Calfornia, GET INTO DE CHOPPA!(Of Savings!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/28/great-california-garage-s_n_271035.html

I love that a huge garage sale is the brainstorm idea that won the roundtable. It is actually quite ingenious, if you want to revitalize the economy, reach out to the population that won't spend money on anything except usless junk.

Oh, and this is my favorite part of the whole story:

" 600 state-owned vehicles and thousands of pieces of office furniture, computers, electronics, jewelry, pianos, even a surf board, a food saver and an Xbox 360 gaming system."

that's right folks, get our ONE Xbox while it's still available!

Yep. All drugs. They need to treat addicts, not imprison them. And legalizing drugs will eliminate a whole lot of violent/organized crime in addition to freeing up huge amounts of prison space and other federal resources. Prohibition does not work. It never has. It sucks that there's a stigma associated with everything but pot, even though all drugs are essentially the same in a socio-economic sense.

I'm in the same boat Casey - never has such a failed policy (War on Drugs) been kept around for so long for the reason that politicians are too scared to directly confront the problem. And like Sammy pointed out - this is about more than the immediate socio-economic impact, it will cut down on healthcare costs as well when folks can have access to new/clean works and halt the spread of blood-borne pathogens. Look at the Netherlands - de-criminalization fucking works. It just does. Not to mention that I find it horribly stupid to lock someone up for half their life for doing something that wasn't hurting anyone, while white-collar crime destroys millions of lives…