*Independent Label Mailorder Appreciation*

I placed an order online with a certain well-respected label yesterday and realized upon reviewing the order confirmation that I forgot to include an LP that had finally come back in stock. So, I send an email stating the problem, that I botched it and what should I do to make sure it gets picked and packed with the first order.

Well, today I get a response saying "no problem, which record do you want?". It seemed pretty informal, so I replied asking if I should go back through the web-store and this is the reply I get:

"Cool. I'll go ahead and include that one for free. Thanks for the big order, and for the one back in December too. I also appreciate the nice notes you leave. I'll pack your order up now and ship it out. Hopefully it will be reaching you soon."

Pretty fucking cool, right? To me, that's proof that doing business with independent companies that invest in their communities is the way to go. I order from this label maybe twice a year, but I think I'm gonna spend a little more this year.

Anyone else got similar stories?

The best thing that I can remember off the top of my head is an order I placed through Recess about 10 years ago. I had ordered every FYP record plus some other stuff. When I got the order, there was a letter from Todd saying he was sorry they were out of one of the records and, if I didn't mind, they had included a couple Propagandhi records instead. Inside, there was a first press of the Prop/I Spy split and the FYP/Prop split on red. I was stoked.

Well, I don't want to get the person in trouble… so I'll just say it was a certain D.C. label.

It's funny, the first thing that I thought of when I read your post was Dischord. Did you deal with Alec? Basla? Super nice people, all of them.

Ha! I figured someone would guess correctly.

And, yes - Basla. He (she?) and I had a pretty funny email exchange back in December (which, I am surprised to find out, Basla remembers) about the virtues of NOU and packing LPs correctly for mailorder. I had also mentioned my chronic back pain, to which Basla replied:

"Sorry to hear about the bad news from your doctor. Since you said knowing you'll be getting your records soon made you happy here's a link to a few free downloads of songs I really like. Hopefully they'll help a little too."

Shit, I mean who the fuck is this nice to strangers?! Super people, most definitely!

On another note. I appreciate you not putting "appreesh" in the topic subject! Every time i read that I hear some douche rocket's voice in my head saying it.

You and I both, brother. What I especially can not stand is when the truncated version is spelled in a way that makes no sense, like "appresh" or "appreash", except to the person who wrote it. I will say, though, that the different spellings are somewhat interesting cos they indicate how people define the phonetic spelling of a long e. But really, it should stop.

On another note. I appreciate you not putting "appreesh" in the topic subject! Every time i read that I hear some douche rocket's voice in my head saying it.

You and I both, brother. What I especially can not stand is when the truncated version is spelled in a way that makes no sense, like "appresh" or "appreash", except to the person who wrote it. I will say, though, that the different spellings are somewhat interesting cos they indicate how people define the phonetic spelling of a long e. But really, it should stop.

Agreed.

I love the interaction with smaller labels, or even artists making prints. I like a little back and forth conversation with someone I'm giving my money too. It just makes a purchase seem much more complete. I have had some great interactions lately from a few different labels, those of which i am much more eager to do business with in the future.

Suprise Attack

Mike from Terribly Odd

and Hypertension records

all get shouts from me as being great to deal with.

Also Farewell Party. Forgot him. sorry dude!

i love the interactions with the people that buy from and support my label. i really try to keep things personal whenever i can and strive at making the experience as human as possible. i figure im the same as everyone else and am truly appreciative of anyone that goes out of their way to buy something i've put work into it. its really one of the most flattering things to get a simple thank you or to hear something positive from the people that care. i try to add some weird/goofy/personal note with any order i ship to add to it. whether or not people think im a weirdo or not isn't my intention but just to show that there's someone behind the screen doing this. im not really sure what this rant has to do with anything really but any sort of appreciation shared with the label is always appreciated, especially on the smaller side of things.

i love the interactions with the people that buy from and support my label. i really try to keep things personal whenever i can and strive at making the experience as human as possible. i figure im the same as everyone else and am truly appreciative of anyone that goes out of their way to buy something i've put work into it. its really one of the most flattering things to get a simple thank you or to hear something positive from the people that care. i try to add some weird/goofy/personal note with any order i ship to add to it. whether or not people think im a weirdo or not isn't my intention but just to show that there's someone behind the screen doing this. im not really sure what this rant has to do with anything really but any sort of appreciation shared with the label is always appreciated, especially on the smaller side of things.

i have the note you put in my daggermouth test tacked to my cork board because it's fucking hilarious:

"i'm sitting in my boxers as i write this. you make me wet. ap.net MHT 4lyfe."

Back before the internet (seriously, there was a time…) I ordered Fugazi's S/T EP and Amy Farina wrote a note saying something like "I hope this is the one you wanted!" (if I recall correctly my "order" had consisted of concealed cash and a handwritten note that said: "Hi […] please send me Fugazi's latest album."). I was so fucking thrilled that someone at the label had spoken to me personally - it blew my mind. I remember exactly where I was that day when I opened it up, I remember where the sun was in the sky, what was playing on the radio… it changed my life - just that one tiny gesture.

It hooked me. I am so fucking grateful.

I bought a copy of Losers, Kings and Things by Less Than Jake on purple from No Idea about a year ago with some other records. I got them in the mail with a note saying that the record's sleeve had come unglued a bit (the actual vinyl was fine) and because it was the last copy of that pressing, they sent it anyway and refunded my money. Probably the coolest thing a label has ever done for me.

Saddle Creek sent me a hand written note saying thanks and a bunch of stickers with the newest Cursive record.

I've had nothing but good times with No Idea. Once I was placing a large order, and the paying process got messed up, so I emailed them to see if my order went through so I wouldn't be charged twice, and I got 2 replies within 24 hours from different people helping me out. They've also let me pick up orders myself to save on shipping. Easily my favorite label.

When i use to order from 625records back in the day, I'd always get small little quarter page flyers with notes on the back with handwritten thankyou notes. Once i ordered a spazz/floor split and he was nice enough to send me a dropdead 5" that i had been looking for. I in turn sent him a thrash metal album he had wanted that was pretty rare and hard to find outside of texas (as they were a texas band).

I think the only actual notes i have left are from Adam (jawbreaker) and Max (625records) as they are on the back of some of my flyers. Also Sabot was nice enough to send me a AM! s/t lp for fucking up my order for 3 months. that was super nice of him..

I love the interaction with smaller labels, or even artists making prints. I like a little back and forth conversation with someone I'm giving my money too. It just makes a purchase seem much more complete. I have had some great interactions lately from a few different labels, those of which i am much more eager to do business with in the future.

Suprise Attack

Mike from Terribly Odd

and Hypertension records

all get shouts from me as being great to deal with.

Also Farewell Party. Forgot him. sorry dude!

Thanks dude!

i've gotten notes from No Idea, Saddle Creek, Suburban Home, It's Alive (i think), Hopeless (pre-sucking), AOTU, and a handfull of other smaller labels. usually just a handwritten thanks or something, but always cool nonetheless. Virgil sent a big typed out letter personalized thanking for help when the label nearly went under. No Idea sent a big one with my xmas sale order on a flyer back saying something was OOP and the stuff they'd just replaced it with and thanking me for the order. i probably have them all somewhere in my room, since i never throw anything away. i'm the biggest packrat alive.