Invest in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home's Future

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, all of this does sound crazy. not crazy like awesome but crazy like this is a really desperate attempt. bad business ventures trying to cover the failings of bad business ventures. you realize he's making a cash grab in order to desperately attempt to get himself up to a level where hes able to put the wheels in motion to keep making the same mistakes and sinking farther into debt.

you guys know pirate press froze his account because he's into them large? you guys know that he owes labels tons for things sold through here on consignment that they havent seen much if any of? do you guys know he puts up preorders for others labels records before they even go into production, without even expressly gaining permission to do so?

and you kids fucking eat his shit up. wise up. this is not a fucking community. punk rock is an independent community--a bristling, vibrant subculture that unites those desperate souls maligned by society as whole. this place isnt punk. this place is just a fucking store.

anyone who drops of grand on the prospect of getting vinyl in the future from a man who is currently unable to press anything probably deserved to be fleeced of that money.

virgil, you remember that 7" your lackies sent me the wrong one of, told me to send back at my expense and then stop answering my emails about? you can keep that fucking $9. its a drop in the bucket of your six figure debt, but with any luck it will keep you in the business of screwing everyone over awhile longer.

[image]

i expect this post to be deleted very shortly. soak it up while you can kids

Quoting to avoid deletion.

I wouldn't have been so harsh, but I agree that this smacks of desperation on several levels.

And, as with anything around here, anyone who speaks ill of VC will become the target of scorn, but this seems ultra shady to me.

I completely agree with you, Andrew. Reading that first post didn't make me think "these are awesome ideas for the community!" at all. I totally understand that this is a business but I think VC in general all too often tries to put a disguise on that fact, and a lot of people do eat it up, perhaps unwittingly.

it is true that we have been having some financial problems this year and we are working to get through them all. These investments in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home will help us to get through these, start new projects, and all of that will give back to independent music overall.

Yes it is true that I am on hold with Pirates Press, but I am working on payments with them. It is true that I have made some mistakes over the past year, but this is not a desperate money grab. I believe in independent music so much. Ask the over 100 consignment labels we deal with. we are one month behind on payments, but only one month. last week we sent out payments for the previous month and today, we sent out statements for last month.

magic bullet, I do need to send you a statement and I am very sorry I haven't. I will do so this week.

vinyljunkie, I do recognize that there are a lot of d.i.y. distros out there, but I go to a ton of shows where no one has records for sale. I don't think every city has a distro and I think that is great that you still keep one going. I think that we can help give tools to others to get their own started and in doing so help not only our label but all the labels we buy from have an additional source to sell their records.

In 2008, we had our best year ever. 2009, the economy has made things much more difficult for us and we are getting through it. I understand if you dont' want to or have no interest in supporting what we do, but I feel like we have helped a lot of people to decide to start putting out records and have helped others realize that they have friends through music who care about the records they put out. I know that at times I take on more than I can chew, but I truly believe in independent music, indie artists, and small labels.

half the time i don't like servo and what he says, but he's absolutely right with this. another pay up front and get nothing in return deal. at least the co-op was only $60, that vc for life thing is $1,000. i would like to meet the fools who have an extra grand sitting around to blow on something like this. why not take that money and invest it somewhere for your future, it's a much safer and smarter bet. records aren't an ideal retirement plan.

i guess these financial problems mean the co-op is on the back burner for sure now, as if there wasn't a good indication of that already. what's going to happen when those 200 people demand their money back.

man, all of this does sound crazy. not crazy like awesome but crazy like this is a really desperate attempt. bad business ventures trying to cover the failings of bad business ventures. you realize he's making a cash grab in order to desperately attempt to get himself up to a level where hes able to put the wheels in motion to keep making the same mistakes and sinking farther into debt.

you guys know pirate press froze his account because he's into them large? you guys know that he owes labels tons for things sold through here on consignment that they havent seen much if any of? do you guys know he puts up preorders for others labels records before they even go into production, without even expressly gaining permission to do so?

and you kids fucking eat his shit up. wise up. this is not a fucking community. punk rock is an independent community--a bristling, vibrant subculture that unites those desperate souls maligned by society as whole. this place isnt punk. this place is just a fucking store.

anyone who drops of grand on the prospect of getting vinyl in the future from a man who is currently unable to press anything probably deserved to be fleeced of that money.

virgil, you remember that 7" your lackies sent me the wrong one of, told me to send back at my expense and then stop answering my emails about? you can keep that fucking $9. its a drop in the bucket of your six figure debt, but with any luck it will keep you in the business of screwing everyone over awhile longer.

