Forget the Itunes LP, Remember the Vinyl LP

Guest admin1338560633

I prefer mp3 to CD. I don't like owning things, so mp3 albums just exist in my ipod, it's mess free. For my absolute favorite albums, I will pick them up on vinyl as well, but the vast majority of my music is on mp3.

That said, I don't like this idea of "itunes LP" at least it shouldn't be called "lp"

My issue with mp3 (and the new Itunes LP digital format .cmx (my company sent out an email about it a couple weeks ago)) is that the price point never changed. The biggest issue with CDs for the last 15 years is the cost to the consumer. Along comes an easily accessible, readily available product that requires NO distribution or packaging costs what-so-ever and yet we're still paying $10 for a 10-13 track album. The artist no longer has to worry about nearly 50% of a physical CD's production overhead yet we're still paying for it. It's ridiculous.

what is pretty dumb and is like throwing a hail mary into the parking lot are the download cards they sell by cds at target. I think they kinda missed the point on the convenience of downloading and not having to go to the store to do so.

Who would pay money to buy a card when the cd, at the same price, is a few feet away?

what is pretty dumb and is like throwing a hail mary into the parking lot are the download cards they sell by cds at target. I think they kinda missed the point on the convenience of downloading and not having to go to the store to do so.

Who would pay money to buy a card when the cd, at the same price, is a few feet away?

Well, for one thing, there is a much greater selection on itunes than on target. I doubt that any of the music I have purchased off of itunes over the past year is sold at target or any retail-like chain.

Another reason is that downloading is cheaper. Last time I checked in the US, new CDs were about $12-$17. In Japan, a new CD goes for $30 (as do LPs and cassettes, I don't know why). So for the budgetly constraint, downloading gives you the most for your buck.

Because unfortunately there is a large percent of the population that give no fucks about things like artwork, liner notes, thank yous, or the ritual that goes into listening to and owning an album. It's not a thought to some people, it's not important.

What's even sadder is that in my experience, the majority of people I know take no interest or effort in actively searching for new music. They don't read blogs, they don't listen to recommendations. They just wait for the next wave of popular jams to come through. My own best friend subscribes to the idea that he's "just not that into music". It's a passive thing for him. I could never relate or even begin to understand the way he thinks like that.

I sometimes get baffled by that stuff, then I realize that a lot of people, if not the vast majority of people, simply don't care because music isn't as big a part of their lives as it clearly is to us, who get offended that not everyone is like us.

I said this in one of these threads, but iTunes LP will never affect me because I don't care about it. I don't buy CDs anymore, either, and if LPs have survived through tapes and CDs, they'll survive mp3s. If the iTunes LP flops, I'm not affected. Hell, if the iTunes store as a whole collapses, I'm not really affected.

Basically, I don't know who Apple really thinks they are targeting with this product line. As for buying mp3s at all, let people do what they please. Most people won't buy whole albums anyway, so if they are buying a song here and there, it's better than simply downloading them all, right?

Guest markovianprocess
Basically, I don't know who Apple really thinks they are targeting with this product line. As for buying mp3s at all, let people do what they please. Most people won't buy whole albums anyway, so if they are buying a song here and there, it's better than simply downloading them all, right?

I think you've picked up on an interesting point. Who are they trying to sell it to? Most people who want the whole album with everything to go with it will go to a record store or to Amazon/independent online store. It seems like Apple is trying to create a market rather than cater for one.

Haha I didn't even actually think too much about that point. It's true though - people who care about this shit already either buy CDs or LPs anyway. Who are they expecting to pay the same amount, if not more money, for something intangible that they can already get a tangible release for?

I don't have demographics in front of me, so I could be wrong, but it seems like most mp3-buying customers are casual listeners who don't really give a shit about that stuff. I just can't see there being an diehard "iTunes LP" collecting niche out there.

Why, if they are having trouble getting people to buy full albums instead of just singles, do they think anyone is going to pay even more for a bunch of extra content? Makes zero sense.

Don't you like to collect zeroes and ones? Those shits are mad tight. I have a huge stash and would gladly pay for some more.