VC stuff being flipped on ebay

This isn't an "OMG CUH-RAZY Ebay" thread but really an odd observation. It's happened several times where Virgil has started stocking an item that I (and apparently several others) thought was OOP. Sure enough he sells out and then it pops up on ebay a day or two later. It never really sells for that much but kids always try it. And this isn't even in regards to items that were in print that VC carried (such as "Goddamnit"or other titles that are now selling for more) but stuff that people went "I didn't know you could still find that in print".

I just thought it was an interesting testament to how popular VC has become.

Some titles I noticed this happening with:

American Steel: Rouges March

Waxwing: Only For Madmen

Bronx: Bats!

Guest scriptedrain

It sucks because each restock is turning into a who-can-get-it-first, in terms of being able to make bank or have leverage for trades.

I don't know how anyone could be surprised by that at all. I mean, if you look at the trade and sales section of the site, quite a few of the threads are about VC releases that came out the week before with people trying to sell the new colors/buy the new colors. Of course that is going to move off onto eBay as well.

And to be quite honest, this will happen quite a bit more as people who don't care about VC buy up the releases specifically to resell on eBay. Same thing happened with VLV and other websites.

It sucks because each restock is turning into a who-can-get-it-first, in terms of being able to make bank or have leverage for trades.

It doesn't suck if you are the first to do this. Also, this has been a complaint people have had for years. This is why Hydrahead and other labels had lists of people "banned" from ordering their records because they would buy then flip immediately.

But really, labels have no right to complain. If they don't like it, they really shouldn't be pressing 30 different color variations of the same record. Then again, if they didn't press so many variations of the same record, more than likely 70% of the entire release would never be sold in the first place because you don't have a horde of people buying & rebuying the same record to have on different colors.

Also, this has been a complaint people have had for years. This is why Hydrahead and other labels had lists of people "banned" from ordering their records because they would buy then flip immediately.

So that's why they keep cancelling my orders, I didn't sell them, but I ordered 5 copies of Hell songs in one go, and since then they won't let me buy anything, although, I'm not loosing out, if I get their releases on ebay it still winds up cheaper after their shit shipping costs

But really, labels have no right to complain. If they don't like it, they really shouldn't be pressing 30 different color variations of the same record. Then again, if they didn't press so many variations of the same record, more than likely 70% of the entire release would never be sold in the first place because you don't have a horde of people buying & rebuying the same record to have on different colors.

Thats how I feel about all that. Plus bands are just cleaning out hard core fans bank accounts. Against Me owns all of you.

And all this talk about people who don't like flippers. How about distributors buying all the records from the label so then the label sells out and we have to pay a higher price at the distributors. The entire retail world is about flipping.

WOAH!!! This isn't (or wasn't) about "EBAY/flipping is bad". It was about how Virgil would stock an item that I/others thought was out of print and then it would start to be more widely distributed. I really just thought it was interesting that VC had enough buyers that they actually impact the market like that.

Since the release of Bats! on VC I've seen several other retailers carry it online but before that no one had it.

Please god, no more flipping debates or ebay debates.

Guest scriptedrain

It doesn't suck if you are the first to do this.

I don't do it, so regardless it does suck for me. Records are for listening to. I realize people have other agendas, I still think it sucks whether I happen to get the records out of a restock I want or not.

Thats how I feel about all that. Plus bands are just cleaning out hard core fans bank accounts. Against Me owns all of you.

Dude, use your head. AM! Has nothing to do with the represses of RAR, No Idea handles all that. It's one of the best selling releases No Idea has, of course they're going to keep it in print. It's not like AM! is rollin' in the dough from all the represses. No Idea sells an LP for $7 each, they have to first cover expenses, then they need to keep money for themselves, then AM! gets their cut. How much do you think they're getting from one LP? A buck, maybe two? So when No Idea does a repress of 300 LPs there is no way anybody is making a killing off of that.

Also, if someone decides they must have every single record by a band they set themselves up for this. I'm not an AM! collector or a collector at all. I buy records I want because I listen to them and have very little duplicates anymore (my trade list is way out of date). I don't really see the point in collecting every variation from bands because you end up with a huge collection but you have dozens upon dozens of duplicates that just sit there.

this is the only way my distro sells out of a lot of releases.

something sells for a lot on ebay, and someone (or me) posts that i have them in my distro, and suddenly, the record that i couldnt sell for 2 years will sell 10 copies in 5 minutes, and then i see 6 or 7 up on ebay with matching usernames.

also, i dont see how you can that VC started a trend of getting certain releases distributed.

for instance, that waxwing LP was available on the second nature store for a LONG time for 5 bucks. i got them from them for my distro a year and a half ago.

