how to ship records...again!

i don't use cardboard or bubble wrap, but i use old magazines and rip out the pages in them, then i crinkle them up a little bit and place around the sides (makes it sort of lenient, so if the record moves at all, it's not just slamming into the pages, the pages give to comfort the record), and then i usually place it on top and bottom after crinkling them (takes up space so record moves less).

i haven't gotten any complaints, and it also doesn't weigh too much more so it's still under a pound.

I think the basics of mailing records could be summed up as follows:

5. ALWAYS insist that you can send records via media mail if your post office worker is an idiot.

My post office won't let me ship it through media, they say you can only do it if something is not fragile, like books. They refuse.

I usually have to wait until I eat pizza before I can send any records out.

I once got a pizza box to mail a bunch of records and shirts home. I taped the records, which were in plastic, to the bottom of the box so they were secure, and the shirts kept it all nice and safe. Resourceful!

I'm gonna have a huge package of records and shit to send Yu. I don't even know how I'm going to do this.

I think the basics of mailing records could be summed up as follows:

5. ALWAYS insist that you can send records via media mail if your post office worker is an idiot.

My post office won't let me ship it through media, they say you can only do it if something is not fragile, like books. They refuse.

they're stupid then.

print this out and hand it to them:

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm

get the two records out of the cover and ship it normally.

@ forgeagain and ericxthexred: two great posts, those should be more in evidence.

anyway i guess it's not so important if you use bubble wrap, cardboard fillers or newspapers. the most important is protecting the corners, pulling the record out of the cover and avoiding the record and cover to move inside the mailer. that's all.

they're stupid then.

print this out and hand it to them:

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm

Wow, definitely going to do that.

I've only had a couple instances where the postal worker tried arguing and saying I couldn't ship an LP/7" media mail. I always demand to ask the manager or one of the older looking people and they always say records are covered. Most of the time it's not a problem.

BTW, a couple days ago I went to the post office to ship some stuff and a lady stopped me and asked me where I got the LP mailer. Turns out her son was a big vinyl fan and was looking for mailers. That was pretty cool.

I've only had a couple instances where the postal worker tried arguing and saying I couldn't ship an LP/7" media mail. I always demand to ask the manager or one of the older looking people and they always say records are covered. Most of the time it's not a problem.

Even though all the people there are old, they always give me shit. I hate being there, so I just comply so I could get out. But I really wanna ship out a record soon just so I could shove that piece of paper in their face.

I am truly confused as to why you would insist on someone going thru all these preparations, and hassle on how to properly package it, and then send it bargain basement style using media mail. If the COST of shipping the record is truly an issue...then you must not be dealing with records that you attach any real value to...correct? If you were getting a record worth some $$$ then it shouldn't matter how much it costs to mail it.

There just seems to be this weird irony of using bubble wrap, cardboard shims, record mailers, then mailing it AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE... which also, of course, is the slowest, which means more time for the record to bounce around and possibly get damaged further.

I am truly confused as to why you would insist on someone going thru all these preparations, and hassle on how to properly package it, and then send it bargain basement style using media mail. If the COST of shipping the record is truly an issue...then you must not be dealing with records that you attach any real value to...correct? If you were getting a record worth some $$$ then it shouldn't matter how much it costs to mail it.

There just seems to be this weird irony of using bubble wrap, cardboard shims, record mailers, then mailing it AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE... which also, of course, is the slowest, which means more time for the record to bounce around and possibly get damaged further.

I don't care either way how my stuff is shipped as long as it gets to me. I've never had problems with media mail, and I've never had problems with priority. It comes down to preference. Media is nice and cheap, so if I don't care how long it takes, I ask for that. If it's something I'm paying a lot for and want right away, I'll kick in the extra for priority.

That sucks.

I shipped 100 7"s the other day by media mail and the lady didn't say anything to me. I use the airport post office in San Antonio cause they're in the know and open on Sundays. 8-)

i think that a lot of people use Media since 9 times out of 10 the other person is using Media and there's nothing like the other person getting their record in two days and you waiting two weeks.