the new cool vinyl bookcase at Ikea

If I wanted to make my own Expedit-type bookcase, what kind of wood should I use?

I've been meaning to hit up the local Lowes/Home Depot and getting some plywood.

Plywood is ugly. Make sure you get a nice veneer for it.

I've seen really nice stuff out of plywood, but it has to be done right to look really nice. Get ready to sand and coat it with 1,000 layers of urethane. You can bevel the edges for a nice effect. If I had the tools and the space, I would definitely make myself a custom set of shelves.

If I wanted to make my own Expedit-type bookcase, what kind of wood should I use?

I've been meaning to hit up the local Lowes/Home Depot and getting some plywood.

plywood would be easy and cheap

and they have this stuff to put over the edges to make it a nice clean finish, and it turns out looking just like normal wood for a 1/4 of the cost

I plan on making a crazy contraption out of pine boards. It's going to be a 2x2 set of 13x13 boxes, except horizontally in between will be an 8" shelf divided twice so it's three boxes. This is so it's unique, and also because I don't know how to screw the vertical dividers of the big boxes if they line up perfectly. I'm not that good with tools.

I've got it designed and a list of supplies, but this won't happen til June probably.

plywood would be easy and cheap

and they have this stuff to put over the edges to make it a nice clean finish, and it turns out looking just like normal wood for a 1/4 of the cost

Sounds like you're talking about veneer. It's basically a covering that goes over the MDF/plywood and makes it look like real wood. Bare plywood is ugly.

• 3 weeks later...

for anyone thats had trouble with ikea shipping prices when trying to buy online i highly suggest calling and ordering. i tried buying this expedit online http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80071319 and shipping was over 250 bucks. when calling it was atleast half that price its still rather expensive but for those like me that live hours away from one it can be worth it. they also ship the accessories if you call and order over the phone...even though on the website it says they dont ship them

for anyone thats had trouble with ikea shipping prices when trying to buy online i highly suggest calling and ordering. i tried buying this expedit online http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80071319 and shipping was over 250 bucks. when calling it was atleast half that price its still rather expensive but for those like me that live hours away from one it can be worth it. they also ship the accessories if you call and order over the phone...even though on the website it says they dont ship them

I work at the Portland, OR store, and I've been told that anything that's bought online is shipped from a distribution center in Baltimore, Maryland via UPS/USPS and you pay shipping by the pound. That's why shipping is so expensive for our customers in the Oregon region at least. There's also a difference between corporate IKEAs like my store and franchised IKEAs (ie: Seattle who actually ships from their store not a distribution center).