bye bye vicodin and percocet, hello chronic pain!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31664450/ns/health-more_health_news/

Government experts say prescription drugs like Vicodin and Percocet that combine a popular painkiller with stronger narcotics should be eliminated because of their role in deadly overdoses.

A Food and Drug Administration panel on Tuesday voted 20-17 that prescription drugs that combine acetaminophen with other painkilling ingredients should be pulled off the market.

Another classic example of a few people ruining something for everyone.

Why don’t we just get rid of cars and make them illegal, because they’re involved in 100% of traffic related deaths?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah BUT, using that logic...vicodin and percocet don't kill people, taking them in the wrong doses or inappropriately in conjunction with other medications kill people.

;]

yeah, it has the possibility for addiction, but there are so many people who legitimately are in pain and need them to function. monitor them more closely? probably. ban them completely? that doesn't make sense.

So they're cool with painkillers like OxyContin that are time-release but can be crushed to all the medicine is administered at once. And I guess fentanyl is cool even though the gel can be scraped off the patches for a similar rush (just ask Jay Bennett). This reeks of the American sentiment of "You bitches need to suck it up and get over it." As long as it's not them that's suffering, they don't have any compassion whatsoever.

The tylenol is what is the harmful part of these. People get hooked to the drug and kill themselves with all the tylenol that's in there.

Cold pressing works but its a bitch to do.

Oh I see. Yeah, continual use of tylenol can definitely fuck up the liver. Still, most of those people have chronic, but relatively minor pain. You don't want to start giving those folks dilaudid or morphine or serious shit like that if they're already prone to addiction.

On the Tylenol topic, I recently read that acetaminophen is a lot worse for your body then they initially knew. It has always been know that it harms your liver, but apparently it does it at a much faster rate then they thought. Taking it with caffeine, like in migraine medicine makes it harder for your liver to cycle out the by products that can cause it damage which then causes more damage.

To totally pull this products without making a "safer" solution for people with chronic pain, or someone who just had a painful surgery is just dumb.

when i got mine out i think they just gave me some high dosage ibuprofen; nothing this strong.

Because I would imagine no one needs Vicodin or Percocet when you have your wisdom teeth pulled. Its just easier to give out the strongest thing you can so you don't get pain complaints than to actually prescribe what's actually needed. Its the same reason antibiotics are losing their potency.

when i got mine out i think they just gave me some high dosage ibuprofen; nothing this strong.

Because I would imagine no one needs Vicodin or Percocet when you have your wisdom teeth pulled. Its just easier to give out the strongest thing you can so you don't get pain complaints than to actually prescribe what's actually needed. Its the same reason antibiotics are losing their potency.

agreed. i work with a lady whom, everytime she has the slightest cough, cold or other minor ailment, goes to the doctor. if they tell her it's just a cold and do the rest, drink fluids, etc thing, she will call back the next day and demand an antibiotic because she's not better yet.

the fact that doctors give in to demands like this even though there is no medical reasoning behind it is what's causing the problems.

agreed. i work with a lady whom, everytime she has the slightest cough, cold or other minor ailment, goes to the doctor. if they tell her it's just a cold and do the rest, drink fluids, etc thing, she will call back the next day and demand an antibiotic because she's not better yet.

the fact that doctors give in to demands like this even though there is no medical reasoning behind it is what's causing the problems.

Doctor's are at fault but so are people and regulators who allow drug companies to advertise asking your doctor for meds.

Doctor's are at fault but so are people and regulators who allow drug companies to advertise asking your doctor for meds.

i agree. however, i think it's ultimately the doctor's responsbility to say 'look, you don't need this for this and this reason'. for the most part, they're just taking the easy way out. the marketing ploys use by the drug companies admittedly do make their jobs harder, though.

Well, ANYTHING taken not as prescribed is of coarse bad for anyone. Weather these cases are from abusing them or using accordingly makes a big difference.

Don't know the details, but I will tell you, I AM GETTING REAL TIRED OF OUR GOVERNMENT TELLING US, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WHAT WE CAN AND CAN NOT DO FOR OUR OWN SAFETY!!! Our own safety!! We the people are allowing little laws here and there slip by and chalking it up to "it's not a big deal" or "it doesn't really effect me"....before we know it we will be so controlled on what we can and cannot do, and our freedom will be lost!