Do you have a college degree?

this.

well, that and i'm bitter about spending so much money on the degree and being so far in debt.

also, it makes me mad that so many entry level jobs require 2 - 3 years experience in the field PLUS a degree. uhhhh sorry ive spent the last 4 years in school full time working my butt off; didn't exactly have time for a full time job in the field to get 'experience'

volunteer work is great, internships, special projects etc work as well. Even a "senior project" if you do something like that and are placed in a real world environment.

eeehhhh that's better than nothing, but not a substitute for actually holding the job and gaining experience that way, which makes it a huge catch 22.

i was offered an internship doing graphic design when i graduated, but it was fulltime and unpaid for 4 months, and they said they didn't have any openings and i wouldn't have a job at the end of that. at that point i had loans to pay, a car payment, etc, so i couldn't swing it. sucked.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about three years towards a journalism degree, but ran out of money and have not gone back. I should...maybe.

don't. it's the most useless degree at this point. it would be both a waste of time and money.

this isn't entirely true. a lot of jobs require a bachelors degree, but don't specify anything specific. at least, thats what i've found at the state. also, most of the time you get paid more or can advance further if you have any sort of degree.

I just got approved for a $4200 Pell grant, so I'll be going back to school full-time in August. I've changed majors so many times, I don't remember what I'm listed under at this point. Probably journalism, but I realized that I only chose that as a safety-net sort of thing in case I never made it as a novelist. Then I decided that, screw it, I've never really wanted to do anything else but write fiction, so I'm just going to dive into that. Maybe minor in library sciences, just in case. Then I'll at least get to be around books all the time.

don't. it's the most useless degree at this point. it would be both a waste of time and money.

Even more worthless than a philosophy degree?

the industry has taken a huge hit over the last 2 years. i have a degree in journalism & PR and all i'm being told is, "your portfolio is great but we don't have the money to hire anyone at this point."

this isn't entirely true. a lot of jobs require a bachelors degree, but don't specify anything specific. at least, thats what i've found at the state. also, most of the time you get paid more or can advance further if you have any sort of degree.

This is what I think I've been trying to get at very poorly.

It really doesn't matter WHAT you get a degree in, just get a degree (unless you have plans that legit don't need one). Get your degree in something you love, then once you have your degree, whether it's art, philosophy, creative writing, music, business, comp engineering, whatever... having A degree is the important part.

Not 100%, but good enough for most generic office jobs.

a college degree now is like a high school diploma 30, 40 years ago. back then you just needed to graduate high school and the world was pretty much your oyster. now everyone goes to college so a bachelor's degree has been de-valued slightly, it's not as prestigious as it once was. most white collar jobs require at least a bachelor's now.

getting a master's will give you a big leg up these days, as oppose to years ago when just getting a bachelor's gave you a leg up.

I graduated from a Vocational High school with a certificate in Automotive Technology along with my diploma. Now I'm working on an A.A.S for Automotive Technology and should be done with that in a few years because its only a part time program.

If all goes according to plan I'll score a job at a good dealership and work my way up to an A class tech and make crazy amounts of loot working 40 hour weeks and doing 55 hours worth of work ;). But untill then odd jobs and jiffy lubes will have to do.