Hey, a PETA thread

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hNw_VW9Dlp19RvvaxvSLo5TZRwSQD98SQ0606

The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

Huh....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hNw_VW9Dlp19RvvaxvSLo5TZRwSQD98SQ0606
The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

Huh....

I heard this on NPR this morning.

I'm considering petitioning PETA to add parasites and harmful bacteria to their list of life forms that require assistance.

They are, after all, alive and have every right to exist. Just like Obama's fly. Dousing them with chemicals in an attempt to irradicate them is cruel and inhumane.

I'm sure the same bunch that are wasting their time with flies will jump at this cause.

And hopefully they'll all die of dehydration from diarhea caused by a mild bacterial infection of the stomach.

Save the whales -- fine. Get rid of the Michael Vicks of the world -- I'm on board. But flies?

"it's just a fly" is the same attitude as "it's just a _____ (insert whatever animal you are eating)". and comparing killing an insect that is not harming you to bacteria that can kill you is absurd.

does this need to be news? of course not. but when I saw this on the news this morning (Fox news, as a matter of fact), they then followed it by saying PETA suggests using a contraption that gathers the insect unharmed. So for all the bad press PETA gets, they at least educated a lot of people that didn't know such a thing exists.

"it's just a fly" is the same attitude as "it's just a _____ (insert whatever animal you are eating)". and comparing killing an insect that is not harming you to bacteria that can kill you is absurd.

does this need to be news? of course not. but when I saw this on the news this morning (Fox news, as a matter of fact), they then followed it by saying PETA suggests using a contraption that gathers the insect unharmed. So for all the bad press PETA gets, they at least educated a lot of people that didn't know such a thing exists.

True, flies certainly don't spread illness or diseases. Plus there are only like 40 billion of them on earth. Let's humanly round them up. Can't afford to waste a one of them

Are you bored? That's slippery slope argument doesn't work when comparing a fly to a cow. I think we can all agree that's a vast, easily discernible difference between the two. PETA needs to focus on the bigger issues at hand and stop being media-whores.

True, flies certainly don't spread illness or diseases. Plus there are only like 40 billion of them on earth. Let's humanly round them up. Can't afford to waste a one of them

People never spread illness or diseases either... and what is the debate of "round them up" vs. "kill them"? There is a 3rd option, so I guess I'm missing your point.

People never spread illness or diseases either... and what is the debate of "round them up" vs. "kill them"? There is a 3rd option, so I guess I'm missing your point.

You know what dude, you're right, people shouldn't just be killing flies. However, worrying about this, making a fuss about it does two bad things for PETA which is more the point than whether Obama did something wrong:

1) Takes PETA's attention away from much higher priority issues

2) Makes PETA eevn more annoyed with PETA lowering their ability to be taken seriously.

The "round them up" or "kill them" is really the difference between using a trap and simply swatting a fly in your house. So, I'm not sure what the third option is. Perhaps you befriend the fly and use a size altering ray to go on magical adventures.

And my mention that flies spread illness and bacteria was to the point that you said you can't compare an insect that doesn't harm you to a bacteria that can kill you. Yes, you can compare them because one serves as a means of spreading the other.

I hardly think releasing a press release is being a "media whore". I don't agree with a lot of their tactics, so maybe we can agree on that. I am simply arguing the point that a living being is a living being. There is a size difference between a fly and a cow, sure, so maybe that is your point. But (in my eyes) they both have the right to exist unscathed.

And PETA is not taking attention from more important issues, that's 100% up to the "news" media. If you are truly looking for information on pressing issues, there are alternative sources besides the mainstream.

I hardly think releasing a press release is being a "media whore". I don't agree with a lot of their tactics, so maybe we can agree on that. I am simply arguing the point that a living being is a living being. There is a size difference between a fly and a cow, sure, so maybe that is your point. But (in my eyes) they both have the right to exist unscathed.

And PETA is not taking attention from more important issues, that's 100% up to the "news" media. If you are truly looking for information on pressing issues, there are alternative sources besides the mainstream.

So if you had a choice to save a baby or a fly, you would be morally torn?

o, I'm not sure what the third option is. Perhaps you befriend the fly and use a size altering ray to go on magical adventures.

I guess there's 4 options then, the 4th being to leave them alone. I usually choose the 3rd (to befriend them and talk to them about vinylz), but if they are stuck up I just let them be.

I'm still waiting for these supposed "magical adventures". let me know what you find out.

For real, you're going that route? if I HAD to kill one, I'd kill a fly. Since that decision be never forced upon me (unless it is a part of your "magical adventures", in which case, I respectfully decline), it's nonsense. And in this instance, the choice was to kill a fly or shoo him away. There were no babies involved that I was aware of.

For real, you're going that route? if I HAD to kill one, I'd kill a fly. Since that decision be never forced upon me (unless it is a part of your "magical adventures", in which case, I respectfully decline), it's nonsense. And in this instance, the choice was to kill a fly or shoo him away. There were no babies involved that I was aware of.

You're the one who said "that a living being is a living being. There is a size difference between a fly and a cow, sure, so maybe that is your point. But (in my eyes) they both have the right to exist unscathed."

You're also the one who said human beings spread illness and diseases when I mentioned it in regards to flies.

So, twice you've equated humans to flies or placed size and intelligence as non-factors in an animals right to exist. I just wanted to see how far you were willing to carry out that logic.

You're the one who said "that a living being is a living being. There is a size difference between a fly and a cow, sure, so maybe that is your point. But (in my eyes) they both have the right to exist unscathed."

You're also the one who said human beings spread illness and diseases when I mentioned it in regards to flies.

So, twice you've equated humans to flies or placed size and intelligence as non-factors in an animals right to exist. I just wanted to see how far you were willing to carry out that logic.

so you're saying that I am keeping my point with all animals being equal? then you sir, are correct. although I am for the rounding up/swatting of babies. I guess that's where i diverge.