Avid Reader? VC Community Book Reading?

its "best beach books" - so that kinda changes things. i dont usually wake up and think "hmm, i am going to go to the beach and read Atlas Shrugged" - i would rather have something that is a little more fun and less heavy handed

either way, still agree its a list driven more by women.

edit - i like to see Dune on the list. nothing like going to a place full of sand to read about a planet covered in sand

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's best beach books ever. Makes a difference. They're going for light, summer reading. Hence Harry Potter being #1.

Just saw that. Why then is Anna Karenina on there at all, let alone so high?

An 800+ page epic is hardly light, summer reading unless you're a professor of english or something.

Same could be said of Pride and Predjudice, really. The Old Man and The Sea is extremely light and quick and ties in with the beach quite nicely given the ocean imagery, yet it's near the bottom of the barrel.

This list is just all wrong.

I've read 26 of the 100, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the same 24 selections, with maybe a few exceptions.

I've never seen a single moment nor read a single word of anything to do with Harry Potter.

This is going to be my epitaph, now that I think of it.

Uh-oh.

Drabley - your book made it to Philadelphia's 100% reliable USPS main, and I apparently forgot the zip code, so it came back to me today. Sending it back out tomorrow AM. Shit, sorry!!

No worries. I read fairly fast, so I'm not concerned.

Tom -- you get yours yet?

No, not yet dude.

I am waiting on a few records also so it's probably just the UK post office being a bit rubbish, i will drop a post when i get it.

Hunter S. Thompson and Charles Bukowski are must read. Pick up any and everything by them. I'm not into "classic' literature, ie: Emily Bronte, Mark Twain, Proust, etc. , but books that I would deem (and are generally regarded as) classics, written in the last 1/2 century are John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces Don Delillo's White Noise and Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Anyone who wants to be well-read would be doing themselves a huge service by reading those three books.

EDIT: Also, anything by John Irving, esp. A Prayer for Owen Meany, The World According to Garp, and The Hotel New Hampshire.

Nick, if you want any more recommendations, feel free to pm me.

Hunter S. Thompson and Charles Bukowski are must read. Pick up any and everything by them. I'm not into "classic' literature, ie: Emily Bronte, Mark Twain, Proust, etc. , but books that I would deem (and are generally regarded as) classics, written in the last 1/2 century are John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces Don Delillo's White Noise and Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Anyone who wants to be well-read would be doing themselves a huge service by reading those three books.

EDIT: Also, anything by John Irving, esp. A Prayer for Owen Meany, The World According to Garp, and The Hotel New Hampshire.

Nick, if you want any more recommendations, feel free to pm me.

definitely. i love bukowski, and plan on reading a lot of hunter s. thompson. and i will read the other books for sure.

Hunter S. Thompson and Charles Bukowski are must read. Pick up any and everything by them.

Hunter S. Thompson used to guest-teach English and literature classes at my high school. I have some funny stories about that guy. I don't think he ever showed up sober.

That's really fucking cool. As far as Hesse goes, I've only ever read Demian, but I enjoyed it. I have a lot of his books; need to give them a shot sometime.

Hunter S. Thompson and Charles Bukowski are must read. Pick up any and everything by them.

Hunter S. Thompson used to guest-teach English and literature classes at my high school. I have some funny stories about that guy. I don't think he ever showed up sober.

Reminds me of some Dylan Thomas quotes:

I've just had eighteen straight whiskies. I think that's the record.

An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.

Also reminds me of some Bukowski stories. I think I need a Vodka-7.

My book still hasn't shown up! UK postal service is shit.

I have read Steppenwolf, it was ok, but i found it quite difficult to get in to.

I am currently reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland again, its just as good as i remember.

I have Rant by Chuck Palahniuk in my to read pile, just can't motivate myself to start it.

can't stand chuck p. i got more than half way through fight club and gave up.

He is ok. I loved fight club and choke. Lullaby was ok. Didn't really get survivor and can never work out why a lot of people say its their favourite. still have diary and rant on my shelf waiting to be read.

I really like the short stories in Haunted, but thought the narrative bit was odd.

Rant is a good one, it's a slooooww start but when it picks up, it picks up.

I finished Murakami's The Wild Sheep Chase which was my first suggested read sent through this group (am I the winner for first done?) When I read the back cover, I was like "mythology and mystery? This is NOT my style..." and thought I'd hate it. It started off unfocused and jumped around, but when the story settled in on the main plot, it was pretty tough to put down. I was at work with 15 middle-school aged kids screaming all around me and I still sat there reading.

Very pleasant surprise.. makes me want to pick up his first two, since the internet tells me this is sort of the third in a trilogy. I'm kind of angry that the note from Vince says that's what would happen. I don't like being told I'm going to like something and then actually like it!

glad you enjoyed it! Dance, Dance, Dance is the next book in the "Rat Trilogy" that i is worth a read. i have not been able to get my hands on the first book, however.

i think you might be the first one done, so just talk to the person you ship to and see when they are ready for the second volume. i am about 15-20% done with my book, but will be sure to kill a couple of pages tonight

Rant is a good one, it's a slooooww start but when it picks up, it picks up.

I finished Murakami's The Wild Sheep Chase which was my first suggested read sent through this group (am I the winner for first done?) When I read the back cover, I was like "mythology and mystery? This is NOT my style..." and thought I'd hate it. It started off unfocused and jumped around, but when the story settled in on the main plot, it was pretty tough to put down. I was at work with 15 middle-school aged kids screaming all around me and I still sat there reading.

Very pleasant surprise.. makes me want to pick up his first two, since the internet tells me this is sort of the third in a trilogy. I'm kind of angry that the note from Vince says that's what would happen. I don't like being told I'm going to like something and then actually like it!

I can't believe you have finished your book already, mine is still in the post somewhere!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.