Tim Burton Exhibit at MoMA

Guest genericinsight

I'd be into checking that out. He had an exhibit at the Museum of the Moving Image a few years ago and it was pretty rad.

Let the hate flow!

I actually enjoy quite a lot of his films. I call them films because I believe they are usually much more creative and imaginative than most of what comes out on a weekly basis. Every time his name comes up, the board is divided. It's been hashed out many times before, but I'm thankful for some of his great cinematic contributions over the years.

Let's get the shit movies out of the way. No matter what, I can't defend Planet of the Apes, the second and third Batman movies, or Sleepy Hollow.

These are all highly enjoyable...

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985)

Beetlejuice (1987) highly imaginative and original

Batman (1989) classic

Edward Scissorhands (1990) beautiful, just beautiful

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) groundbreaking

Mars Attacks! (1996) pure fun

Big Fish (2003) another beautiful, moving film

The Corpse Bride (2005) Wow, amazing, if other directors would work half as hard as he does, we might not get the weekly onslaught of inevitable garbage.

Let the hate flow!

I actually enjoy quite a lot of his films. I call them films because I believe they are usually much more creative and imaginative than most of what comes out on a weekly basis. Every time his name comes up, the board is divided. It's been hashed out many times before, but I'm thankful for some of his great cinematic contributions over the years.

Let's get the shit movies out of the way. No matter what, I can't defend Planet of the Apes, the second and third Batman movies, or Sleepy Hollow.

Batman (1989) classic

The Corpse Bride (2005) Wow, amazing, if other directors would work half as hard as he does, we might not get the weekly onslaught of inevitable garbage.

Are you kidding? The Corpse Bride was Burton trying to get the credit he wrongly received for The Nightmare Before Christmas, except the characters were unmemorable and the songs were awful. As a whole he's very hit or miss, but when he misses it's terrible. Also, I repeat the bit of being full of his own shit.

Also, he didn't direct Nightmare, he wrote the story, it was adapted to film by another writer and someone else directed it. He then ripped that style off and butchered it for Corpse Bride.

You know what, Rich? You are almost changing my mind. Haha. I didn't think about Tim not directing Nightmare...his flavor and vision are all over it though.

If his misses are pure shit (which they are), then his hits are pretty damn good. Whether undeserving or not, his style always stands out. Maybe I'm just holding on to better days(Edward S.), but I always look forward to his work. Alice in Wonderland, here we come.. :)

You know what, Rich? You are almost changing my mind. Haha. I didn't think about Tim not directing Nightmare...his flavor and vision are all over it though.

If his misses are pure shit (which they are), then his hits are pretty damn good. Whether undeserving or not, his style always stands out. Maybe I'm just holding on to better days(Edward S.), but I always look forward to his work. Alice in Wonderland, here we come.. :)

Yeah, there's a good reason Nightmare gets credited to him, it seems like a Burton Movie.

I'm overly critical of the guy (like I am of apple and other things) simply because I get inundated with people who worship him. His good movies are pretty good and his bad ones are really bad. Overall I'll take Burton before Bay.

i always though henry selick got robbed when it came to nightmare. that guys an amazing filmmaker (besides monkey bone of course, which is still fucking amusing.)

but i still enjoy burton. the way i see it, hes made a shitload of films. not all can be gems.

ed wood has to be in my top 15 films... atleast in watchability.

im excited about this exhibit.

Let the hate flow!

Batman (1989) classic

Are you kidding? The Corpse Bride was Burton trying to get the credit he wrongly received for The Nightmare Before Christmas, except the characters were unmemorable and the songs were awful. As a whole he's very hit or miss, but when he misses it's terrible. Also, I repeat the bit of being full of his own shit.

Also, he didn't direct Nightmare, he wrote the story, it was adapted to film by another writer and someone else directed it. He then ripped that style off and butchered it for Corpse Bride.

you missed a small part. the style of the characters is actually part his doing. He and another friend did the story art and model collaboration. from there the director went with that. They all were all animators and worked together so it was easily for the director to follow burton's lead.

Selick did get robbed though. He's very seldomly ever connected with it.. it's quit sad. it's not anyone else's fault. just the way it is.. just like how Irvin Kirshner gets no credit for the BEST STAR WARS movie ever directed.