i want to fight a dead guy.

and for once i'm not making some sort of zombie reference.

so my co-worker's husband died over the weekend and i went to the viewing on tuesday for him. the funeral was yesterday and apparently they had him cremated (which is weird in and of itself because i had seen his body the day before and they must have fast tracked some crazy over night cremation).

anyways, since i'm the closest one to her in my unit, i'm unofficially in charge of getting people to sign a sympathy card, etc. the supervisor from the unit over pulled me aside this morning to let me know that my friend's husband left her with NOTHING. no life insurance policy, no bank account, not even anything to cover the cost of his funeral.

i knew he was a jerk to her, and they had separate bank accounts and she had no idea what he made or what he did with his money, but this is beyond awful. how can you be married for 24 years to someone and leave them in this situation? he was sick for awhile, so he had more than enough time to get things in order. he was a gluttonous slob who weighed over 400lbs and mooched off of her and her mother. they lived in the house that my co-worker was literally born in, and her 80-something year old mother who weighs literally under 100lbs sopping wet took care of him and wheeled him around.

the only thing he left her was debt. he had bought a brand new truck for himself in the last 6 months, and it's hardly paid off at all. even if she sells it, she'll be losing money because he owes so much on it.

i also hate when people like him die and everyone's all 'oh he was such a beautiful human being' and make up all this crap about him being caring and compassionate and doing good for others, blah blah blah.

i seriously want to fight him. ...seriously.

I'm an insurance guy. I mainly deal in the P&C side of it, but I also do Life and Health insurance.

You'd be amazed at how many people de-emphasize the importance of life insurance.

Not that a 400lb loser could have bought life insurance that would have been remotely affordable at that state, but still. To me, it's the first thing you should do for a child when it is born. Permanent life insurance (whole life, universal life, etc) is dirt cheap for a child only a few weeks old. And the price never changes for the rest of your life.

Everyone needs it. Get it when it's the cheapest. It's a no brainer.

1 in 400 people file a claim on their homeowner's insurance

1 in 40 file a claim on their auto insurance

1 in 4 file a claim on their health insurance

1 in 1 file a claim on their life insurance (if they have the right kind).

Death is unavoidable, folks. Today, tomorrow, a year from now, it's going to happen. Leave your loved ones something to get over the hump and pay off your bills. Leave a legacy, even. Change the landscape of your family.

It's the most important thing you can do.

that being said, i'd marry either of you guys. (directed at juan and alan)

good dudes are hard to find.

Thanks Allison, if i had to pick one lady to spend the zombie apocalypse with. it'd be you.

also, Thunderdome references are awesome.

Shes hotter then Tina Turner though.

<3

i dunno about being hotter than tina turner! well, in her prime at least, haha.

I'm an insurance guy. I mainly deal in the P&C side of it, but I also do Life and Health insurance.

You'd be amazed at how many people de-emphasize the importance of life insurance.

Not that a 400lb loser could have bought life insurance that would have been remotely affordable at that state, but still. To me, it's the first thing you should do for a child when it is born. Permanent life insurance (whole life, universal life, etc) is dirt cheap for a child only a few weeks old. And the price never changes for the rest of your life.

Everyone needs it. Get it when it's the cheapest. It's a no brainer.

1 in 400 people file a claim on their homeowner's insurance

1 in 40 file a claim on their auto insurance

1 in 4 file a claim on their health insurance

1 in 1 file a claim on their life insurance (if they have the right kind).

Death is unavoidable, folks. Today, tomorrow, a year from now, it's going to happen. Leave your loved ones something to get over the hump and pay off your bills. Leave a legacy, even. Change the landscape of your family.

It's the most important thing you can do.

yeah, my dad keeps telling me that he's worth way more dead than he is alive, haha.

but seriously, i'm only 24 and i have life insurance through work. granted, it's only for as much as i make a year, but that's more than enough to pay for a funeral and any outstanding debts that i have.

yeah, my dad keeps telling me that he's worth way more dead than he is alive, haha.

but seriously, i'm only 24 and i have life insurance through work. granted, it's only for as much as i make a year, but that's more than enough to pay for a funeral and any outstanding debts that i have.

Having insurance through work is a great piece to an insurance portfolio. But if it's your only piece, I'd be concerned.

Insurance through work is owned by the company, not you. If you leave, get fired, laid off, etc, the insurance terminates along with your employment. Your next position may not offer that coverage at all. So think about it. Even if by some odd chance you wind up staying at this same job you have right now until you retire at 65, that life insurance (if it is still offered by then) will terminate when you retire. Then you're 65, maybe not so healthy anymore, and so on. But you're not dead yet, so you still have a need for life insurance. Try seeing how much insurance is then. Most can't afford it or else just buy a burial policy because that's all they can afford. I want to slap people sometimes.

