The new Alt Press...

yea, after not picking up AP for a while I really liked this issue,

but I feel like I'm in the same boat with Trent Reznor when AP interviewed a couple of years ago he was asked if he still read the magazine, he responsed with the following

"I used to read it before the Vans Warped Tour bought it".

While I do still believe that the magazine has some key spots (i.e:the retrospects,top 10 essentials,..ask that guy) I feel like I cant relate to a lot of the bands the magazine covers but I tend to give it a chance every time I see someone I like is in the issue that month.

Trent Reznor gets in Twitter slapfights, so that's not saying much about his current level of intelligence or common sense. He's someone who views his music as "art," and in such deems it superior to other music he doesn't like or relate to. He's apparently forgotten that people's taste in music evolves and changes, not to mention younger people generally don't like what older people like. For him to be grumpy because he grew older than our magazine's demographic and they'd rather listen to, say, The Black Parade instead of The Downward Spiral; well, that's just being petty and silly.

(Keep in mind I think Nine Inch Nails are a fantastic band -- I own all their records and zero My Chemical Romance records. But NIN's cultural influence has been waning for years, whereas a band like My Chem has seemingly not even hit their peak yet.)

yea, after not picking up AP for a while I really liked this issue,

but I feel like I'm in the same boat with Trent Reznor when AP interviewed a couple of years ago he was asked if he still read the magazine, he responsed with the following

"I used to read it before the Vans Warped Tour bought it".

While I do still believe that the magazine has some key spots (i.e:the retrospects,top 10 essentials,..ask that guy) I feel like I cant relate to a lot of the bands the magazine covers but I tend to give it a chance every time I see someone I like is in the issue that month.

Trent Reznor gets in Twitter slapfights, so that's not saying much about his current level of intelligence or common sense. He's someone who views his music as "art," and in such deems it superior to other music he doesn't like or relate to. He's apparently forgotten that people's taste in music evolves and changes, not to mention younger people generally don't like what older people like. For him to be grumpy because he grew older than our magazine's demographic and they'd rather listen to, say, The Black Parade instead of The Downward Spiral; well, that's just being petty and silly.

(Keep in mind I think Nine Inch Nails are a fantastic band -- I own all their records and zero My Chemical Romance records. But NIN's cultural influence has been waning for years, whereas a band like My Chem has seemingly not even hit their peak yet.)

You bring up a good point Scott, can I ask you about the record review section, whos idea was it to come up with the silly genre thing? Can you ask him to please drop it, its kind of annoying.I forgot to mention also that I really enjoyed the column written by Justin from the Locust.

I look forward to this new issue.

I've been a fan of AP for a few years now. In one sense, I get addicted to my collecting and my stack of uninterrupted AP mags is getting pretty high. But in spite of all the shitty bands covered, I typically find one new band I like every month. In the reviews, in the AP recommends, or in the top 10 at the back. I also like to stay somewhat in touch with new music, even if I hate most of what the kids like these days. I think it's pretty clear that there's lots of guys at AP with good music taste and sense, and that comes through in a lot of articles and features.

I can't complain too much about a magazine that had Gaslight Anthem on the cover and has frequent VC plugs. So no AP hate from me. +1 for Scott.

You bring up a good point Scott, can I ask you about the record review section, whos idea was it to come up with the silly genre thing? Can you ask him to please drop it, its kind of annoying.I forgot to mention also that I really enjoyed the column written by Justin from the Locust.

What do you mean, the genre headers for each review? See, I prefer that to before when we had walled off sections like "PUNK," "INDIE," etc. -- now, everything is intermingled, and there's a better chance of someone discovering something new. Before, it felt like people who were primarily into hardcore would only probably read the hardcore section, when there might be a band in the punk section they would really dig or vice versa. This way, they might end up reading about something they wouldn't have before and then check it out.

i think i found an error in the top 10 list.... the writer says something about thursday's standing on the edge of summer being about a relationship... and from what i can remember its about going to see his grandmother one last time before she died.

You're right. Doesn't he say so before their live performance of the song on the five stories falling EP?