saying that I had all but lost interest in AP, mostly because my musical tastes don't quite match up with theirs anymore. But I gotta say, I really enjoyed this installment. The Bouncing Souls were my first "favorite band ever", so an oral history with them was really nice to read. The section where musicians talked about their music influences was really well done, and it was awesome to see pictures of people like Jade Puget with his Jawbreaker records, and Dan Yemin with his first press Minor Threat "Out Of Step". As far as the Blink 182 piece, I honestly have no real interest in their music anymore. But they have become an interesting story, and that wasn't at all the puff piece I was expecting. Scott, great job with that piece.

I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription in the long run, but that was a great issue.....so thanks Scott (and AP)!

Wow, I didn't expect to see this thread! Thank you for reading, man. That "The Band Who Changed My Life" special was my idea from about a year ago -- it took six-plus months to get it all put together (getting musicians to sit still long enough to write a coherent essay isn't always the easiest thing in the world to do!).

And thanks for the kind words on the cover story! It was a pretty big deal for me to write, and I'm glad people don't think it was a puff piece because I really wanted to do an honest representation of what those dudes are like now.

Also, I fully expect my karma to drop from this thread, just because people love to hate.

Guest kevinb

I read it sometimes in borders... i can't believe they didn't include a saves the day album under their summer albums

Guest kevinb

Also, I fully expect my karma to drop from this thread, just because people love to hate.

i noticed it is dropping quite a bit I thought I remembered seeing at 88 a few days ago.

whats up with that? people seriously sit on their computer all day & hit that button ? haha

i still get alt press... sure they cover some shitty bands (the brokencyde full page ad made me think of this board and i laughed for a long time.) but i can still find enough things that i am into to make it worth it for me.

i love the oral histories, especially the souls and movielife ones. and i thought that the what band changed your life was awesome. still havent gotten to the blink story yet.

just thought that i would show my support for the magazine and Scott. Maybe we should meet up at a show sometime. i was thinking of going to see the Blink show in Cleveland. so perhaps then.

i noticed it is dropping quite a bit I thought I remembered seeing at 88 a few days ago.

whats up with that? people seriously sit on their computer all day & hit that button ? haha

I was actually well over 2,000 karma about six or so months back due to a glitch on the board, but it's been slowly decreasing ever since. I always just figured there's one guy out there who really has absolutely no life whatsoever, clicking on the "smite" link once an hour for months and months. It's pretty funny.

i still get alt press... sure they cover some shitty bands (the brokencyde full page ad made me think of this board and i laughed for a long time.) but i can still find enough things that i am into to make it worth it for me.

i love the oral histories, especially the souls and movielife ones. and i thought that the what band changed your life was awesome. still havent gotten to the blink story yet.

just thought that i would show my support for the magazine and Scott. Maybe we should meet up at a show sometime. i was thinking of going to see the Blink show in Cleveland. so perhaps then.

Just to make it clear, the Brokencyde ad was just that -- an ad. You could buy an ad that said "BROKENCYDE SUCKS" if you wanted to. There's no editorial control over ads.

We've also never written about Brokencyde, ever. We never plan on doing it, either.

Guest adam526

Yea, like I said in that PM last week man, great job on the article.

I too have lost a lot of interest in the stuff AP covers, but for $12 for 12 issues, it's worth it even if I only end up reading two articles a month.

I only subscribe to AP because it's cheaper than picking up the few issues I want in any given year. I usually just flip to the last third and read about music. I'm really happy when I get issues like this because it shows how much dedication you guys have. Nice Blink article too.

And is AP going all digital or something?

I got the blink cover one a few days ago. The one thing I was really disappointing about was that Rancid just got a little section about the new record in the reviews. I am asking for a cover story which I'm not gonna get, but come on, at least an interview. It's their first record in 6 years.

We also wanted to do a feature on Rancid, but we were unable to set something up with their publicist. Sometimes things just don't work out.

I liked the revamped review section with the few Twitter style reviews... and the comparison of The Blackout to Story Of The Year, since the similarities on a few songs are just uncanny.

Just curious Scott - do you still pursue a big story on Rancid after the relate date of the new album, or do only consider doing such if there's an unexpected amount of traction on the release?

yea, after not picking up AP for a while I really liked this issue,

but I feel like I'm in the same boat with Trent Reznor when AP interviewed a couple of years ago he was asked if he still read the magazine, he responsed with the following

"I used to read it before the Vans Warped Tour bought it".

While I do still believe that the magazine has some key spots (i.e:the retrospects,top 10 essentials,..ask that guy) I feel like I cant relate to a lot of the bands the magazine covers but I tend to give it a chance every time I see someone I like is in the issue that month.

Seeing Dan Yemin talking about a band that changed his life made me really happy to see since he is definitely a musician that's changed mine. A lot of what he said about Minor Threat, I can honestly say about Paint It Black.

I will probably actually go to the store and buy this issue when I have money (I only flipped through it at Borders yesterday)

I liked the revamped review section with the few Twitter style reviews... and the comparison of The Blackout to Story Of The Year, since the similarities on a few songs are just uncanny.

Just curious Scott - do you still pursue a big story on Rancid after the relate date of the new album, or do only consider doing such if there's an unexpected amount of traction on the release?

Thanks for the feedback! I was worried about the record-review redesign, as that was my baby (and all the changes in the section were my ideas). I'm glad you dug the "tweets" -- if you count out the actual review text (not counting band/album/label/writer name), they're all exactly 140 characters. Pretty dorky, but I enjoyed the challenge of writing within the parameter.

As for Rancid, their story will get told in other magazines in the coming months and there's no point for us to try to squeeze a new angle out of it 2/3/4 months down the road. We offered them a feature, they passed because it wasn't a cover. That's that.