WATCHMEN DVD = WTF?!?!

Here are my concerns with Blu-ray:

-Players are still around $300 for a budget one.

-Discs are by in large still more expensive than DVDs

-Because of this, Netflix (and I assume other places) are passing the up-cost on to consumers.

-The Blu-ray demos I've seen have a weird soap opera/Dr. Who/VHS camcorder type look about it. Almost too smooth and not film like. It bothers me.

-The packaging annoys me. I know they have to make it look different than a normal DVD, but I don't like what they came up with.

-At one point I owned around 400 DVDs. Not burns, store bought DVDs. I've cut that back by probably more than half. I don't feel like re-buying the DVDs I already have.

-Digital media will be replaced with non-physical forms sooner than later. You can't compare a superior medium like analog to a limited one such as CDs or MP3s. There will always be people who want the real thing. With a digital medium like CDs and DVDs, downloaded media (assuming all things equal) are the same thing. I don't foresee a big DVD/Blu-ray/whatever market in the next 10 years. The movie studios have been waiting for that axe to fall for years.

Well, we'll all be screwed when the only offer HD movie for download, and all the ISPs start capping bandwidth.

I agree that the different between blu-ray and DVD is not enough to justify the current price of players and discs. I'm sure soon enough they all cheapen up, just like DVDs did in a pretty short time period.

-The Blu-ray demos I've seen have a weird soap opera/Dr. Who/VHS camcorder type look about it. Almost too smooth and not film like. It bothers me.

Hate hate hate this. Every time I go into Best Buy or somewhere playing a Bluray on one of those TVs with the super fast refresh rate it looks like a step backwards to me. I watched like 2 minutes of Kung Fu Panda thinking it was a cutscene from the videogame, that's what it looked like.

There was a huuuuuge gap in technology between VHS and DVD. Between the DVD and BluRay it boils down to video quality and space. It's not that big of a deal. Even as a technology buff I refuse to jump on the BluRay bandwagon.

I'm actually in the process of selling all of my DVDs, because I feel streaming the media will be the future. Music will be the same way and there will still be groups who want to own the physical media, but the majority of people will own digitized collections over the coming years.

I own a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p capable television and, in my opinion, anyone who says that the difference between dvd and blu is minuscule has just not witnessed Blu-Ray on a proper setup (if at all). The difference is easily as drastic as that between DVD and VHS, if not greater for most films. Since I've started watching Blu-Ray, I've quit going to the theater as often and have waited for it to hit retail because my home setup looks and sounds better than a lot of the theaters in my area. But again, this is just my opinion. As for price complaints, if you're on the lookout and also shop around Amazon/eBay you can find really good deals. I picked up the 2-disc Criterion Collection edition of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button today at Best Buy for just $15. People that complain about Blu-Ray sound to me like my mother who griped and whined when DVDs came out but who now has quite an extensive DVD collection. Get over it. It's the future. It's pretty.

Also, the 2-disc Director's Cut DVD edition of Watchmen does exist and I saw it at my Best Buy today.

There was a huuuuuge gap in technology between VHS and DVD. Between the DVD and BluRay it boils down to video quality and space. It's not that big of a deal. Even as a technology buff I refuse to jump on the BluRay bandwagon.

I'm actually in the process of selling all of my DVDs, because I feel streaming the media will be the future. Music will be the same way and there will still be groups who want to own the physical media, but the majority of people will own digitized collections over the coming years.

I own a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p capable television and, in my opinion, anyone who says that the difference between dvd and blu is minuscule has just not witnessed Blu-Ray on a proper setup (if at all). The difference is easily as drastic as that between DVD and VHS, if not greater for most films. Since I've started watching Blu-Ray, I've quit going to the theater as often and have waited for it to hit retail because my home setup looks and sounds better than a lot of the theaters in my area. But again, this is just my opinion. As for price complaints, if you're on the lookout and also shop around Amazon/eBay you can find really good deals. I picked up the 2-disc Criterion Collection edition of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button today at Best Buy for just $15. People that complain about Blu-Ray sound to me like my mother who griped and whined when DVDs came out but who now has quite an extensive DVD collection. Get over it. It's the future. It's pretty.