[image]

i expect this post to be deleted very shortly. soak it up while you can kids

i would never delete a negative post on me. I am sorry your bad experience with our mailorder (yes we make mistakes) causes you to hate what we do. Feel free to send me an email and I will remedy our past mistake.

Yes, we have had financial problems and we are doing the best we can to get through everything. I understand if you choose not to support the things we do. It is not easy running a small, independent business. I have made my share of mistakes but will get through all of this and will make all things right.

I personally would like to see existing relationship problems addressed before compounding things even further,

This.

seems like if you are in debt and not doing things correctly, you should just slow down and take care of it. Its not like people dont flock to the vinyl collective store, so people are still buying stuff. Maybe it means not putting out 10-12 releases a year? or taking on new ambitious projects, but just easing up. taking care of old/past items. then once you are back on track, THEN take on some ambitious ideas.

because if this fails (which im not trying to be the harbinger of doom, but realistically IF), then not only can you not take care of old issues, but now you have a whole new set of issues on your plate that mount up more and more.

I love ya Virgil, but this is the most sensible thing I've heard all day. An with 8 releases spread out over 2 months on my own label, I should probably heed this advice as well!

- Ken

i think your definition of "independent" music is warped. you get so caught up in the fact that you promote something "underground" that you completely fuck it over to begin with. especially in your lame attempts to grab other like-minded idiots who follow you guy's money. if you believe in small labels you would support them better. ie: magic bullet. RESPECT BRENT TOUR 2007

I personally would like to see existing relationship problems addressed before compounding things even further,

This.

seems like if you are in debt and not doing things correctly, you should just slow down and take care of it. Its not like people dont flock to the vinyl collective store, so people are still buying stuff. Maybe it means not putting out 10-12 releases a year? or taking on new ambitious projects, but just easing up. taking care of old/past items. then once you are back on track, THEN take on some ambitious ideas.

because if this fails (which im not trying to be the harbinger of doom, but realistically IF), then not only can you not take care of old issues, but now you have a whole new set of issues on your plate that mount up more and more.

also, distros that dont pay their consignment bills really makes me upset, because it makes it that much harder for other distros who DO take care of their bills to forge working relationships with labels.

about consignment bills, you don't have the full story. We got behind by one month and are remedying this as we speak.

Let's all relax. It's not like Virgil is the fucking Sam Walton of vinyl here. What I've always appreciated about VC is that it's run by people who are passionate about what they do. Having a job you hate isn't any more "punk rock" than trying to make a business out of doing something you love. I can't vouch for anyone at VC's business acumen or accumulated debts, but I support VC because I believe in the idea. Flame away, disgruntled masses!

half the time i don't like servo and what he says, but he's absolutely right with this. another pay up front and get nothing in return deal. at least the co-op was only $60, that vc for life thing is $1,000. i would like to meet the fools who have an extra grand sitting around to blow on something like this. why not take that money and invest it somewhere for your future, it's a much safer and smarter bet. records aren't an ideal retirement plan.

i guess these financial problems mean the co-op is on the back burner for sure now, as if there wasn't a good indication of that already. what's going to happen when those 200 people demand their money back.

the coop is not on the backburner. the wilhelm scream records shipped to everyone and was a success. I am almost done with the 2nd round vote list and will be starting to work on licenses now.

virgil, i'm serious. keep the $9. its ok.

and i just want to say that i dont dislike you personally or anything, just your business model. and some of the sillier shit you do (though good for yucks.) i really hope you can turn things around and make it work. i know you have a family to support and i really do not wish to see your business go straight into the ground. you seem like a good-hearted guy and i'm sure you and i could easily sit at a bar, knock back some delicious beer and talk about our favorite records and have a great fucking time.

virgil, i'm serious. keep the $9. its ok.