If I were you, seriously, I'd look into getting a modest sized whole life policy. Say, 25k. This way you own something independent of any employer and have a premium locked in at an early age. Be sure to get it with a reputable company -- State Farm, Met Life, New York Life, etc. For you, female, age 24, I'd say it would be around 25 - 35 per month. But that never changes. And the policy grows over time through dividends. That 25k policy at age 24 could be worth 100k by the time you're 80 depending on performance.

Just a suggestion. Don't fall into the same trap everyone else does. Especially since it upset you so.

Having insurance through work is a great piece to an insurance portfolio. But if it's your only piece, I'd be concerned.

Insurance through work is owned by the company, not you. If you leave, get fired, laid off, etc, the insurance terminates along with your employment. Your next position may not offer that coverage at all. So think about it. Even if by some odd chance you wind up staying at this same job you have right now until you retire at 65, that life insurance (if it is still offered by then) will terminate when you retire. Then you're 65, maybe not so healthy anymore, and so on. But you're not dead yet, so you still have a need for life insurance. Try seeing how much insurance is then. Most can't afford it or else just buy a burial policy because that's all they can afford. I want to slap people sometimes.

If I were you, seriously, I'd look into getting a modest sized whole life policy. Say, 25k. This way you own something independent of any employer and have a premium locked in at an early age. Be sure to get it with a reputable company -- State Farm, Met Life, New York Life, etc. For you, female, age 24, I'd say it would be around 25 - 35 per month. But that never changes. And the policy grows over time through dividends. That 25k policy at age 24 could be worth 100k by the time your 80 depending on performance.

Just a suggestion. Don't fall into the same trap everyone else does. Especially since it upset you so.

i'm trying to get my car paid off in the next year or so, then i'll look into this. for now i think i'll take my chances being that i'm only 24 and have no dependents. if i was married or had kids, it would be a different story all together.

i'm trying to get my car paid off in the next year or so, then i'll look into this. for now i think i'll take my chances being that i'm only 24 and have no dependents. if i was married or had kids, it would be a different story all together.

I don't know you. You're not one of my clients, so I have no responsibility to you what so ever. So I really don't care what you do.

But I hear the same bullshit excuses every day. I'm paying this off, I'm saving for this or that, I just bought a house, I'm still young, I'm still single, so on and so forth. I'll do it next year.

Then next year it's something else.

I bet your fat man in the story made the same excuses.

One of our clients kept doing this -- putting things off. Then got hit by a drunk driver and was killed. He was 26. So you're not likely to have a heart attack tomorrow. Neither were the people at the WTC on 9/11. Neither were all the people that died in car accidents on the way to work this morning. They're all just as dead.

And if you asked them before they died, they'd all swear it was never going to happen to them.

It's your life. I don't care. Just practice what you preach.

I don't know you. You're not one of my clients, so I have no responsibility to you what so ever. So I really don't care what you do.

But I hear the same bullshit excuses every day. I'm paying this off, I'm saving for this or that, I just bought a house, I'm still young, I'm still single, so on and so forth. I'll do it next year.

Then next year it's something else.

I bet your fat man in the story made the same excuses.

One of our clients kept doing this -- putting things off. Then got hit by a drunk driver and was killed. He was 26. So you're not likely to have a heart attack tomorrow. Neither were the people at the WTC on 9/11. Neither were all the people that died in car accidents on the way to work this morning. They're all just as dead.

And if you asked them before they died, they'd all swear it was never going to happen to them.

It's your life. I don't care. Just practice what you preach.

WHOA.

i'm preaching (if 'preaching' is even the right word) that if you have a wife of 24 years that you love, you should a. share things with her like finances, your will, etc and b. don't mooch off of someone for that long and then leave them high and dry.

if i got hit by a bus and died tomorrow, i have no one depending on me or my income. if i was married or had children, i would definitely have a. a will and b. enough life insurance to cover them.

i feel like i'm stuck in a bad infomercial right now.

But that's the mistake people make. They plan for what they have today, not what they will have or what can happen tomorrow.

Do you plan on having dependents? If yes, why wait? It's only going to get more expensive.

If you think it's an infomercial, that's fine. I don't care. It just bothers me that someone mentions someone else not having insurance when they don't have it themselves.

And why would you want to pass on your burial expense to your parents? They'll be devastated in losing a daughter. And then have to pay for it on top.

It's not a subject to be taken lightly.

But that's the mistake people make. They plan for what they have today, not what they will have or what can happen tomorrow.

Do you plan on having dependents? If yes, why wait? It's only going to get more expensive.

If you think it's an infomercial, that's fine. I don't care. It just bothers me that someone mentions someone else not having insurance when they don't have it themselves.

And why would you want to pass on your burial expense to your parents? They'll be devastated in losing a daughter. And then have to pay for it on top.

It's not a subject to be taken lightly.

i DO have life insurance.

i really don't think you're getting what i'm saying at all here.