i dont mean to be condescending but if you think that those records werent available anywhere else before VC got them, and promoted it, then you arent looking at many distros. most of the VC kids look at interpunk, and VC, and maybe Rev. or Hydrahead/Blue Collar, and thats it. if its not there, then it must be OOP, and so kids turn to ebay to pay high prices.

when in reality those records have been available in numerous smaller/indie places for a long time.

something sells for a lot on ebay, and someone (or me) posts that i have them in my distro, and suddenly, the record that i couldnt sell for 2 years will sell 10 copies in 5 minutes, and then i see 6 or 7 up on ebay with matching usernames.

also, i dont see how you can that VC started a trend of getting certain releases distributed.

for instance, that waxwing LP was available on the second nature store for a LONG time for 5 bucks. i got them from them for my distro a year and a half ago.

i dont mean to be condescending but if you think that those records werent available anywhere else before VC got them, and promoted it, then you arent looking at many distros. most of the VC kids look at interpunk, and VC, and maybe Rev. or Hydrahead/Blue Collar, and thats it. if its not there, then it must be OOP, and so kids turn to ebay to pay high prices.

when in reality those records have been available in numerous smaller/indie places for a long time.

to say that most kids on VC only look at those distros is a gross generalization.

point taken.

how about just most kids in general. its not specific to VC.

i see it all the time. its the same reason i can sell an american nightmare 7" for 30 bucks on ebay when its available in about 40 different places online.

or i can sell the modern life in war LP for 22 bucks on ebay, when it was available for literally years in my distro for 11.

etc.

ive bought out a lot of small independent distros that labels did, or just some kid did, and its full of "ebay gold", even though all their stuff was listed online. but hardly anyone looked and found it.

i know the original point of the thread wasnt about that, but it kinda goes hand in hand. its not just VC kids though, its kids everywhere.

i just kind of though the original statement of VC getting all these "out of print" or "hard to find" records first was odd.

to say that most kids on VC only look at those distros is a gross generalization.

yeah but by using the word "MOST" he avoided generalizing. i agree with him completely... the store i work at has the shittiest distros ever and somehow we can still get shit like the sword/witchcraft split and the new boris 7" and shit. its around but "MOST" kids only look at the places they know best... vc, rev, interpunk, angry young and poor, etc...

How about people selling the Strike Anywhere - Exit English Lp on ebay when both colors are still available direct from Jade Tree. i can understand when popular distros dont have it and you think its oop. But when people turn to ebay when its still available direct from the label, theyre just plain dumb and deserve to be ripped off.

yeah but by using the word "MOST" he avoided generalizing. i agree with him completely... the store i work at has the shittiest distros ever and somehow we can still get shit like the sword/witchcraft split and the new boris 7" and shit. its around but "MOST" kids only look at the places they know best... vc, rev, interpunk, angry young and poor, etc...

i guess, but now we're talking semantics. wouldn't most imply nearly everyone? thats still a generalization, isn't it?

point taken.

how about just most kids in general. its not specific to VC.

i see it all the time. its the same reason i can sell an american nightmare 7" for 30 bucks on ebay when its available in about 40 different places online.

or i can sell the modern life in war LP for 22 bucks on ebay, when it was available for literally years in my distro for 11.

etc.

ive bought out a lot of small independent distros that labels did, or just some kid did, and its full of "ebay gold", even though all their stuff was listed online. but hardly anyone looked and found it.

i know the original point of the thread wasnt about that, but it kinda goes hand in hand. its not just VC kids though, its kids everywhere.

i just kind of though the original statement of VC getting all these "out of print" or "hard to find" records first was odd.

word dude, i understand. i wasn't trying to start shit, just sayin. one of my buddies just bought a couple records from your distro. i think it was daitro and bravo fucking bravo. or maybe ghastly city sleep, i'm not sure.

The point on Waxwing was a ton of kids didn't know it was out there and turned up on ebay the next week. I know a ton of distros carry a ton of items that kids think are out of print (A TBR/Bill the Wielder split sold for a bunch on ebay when you could still buy them directly from the label that put it out), but I think it says something that VC posts it, it sells out and suddenly it's cycled around on ebay.

I'm not saying this shit can't be found or it shouldn't be flipped. I'm merely saying that it's an interesting testament to VC's popularity.

i guess, but now we're talking semantics. wouldn't most imply nearly everyone? thats still a generalization, isn't it?

what? no. most just simply implies MORE THAN the other quantities. it doesnt imply everyone, or NEARLY everyone.

look at the wants threads on this board, and on other boards. multiple times a day there are threads of people wanting records that a quick google search would show are available from at least one if not multiple smaller places. or posting an ebay link for an overpriced record asking "is this worth it?"

no need to be defensive. it wasnt a knock against VC, or you personally.

just a pretty well known fact that most people arent patient, and dont bother to look around before purchasing the vinyl.

either way, that wasnt the original intention of this thread, and it certainly wasnt my main point either.