Avid Reader? VC Community Book Reading?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Noise is amazing. I mentioned Confederacy of Dunces and Jonathan Lethem--As She Climbed Across the Table. As long as my recipient likes modern fiction, my short list would also include:

Nicholson Baker--A Box of Matches

Michael Chabon--Mysteries of Pittsburgh or Wonder Boys

Milan Kundera--The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Rick Moody--The Ice Storm

I've also got a pretty decent collection of poli-sci, memoirs, and biographies in case anyone wants non-fiction.

i think one thing to remember when picking a book is, as i understand it, you are not picking something for one person - but for a group of 3 or 4. the thought process should be less about picking something for an individual and more of picking something you want to spread to as many people as possible.

People should sign up for this site: http://www.librarything.com/

It's a social networking site for readers.

You can add your library, create reviews, and even get recommendations from the system and others.

It's still in beta form, so there is a lot of things that are being tested or may not work that well, but so far it's pretty solid.

So far it's been pretty rad for me.

Thanks for this. I just signed up -- sounds great!

This is indeed awesome!

Should we think about using this site for our VC book club? It could help organize it efficiently…

White Noise is amazing. I mentioned Confederacy of Dunces and Jonathan Lethem--As She Climbed Across the Table. As long as my recipient likes modern fiction, my short list would also include:

A Confederacy of Dunces is probably my all-time favorite novel. I try to re-read that every couple of years.

Consequently, my curiosity is piqued at your mention of the Lethem novel (of which I'm totally unfamiliar) in the same sentence as Confederacy. Sign me up.

i think one thing to remember when picking a book is, as i understand it, you are not picking something for one person - but for a group of 3 or 4. the thought process should be less about picking something for an individual and more of picking something you want to spread to as many people as possible.

this is actually a really good point. for some reason, I was thinking Win-up Bird was a lot shorter than that.

A Confederacy of Dunces is probably my all-time favorite novel. I try to re-read that every couple of years.

Consequently, my curiosity is piqued at your mention of the Lethem novel (of which I'm totally unfamiliar) in the same sentence as Confederacy. Sign me up.

Lethem is probably my favorite modern author. His work is consistently brilliant and he has the ability to artfully span many genres. He's written a detective story, sci-fi, epic-buddy novel, etc. and all of them are among the best in their league. That said, ASCATT doesn't have much in common with Dunces, though I did mention them in the same post.

Would it be easier and less costly if Tom was to just buy/lend his own copy of the book(s) rather than us mailing? I can only imagine that the cumulative cost of mailing back and forth would equal or exceed the cost of him buying a used copy from a shop…

Yes dude, that totally makes sense. I think i am making this a bit awkward for people.

either, count me out if it makes the numbers easier.

But, if i am needed to make up the numbers then i will ship my book to the first person on the list. and then just email me the details of the book and i will try to pick them up in the UK.

Then all you need to do is the last person mail my book back.

That cool with people?

Would it be easier and less costly if Tom was to just buy/lend his own copy of the book(s) rather than us mailing? I can only imagine that the cumulative cost of mailing back and forth would equal or exceed the cost of him buying a used copy from a shop…

Yes dude, that totally makes sense. I think i am making this a bit awkward for people.

But, if i am needed to make up the numbers then i will ship my book to the first person on the list. and then just email me the details of the book and i will try to pick them up in the UK.

That cool with people?

That checks out completely and I entirely understand this. Though I kind of liked the idea of sending my books to you -- adds to the intrigue of the subsequent story. Tom Fraj -- international man of mystery reading my copy of whatever book it is.

So long as you send the initial book, that's cool. I'd even agree to be the one that gets your book last and hast to ship it back to you.

Would people be upset if I sent Vali Nasr's The Shia Revival? It's a book I've been meaning to read myself and I've gotten it recommended to me quite a few times. I find myself reading non-fiction more than fiction most of the time.

send what ever sounds good...but know this...i WILL judge you if its terrible.....

just dont judge me if my book doesnt suit you, is all i ask.

That cool with people?

That checks out completely and I entirely understand this. Though I kind of liked the idea of sending my books to you -- adds to the intrigue of the subsequent story. Tom Fraj -- international man of mystery reading my copy of whatever book it is.

So long as you send the initial book, that's cool. I'd even agree to be the one that gets your book last and hast to ship it back to you.

Well in that case dude, if we are splitting in to small groups of 3 or 4, then why don't we, for the first round, make a group that doesn't mind shipping to the UK, So like you, Casey and someone else that doesn't mind.Then for the second round of people etc, my book can stay in the states until everything is over and the remaining books i can pick up over here. Think that makes sense.

FWIW-I'll totally send Tom a book. I owe the dude a solid.

And Casey you don't owe me anything. I am glad to help. Like i said in a previous post, i love spreading the word on films/music/books i love!

I don't mind shipping to the UK either.

I am not sure what to send. I am an avid AK Press reader but I also read a lot of horror type fiction or politcal based novels like 1984, A Brave New World, Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men, etc. I think my first book will be the controversial memoir: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, if that's okay with everyone. Being a recovering drug addict I found the book amusing and entertaining, even if it was partially false.

I don't mind shipping to the UK either.

I am not sure what to send. I am an avid AK Press reader but I also read a lot of horror type fiction or politcal based novels like 1984, A Brave New World, Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men, etc. I think my first book will be the controversial memoir: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, if that's okay with everyone. Being a recovering drug addict I found the book amusing and entertaining, even if it was partially false.

Oh man, there are so many better drug memoirs. I'm also into AK Press stuff, but if I'm in your circle, please forego the James Frey.

I don't think I've ever read anything that really glorified drug use other than Hunter S. Thompson. The books I mentioned are pretty brutally honest with all of the aspects that come with drug use. If you're looking for something to reinforce the beliefs you have about addiction, those books will do that, good or bad.

I don't really need my opinions reinforced I just don't feel like reading a novel that only talks about the "good" things that drug use does. I want to hear the entire story of how drugs affected someone, both good and bad. I will look into those books. Thanks for the recommendations.