Anxiety Meds?

Anyone ever used them. I generally just deal with the anxiety, but sometimes I would like something to help me relax if I'm having an attack or something. Anyone ever used any? Do they help? I just hate that you can become addicted to them and that the body gets used to them over time. Withdrawal = more anxiety.

I take Lexipro everyday, well I have not for 2 weeks since I keep forgetting to get it filled, but I have some .5mg ativan I take when I'm feeling really bad. The atvian works sometimes, but not all that well. It works better then xanax though, that shit did nothing for me even if I popped like 2-3 of them (I had .25mg ones). All anxiety meds are easy to get addicted to, but that is only if you abusive them, just take them only when need and never more then once or twice a day and you should be good. My current bottle of 30 pills of ativan has lasted since March or April.

I take Lexapro as well, but it's an anti-depressant, not an anti-anxiety medication. I have a script for 5mg Valium, 2x daily. I usually don't take more than one a day, if that. I've tried virtually every type of benzodiazepine available, and it's by far the best, imo. Xanax makes me too hungry, Ativan doesn't do shit, and Klonopin made me forget large chunks of time. Valium just makes me happy.

They help, most definitely.

I suggest discussing your anxiety honestly* with a doctor who is familiar with the condition - and that doesn't mean it has to be a psych. Sometimes it's beneficial if it's not a psych - from my experience, they like to hit the problem with a sledgehammer when a light tap would suffice. Like Thomas said, all benzos (benzoprine) are easy to get addicted to, some easier than others. Most of the modern benzos like cyclobenzeprine are good at treating the issue acutely unlike something like Valium which knocks yr ass out. Altho, for the condition I took Valium for, it worked well (severe muscle spasms).

* By honestly, tell them if you smoke marijuana. If not you could be looking at some bad interactions. Seriously.

Guest genericinsight

I take (and recommend) valerian root in pill form, it can be purchased at most health food stores and markets. It's really calming and soothing, not only just for anxiety attacks but nervousness in general. It also helps me relax and go to sleep at night too.

Only thing is, stuff smells REALLY bad, but I've gotten used to it. I also recommend taking it with orange juice or soda, something with a taste to it, because I find when I take it with water, the pill sometimes gets lodged in my throat. That's just me though.

I'll be looking into all of this information. Thanks. I will talk to a doctor but I wanted some opinions from everyday people, granted, most of us aren't everyday people but you know what I mean. I might try some natural stuff, but I'm leaning towards valium for a back up. Something with little to no effects to normal cognitive functioning would be good.

Addiction sucks....I suggest maybe trying some of the herbal remedies and see if they work. But if you must get a script to something good, I mean addictive. FOLLOW AS PRESCRIBED.

I myself can't take NUTHIN good, I mean addictive. But thats ONLY me. If I take a xanax i want more, and more and then a few more. Then what?? I self medicate with REAL stuff....and I'm off to the races! .....BUT as I said thats just a personal problem I have.....But for real, AS PRESCRIBED....

Will definitely avoid using meds for pleasure. I've seen that go bad places.

I have the same problem. I just worry a lot and it can really effect my mood. Every now and then I just feel wrong all day, like everything I'm doing is incorrect. I don't lash out at people or anything, it just bugs me and I hate feeling that way. I have a hard time making decisions sometimes too.

I take ativan twice a day. I don't recommend you go that route since it's highly addictive. It's a carry over from when I was in pain management. Paxil will cause you to never be able to cum. You can get hard and horny, but ejaculation takes forever. Might sound nice at first but trust me, it's very annoying to you and your partner. Lexapro is sketchy too. I had suicidal thoughts and crazy dreams on that for a long time. Finally just quit taking it. There's this stuff called Buspar you could check out.

Guest drahtuos

my doctor wouldn't give me any anxiety specific meds but just suggested anti-depressants specifically high doses of prozac instead. he said it can work really well for ocd and anxiety as well as depression. so thats what i'm on now, i notice it has altered and slightly reduced my ocd and i'm generally less anxious but anxiety/panic attacks still happen and i started involuntarily biting my cheek. for the most part i feel like i'm doing better, but it's still not great.. more recently than the meds i started doing therapy and i feel that has helped things a lot. what i'm taking probably isn't best suited for my problems but at least it's something, i wish it was easier to talk to my doctor. is it normal for doctors to flat out not prescribe anxiety specific meds?

Yeah, they try not to because of the addicting properties. When I was seeing a psychiatrist she told me they don't prescribe them, because people rely on them too much then get addicted both physically and mentally to them. They should give you a few though when you start any SSRI, because they are pretty harsh on your body for the first week or two while you adjust to them.

Guest drahtuos

hmm yeah i get that, i mean i know they are/can be addicting, i've taken them before when i had girlfriends who were prescribed them, it would just be nice to have some on hand for panic attacks. i've already made it through the adjustment process with the prozac and he never offered any. has anyone here used prozac for ocd and/or anxiety? if so how did it work out for you?

edit: oh and thomas, meaning to ask what anime is your avatar from?

hmm yeah i get that, i mean i know they are/can be addicting, i've taken them before when i had girlfriends who were prescribed them, it would just be nice to have some on hand for panic attacks. i've already made it through the adjustment process with the prozac and he never offered any. has anyone here used prozac for ocd and/or anxiety? if so how did it work out for you?

edit: oh and thomas, meaning to ask what anime is your avatar from?

Telling your doctor that you took narcotics that weren't prescribed to you is a good way to not get any narcotics actually prescribed to you.