and i just want to say that i dont dislike you personally or anything, just your business model. and some of the sillier shit you do (though good for yucks.) i really hope you can turn things around and make it work. i know you have a family to support and i really do not wish to see your business go straight into the ground. you seem like a good-hearted guy and i'm sure you and i could easily sit at a bar, knock back some delicious CRAFT beer and talk about our favorite records and have a great fucking time.

there, I fixed it for you

vinyljunkie, I do recognize that there are a lot of d.i.y. distros out there, but I go to a ton of shows where no one has records for sale. I don't think every city has a distro and I think that is great that you still keep one going. I think that we can help give tools to others to get their own started and in doing so help not only our label but all the labels we buy from have an additional source to sell their records.

is it possible you are going to the wrong shows/venues?

ive found that all throughout the country there are kids bringing distros to house shows and diy spaces, etc. large cities, and even smaller towns. Its when its a semi-sponsored tour in some bar that distros arent allowed to set up. not always is it a case of lack of distros, but rather a lack of diy playing spaces to encourage that sort of thing like record/book distros.

the independent/diy scene is all over the place.

i wouldnt be able to complain about not getting the latest DIY record if the only record store i visit is hot topic and best buy.

Not to overstep because I don't have a grand to spend but if I did I would want to take a look at the "books" for myself.

For this to really be an investment contracts should be drawn up, books should be looked at, all that stuff.

I do love this store and site as this is the place that got me into vinyl and made things so easy to do...

Prices have always been good, 3 dollar and now 4 dollar shipping is awesome, all of my orders have gone without a glitch, and any issue I've had was solved right away.

Hoping to get 100 grand seems quite aggressive and the lottery ticket prices are just really low, is that really cost effective?maybe it will drum up new business, maybe not.

While never meeting anyone that works here I honestly believe they are good people, it's just that...

Is there really 100 grand to dig up from people who shop here? Especially on a upfront cost with nothing all that tangible for a while

Your blaming the economy line is total bullshit. It ain't the economy that is wrecking your business, it's the fact that you don't know how to run your business that is wrecking it. I don't think this business venture is going to be a very good one. You can keep blaming the economy and, in a few months you'll be out of business and 10 people are going to be very, very pissed off.

Your blaming the economy line is total bullshit. It ain't the economy that is wrecking your business, it's the fact that you don't know how to run your business that is wrecking it. I don't think this business venture is going to be a very good one. You can keep blaming the economy and, in a few months you'll be out of business and 10 people are going to be very, very pissed off.

This being your first post makes me think that you don't see all the threads where people say that they don't have money for records. I am trying not to blame the economy, but I can tell you that selling records in 2009 has not been the same as selling records in 2008. I would agree with you that I am not the greatest business mind or person, but most independent labels are started by people who believe in music not business masterminds. With any investment, it isn't a guarantee that they will get a million records. The way I look at it, if those 10 people get 100 records, they would make their money back, but if they get 500 records, they are gonna be stoked. It is my goal to stoke those people out.

virgil, here is my idea to get you out of debt. fly me out and let me work for you for a month. you dont have to pay me much. i'll take a look at everything top to bottom and work some razzle dazzle. i can sleep on the warehouse floor. i am seriously qualified to do this. i can think outside the box like a mother fucker, am great with numbers, have a college degree in fucking LOGIC and have worked in every aspect of independent music from retail, radio, promotions, record labels, tour manager... everything. if you dont think im serious about this i have already come up with an idea that could make you a couple grand if executed right with very minimal cost and would be happy to share it with you

This being your first post makes me think that you don't see all the threads where people say that they don't have money for records. I am trying not to blame the economy, but I can tell you that selling records in 2009 has not been the same as selling records in 2008. I would agree with you that I am not the greatest business mind or person, but most independent labels are started by people who believe in music not business masterminds. With any investment, it isn't a guarantee that they will get a million records. The way I look at it, if those 10 people get 100 records, they would make their money back, but if they get 500 records, they are gonna be stoked. It is my goal to stoke those people out.

but at this point, how long would it take for those investors to get 100 records in return. the VC label coop was what...$60 per person and they've gotten 2 records in the past year or so? if anything...do right by the people that have already invested in you.