Do you have a college degree?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one major was Communications and Media Management.......I now work in insurance and its only so I can fund my label that I am starting up. I guess it was good because I had no trouble getting a sweet paying job in a tough economy plus I had a blast in college so overall well worth getting.......just wish I was not is such a huge amount of debt due to it.

I only speak of the troubles my friend Kevyn has had landing a job and he graduated a few years ago. got sub work and worked in Eden for a while but even with all the string pulling he still ended up in an office job. Total bummer since he loves history.
Yea, I know plenty of stories like that. Not that I'm full of awesome (actually, I am..) but I have a few little things that get me a second look like going to Syracuse University (as opposed to Buff St., UB, Niagara, Medialle, etc.. like most other people), two majors, one of them being Economics, and so on. It doesn't get me the job, I still have to hone up on my interviewing, but everyone has said it gets a lot of eyebrows lifted.

It's still a long, tough road in finding a job.

To be fair, I know the economy is shit now, but a lot of those without a job don't always put actual effort into finding one. Of my group of friends from Syracuse, only those who continued school (me and 2 others) and 2 dolts who went for film don't have real jobs yet, and many are making good money. My best friend has even been promoted already, and its been just a year. None of these people are exceptional. One of them had a 2.4 when we graduated.

Dropped out after a few years. Getting two IT jobs this fall paying over $30/hour combined, and still leaving me time to work on DF.

Fuck college.

This is how I'd be if anywhere around here would actually hire someone without a degree. You really don't need one for IT work, just the needed certifications for the stuff you'll be in charge of.

it is really frustrating to see people with higher eduction degrees or other certifications (in my case, the CPA) getting preferred treatment (and more $$$) when in reality they are less intelligent and considerably inferior in a real life work scenario, all because they know how to memorize stuff and take a test

not to say that everyone with a masters or a CPA is worthless, but there are a ton of morons who get hired over because of paper qualifications over people who can get shit done but just dont have the certs.

it is really frustrating to see people with higher eduction degrees or other certifications (in my case, the CPA) getting preferred treatment (and more $$$) when in reality they are less intelligent and considerably inferior in a real life work scenario, all because they know how to memorize stuff and take a test

not to say that everyone with a masters or a CPA is worthless, but there are a ton of morons who get hired over because of paper qualifications over people who can get shit done but just dont have the certs.

It's not memorizing for tests, but like I said earlier, the skills that are assumed you pick up through 4+ years of college work that you get. Syracuse was fantastic at getting hiring departments of huge companies to come give talks and send letters about what they wanted from graduates, and that's exactly what it is.

It's not saying people without a college degree don't have that, it's just that the college grads have "proved" it.

It's not memorizing for tests, but like I said earlier, the skills that are assumed you pick up through 4+ years of college work that you get. Syracuse was fantastic at getting hiring departments of huge companies to come give talks and send letters about what they wanted from graduates, and that's exactly what it is.

It's not saying people without a college degree don't have that, it's just that the college grads have "proved" it.

this.

well, that and i'm bitter about spending so much money on the degree and being so far in debt.

also, it makes me mad that so many entry level jobs require 2 - 3 years experience in the field PLUS a degree. uhhhh sorry ive spent the last 4 years in school full time working my butt off; didn't exactly have time for a full time job in the field to get 'experience'

well, that and i'm bitter about spending so much money on the degree and being so far in debt.

also, it makes me mad that so many entry level jobs require 2 - 3 years experience in the field PLUS a degree. uhhhh sorry ive spent the last 4 years in school full time working my butt off; didn't exactly have time for a full time job in the field to get 'experience'

when it comes to finding a job, i am convinced that no matter how qualified you are it's all about who you know.

when it comes to finding a job, i am convinced that no matter how qualified you are it's all about who you know.

this is very true.

i have a bs in computer science w/ a minor in electrical engineering. the minor was required and i was stupid for doing ee, as it lowered my gpa and i don't use it for anything. in fact, i am pretty sure i hate ee.

i do programming, so i use it, although the school i went to was more theory than actual programming, so i use part of it i guess. it gave me a good enough base.

this.

volunteer work is great, internships, special projects etc work as well. Even a "senior project" if you do something like that and are placed in a real world environment.