Also, the 2-disc Director's Cut DVD edition of Watchmen does exist and I saw it at my Best Buy today.

You're judging this incorrectly. Of course BluRays look and sound amazing, but that's where the strong comparisons stop. You can make an argument for more space, but your average viewer doesn't need a more deleted scenes, commentaries, trailers, gag reels and fluff.

VHS to DVD there was a HUGE gap in technology. The look was drastically different and everyone could tell the difference regardless of their TV. You didn't have to rewind the tape. You could start at any chapter, skip and go back to any chapter. Plus you had some extra fluff on the disc if that's your thing.

DVD to BluRay is just better quality and more space. Maybe some neat tricks w/ the Internet, but outside of movie buffs, who cares?

Also, your post SCREAMS the biggest problem with BluRays.

The cost!

To fully experience the difference between DVD and BluRay you need a decent 1080p HDTV. So you're looking at a TV greater than 42" -- good lucking finding a good one under $800. A good surround sound is going to set you back at least $200, maybe more (I'm not very familiar w/ surround sound systems). If you want to kick it up a notch and go for 7.1 you're probably out $500! The players themselves are still around $300. The discs costs more than normal DVDs. They're cheaper, but still around $20. Yes, you can find deals, but the DVD deals will be cheaper too.

The future of movies will be like Netflix's streaming service. Pick movie, software (and bandwidth) detect the best version for your average consumer, movie plays. Boom, $20 a month. When you finally save up all that money for a sweet home theater system the movies are ready to take advantage of that at probably the same cost (in the future) if not maybe a few bucks more.

You're judging this incorrectly. Of course BluRays look and sound amazing, but that's where the strong comparisons stop. You can make an argument for more space, but your average viewer doesn't need a more deleted scenes, commentaries, trailers, gag reels and fluff.

VHS to DVD there was a HUGE gap in technology. The look was drastically different and everyone could tell the difference regardless of their TV. You didn't have to rewind the tape. You could start at any chapter, skip and go back to any chapter. Plus you had some extra fluff on the disc if that's your thing.

DVD to BluRay is just better quality and more space. Maybe some neat tricks w/ the Internet, but outside of movie buffs, who cares?

Also, your post SCREAMS the biggest problem with BluRays.

The cost!

To fully experience the difference between DVD and BluRay you need a decent 1080p HDTV. So you're looking at a TV greater than 42" -- good lucking finding a good one under $800. A good surround sound is going to set you back at least $200, maybe more (I'm not very familiar w/ surround sound systems). If you want to kick it up a notch and go for 7.1 you're probably out $500! The players themselves are still around $300. The discs costs more than normal DVDs. They're cheaper, but still around $20. Yes, you can find deals, but the DVD deals will be cheaper too.

The future of movies will be like Netflix's streaming service. Pick movie, software (and bandwidth) detect the best version for your average consumer, movie plays. Boom, $20 a month. When you finally save up all that money for a sweet home theater system the movies are ready to take advantage of that at probably the same cost (in the future) if not maybe a few bucks more.

I can agree with this. I still buy a lot of films in standard DVD format, when the quality is not as crucial to the viewing experience. And yes, Blu is still a little too expensive for the mass populous I suppose.

Again, it's not the future, it's the last gasp. And the fact that some Best Buys have the two disc DVD has already been established.

Again, it's not the future, it's the last gasp. And the fact that some Best Buys have the two disc DVD has already been established.
No need to be a jerk. That's YOUR OPINION. You'll note that throughout my post I stated that it was my opinion. And as for the 2-disc DVD at Best Buy I was just adding to the banter that I had seen it at my Best Buy. I read the thread. I know that others have seen it too.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':8a571n7d]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':8a571n7d]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');