AppleCare

What a pain in the ass that is.

I sent my MacBook off to be repaired almost 4 weeks ago, the disc drive wasn't reading or writing anything, so I sent it off to get sorted out while I was on holiday. I had a voicemail when I got home a week later from Stormfront, the people repairing it, so I called them up. Turned out Apple couldn't link my AppleCare policy to my MacBook serial number. Over the past 3 weeks I have had to send them PDF receipts which clearly stated the serial numbers of both my MacBook and the AppleCare policy, that wasn't enough 'evidence' to convice Apple that I owned them both apparently. So I sent them the confirmation email/certificate that Apple themselves emailed me when I called to activate the warranty. That wasn't enough. In the end I had to take photos of both my MacBook box and the AppleCare box side by side, with the serial numbers clearly visable, for Apple to finally concede that I was the rightful owner of said warranty. So I called Apple up this Friday to see what the deal was, they had only just sent the request to update my records about 10 minutes before I phoned, and this must have been because the guy who I've been dealing with at Stormfront followed up my inquiry twice in the space of 2 days for me. Then I get told that they're updating their systems and so a simple procedure that should take 24 hours will now take anything up to 72. I should hopefully have my MacBook by the week's end, and I hope so, because my Dad's Windows laptop is really starting to test my patience. I can't deal with Windows.

/rant

So, in closing, AppleCare, sucks. I paid that extra money so that should anything go wrong, it would be sorted with the minimum of fuss and effort. How wrong could I have been? :(

Anyone else had any issues with AppleCare or warranty deals in general?

AppleCare is the shit if you have an Apple Store near you. Every time my iPod breaks (which is often for some reason) I just go in, get a new one, and go home. Very little trouble.

Agreed. My Macbook died on me, and I took it in to the Apple Store at 2:00 PM and had it repaired and back home by 5:00.

Apple Care has always been good to me. However, one particular case was interesting: I have an old iBook that ran out of Apple Care, but needed a new drive. So, I took it to a licensed Apple repair store near me. They charged me $240 and took 4 weeks to fix it. The minute I turn it on, it's still not working. So, I call and ask them to repair it again, and they told me no, unless I paid more money. Fuck Compu Clean from Erie, PA.