Beginner's guitarrrr

I have no strong desires to be in a band, I'm never going to be amazing, but I've found that when I dick around on my friends' guitars, I kind of pick up on how it works in not a terrible amount of time. After a good 6 mo. of this, I figured maybe I'll look into buying one myself.

I'd much rather have an acoustic, so with that in mind, what is a cheap but not shitty guitar for someone to play around with? I'd like it to hold it's tuning well enough and sound decent, but don't have $500 to spend. Wandering through Guitar Center here I found a bunch under $150 but don't want to pick out a shitter. Any ideas?

Guest kissthesharks

Guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend.com have some ibanaz starter packs under $300 I believe. I almost got it. There are really nothing but good reviews on them. Check that out.

Guest markovianprocess
I don't really know any acoustics for that cheap that aren't going to be crappy. My advice would be to just go there and play a whole bunch of different kinds and then see what you like the most and then take into account how much it cost versus a cheaper guitar you might not be so crazy about.

If you can find one of these Lorenzo L449's, they were voted the best acoustic under £1000 award in 2004. http://www.guitarbitz.com/350.htm

Either that or Yamaha acoustics. I'm an acoustic musician and it's unusual to see someone kicking about playing smallish venues without one. I played a show a few months ago where every single person was using Yamaha gear. The whole range is pretty much of good quality and good value. I use one of their very cheap models (an old F310) live with an acoustic pickup and it sounds great.

The best advice you will get is to go in and try a bunch of them out and see what you like in your price range. The best thing you can do is to avoid any guitars which look quite bling with lots of shiny fret inlays and that, because usually they are covering up the fact the guitar isn't very good and it's money wasted on what should have been spent on good tonewood.

Guest kissthesharks

Also, pawn shops and flea markets are usually a good place..what markovian said hit the nail on the head. Also, whatever you get, take it to a music store and ask them to set it up for you. I can't stress that enough.

Guest kissthesharks
A decent setup is going to cost you at least $50-75.

I feel it's worth it unless he has a friend that could do it.

markovian is right on all aspects. When it comes to acoustics, it can get sketchy if you are buying a under $300 guitar (new). Action, depth, and neck width are all aspects i look for in a guitar. Also usually a guitar new under $100 isn't really worth much. Unless you got a good deal on a used. Cheap guitars tend to bow over time or dry out and due to price isn't worth fixing. To get a decent acoustic you probably are not gonna get anythng under $300. Then again i have an ear for the sound i like so im a bit more anal about picking one out. Also setups are a must when buying a new guitar. And Martin is spot on about a setup. Everyone should get their guitar setup after purchase. Whether it be new or used.

Also if you plan on a guitar. buy a acoustic over a acoustic electronic. usually the tone is better in acoustic only guitars over electric acoustic when it comes to the same price range.

You can get "factory guitars" good enough to learn on for under $200 nowadays. They cheap out on tonewood, and usually have plain fretmarkers, painted headstocks and tacky binding... but as far as getting a guitar with a working truss rod, decent fretwork, proper intonation and tuners that work, there's a ton of stuff in the $150 - 200 range that should suit you well enough to learn on.

You can get "factory guitars" good enough to learn on for under $200 nowadays. They cheap out on tonewood, and usually have plain fretmarkers, painted headstocks and tacky binding... but as far as getting a guitar with a working truss rod, decent fretwork, proper intonation and tuners that work, there's a ton of stuff in the $150 - 200 range that should suit you well enough to learn on.

i guess. i keep forgetting that it's just to learn on and not buying for quality and sound.

Ideas about tone change drastically when you're learning. I think, especially with an acoustic guitar, the imperatives are that it stays in tune/intonated properly, it's enjoyable to play, and it lasts a couple of years.

I don't think sounding good and being easy on the wallet are always mutually exclusive, but at some point you have to decide how many rabbit holes you're willing to go down when you're just starting out. Pick a few things that look cool in your price range and research them online.