Vistitors to VC: Rob from Get Up Kids, John, and C

Guest admin1338560633

[image]

Rob Pope from the Get Up Kids (9-15-09) - Imagine my surprise when by buddy Aaron Merzman (photographed next to Rob) called me to see if it was cool if Rob Pope from the Get Up Kids could come by and pick up some records. I have been a really big Get Up Kids' fan since I first heard a song on a Drive Thru Records comp and their music really provided a gateway for me to get into a lot of other bands like Braid, No Knife, Promise Ring, and more. Rob was such a nice guy which made me feel terrible that I declined an offer for free tickets. I had to explain that I had been out the 4 nights previous and I was an old man but that I did love his band. I am bummed I missed the show as everyone told me it was fantastic, but as Rob says, they will be back. Rob is also in Spoon, another band I love. He has great taste in music as you might be able to tell of the stack of records he had in his hand. I sent him off with a shotgunator (which I hope he uses) and the drunk dial hotline. Call us on the road buddy.

[image]

Joe (get up kids merch guy) (9-15-09) - Shortly after Rob and Aaron left, Aaron called me saying that Joe, the merch guy for the Get Up Kids, wanted to come down and pick up a few things. Oddly, Joe and I have mutual friends in Jon Snodgrass and Cory Branan and some of Joe's photos appear on the Snodgrass/Branan split LP. We bullshitted about Snodgrass, Get Up Kids, Cory and everything under the sun. Good dude. I told him that since he is going on this tour with Get Up Kids, he had to get them to call our Drunk Dial Hotline. I am counting on you Joe.

[image]

Charles Haug (aka The Chuck Diezel on our message board) and his very nice girlfriend Tori (9-15-09)- , came into town for our 14th Anniversary weekend. He missed one of his favorite bands and actually all of Friday night because of flight delays, but he made up for it by making the most of the rest of the weekend. Chuck represents what I love about independent music. He is a nice guy who is passionate about music so much that he recently started his own label, Gruff Beard Records, and I have no doubt that his label will embody the d.i.y. ethics that are so important about independent music. We had a lot of good hang time, had a lot of great conversations, and shared stories about the bands we love. Chuck and Tori had a great weekend with us and on Tuesday, they stopped by to pick up some records. I suggested a few things that were outside of his radar like Red Fang, Pinback, Riot Before,The Life and Times, and Justin Townes Earle (all of you should check out these favorites of ours). It was great to see Chuck again and meet Tori. Til next time friends.

See other visitors to Vinyl Collective here. Next time you are in Denver, come visit us.

Chuck's a solid dude and well deserving of the recognition. Nice pick up on that Justin Townes Earle lp. His new one I think is even better.

Thanks buddy I appreciate it.......Yea I had the records shipped so I would not have to carry them on the plane but I am so stoked to listen to that one.......whats his new one called?

Chuck, sounds like you had a good time. wish i could have been there for the festivities. great choice of albums you picked out. Glad Virgil suggested that RED FANG album.

You should def make an effort to come out next year it is such a good fucking time..........I can not wait to listen to Red Fang I am stoked on it more kids need to pick it up Virgil still has a bunch and its numbered out of 121!