Horror Movie Thread

i need to watch Dario Argento's Inferno.

i watched Mother of tears a few months ago, that was better then most of the stuff hes been kicking out lately.

check out his version of Phantom Of The Opera. chandelier gore and a lot of sex. miss asia argento is in this too. Let's not forget DEMONS and DEMONS 2-love the concept and lets face it, argento is the master of gore. in the words of eli roth, "argento puts the gore in gorgeous!"

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gonna have to check out these Japanese flicks. Looks like I will have to get netflix.

My favorite horror flick will always be Phantasm. The Changeling with George C. Scott still creeps me out. Any John Carpenter flick from the 80's was awesome. Halloween III is still awesome. As far as new stuff, High Tension was fucking weird and I enjoyed The Ring.

I love audition but I was so suprised at how long it takes to get creepy... I was like "wait are we watching the right movie" then at the end POW it gets you... love that movie

I am a super huge asian horror fan

pretty much all the movies that were remade I love the asain versions ringu, the eye (my favorite ever), dark water, pulse, shutter, ju-on etc

for movies that were not remade

ichi the killer

old boy

three extremes (sooooo creepy)

a tale of 2 sisters

suicide club

infection

Marebito

Whispering Corridors

face

Imprint

Witch Board Bunshinsaba

the maid

and the list could go on

I like a lot of the same movies you do Kelly.

Have you seen The Happiness of the Katakuris? It is not a really horror movie but it is a horror-musical with zombies so it is all good. It is based on a Korean film the Quiet Family. They are both good

Happiness of The Katakuris is awesome! I love his films. Except I thought Imprint was god awful. There was a lot of hype behind it because it was banned from the masters of horror show and when I watched it it was such a let down. Although it was really fun to make fun of with my girlfriend.

these are some movies i would recommend if you have not seen them or have heard of them. i chose some of the lesser known movies.

ZOMBIE MOVIES

-CITY OF THE LIVING

-NIGHTMARE CITY

-LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE

-THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY

SLASHER MOVIES

-BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)

-MANIAC

-SLEEPAWAY CAMP

-THE BURNING

-THE PROWLER

-BLOOD AND BLACK LACE

-SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE TRILOGY

SUPERNATURAL/GHOST

-SUSPIRIA

-PHENOMENON

-THE BEYOND

-THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE

-THE ORPHANAGE

VIRUS MOVIES (I'M BORED AT WORK SO I THOUGHT I WOULD DO THESE TO)

-REC (THE ORIGINAL, SPANISH VERSION) NOT THE AMERICANIZED "QUARANTINE"

-RABID

-CABIN FEVER

-SHIVERS

WEREWOLF MOVIES

-AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

-DOG SOLDIERS (TOTALLY UNDERRATED)

-THE HOWLING

-GINGER SNAPS

-THE WOLF MAN

ASIAN HORROR MOVIES

-BATTLE ROYALE

-THE EYE

-TOKYO GORE POLICE (FUCKING AMAZING AND FUNNY)

-AUDITION

VAMPIRE MOVIES (I DON'T CARE FOR THEM, BUT I HAVE SEEN A COUPLE I LIKED)

-LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

-SALEM'S LOT

-FRIGHT NIGHT (UNDERRATED AND AWESOME! KINDA FUNNY TOO)

COMEDIC HORROR MOVIES

-POULTRIGEIST-NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD (HILARIOUS, ONE OF MY FAVORITES ALREADY)

-STREET TRASH (NEED I SAY MORE)

-DEAD ALIVE (GORE AND HILARITY)

-STUDENT BODIES

-RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

-SLITHER

-NIGHT OF THE CREEPS

SHOCK/GORE/"SNUFF" MOVIES (IF YOU ARE FAINT OF HEART YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO CHECK ALL OF THESE OUT)

-SALO OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM (ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES)-VERY VIOLENT, SHOCKING AND DISGUSTING. VIVID PORTRAYALS OF RAPE, TORTURE AND MURDER.

-GUINEA PIG 2, THE FLOWER OF FLESH AND BLOOD-VERY SHOCKING SCENES OF DISMEMBERMENT AND TORTURE. THIS WAS ORIGINALLY THOUGHT TO BE A SNUFF MOVIE DUE TO IT'S LOW QUALITY OF PRODUCTION AND MINIMAL PAN-AWAY SCENES.

-CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST-IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF/SEEN THIS YOU NEED TO, AT LEAST ONCE. VERY VIOLENT AND EXTREME SCENES OF CANNIBALISM AND RAPE. SOME SCENES ARE STOCK FOOTAGE, BUT THIS MOVIE DID HAVE A REAL LIFE TRIBE OF CANNIBALS. HAILED AS THE GREATEST HORROR MOVIE MADE, WELL, THAT IS BULLSHIT, BUT IT IS POSSIBLY ONE OF, IF NOT THE MOST SHOCKING MOVIE MADE. THIS WAS ALSO THOUGHT TO BE A SNUFF FILM WHICH MADE IT BANNED IN SEVERAL COUNTRIES. IT MAY STILL BE BANNED IN SOME, BUT I DON'T KNOW.

-FACES OF DEATH COMPLETE BOX SET-SOME OF THE MOST DISTURBING, VIOLENT AND HEARTBREAKING IMAGES EVER FILMED. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THERE ARE EXTREME SCENES OF VIOLENCE AND CRUELTY TO ANIMALS, I DON'T BELIEVE IN VIOLENCE TOWARD ANIMALS, BUT NOTHING OFFENDS ME AND THIS DOESN'T BOTHER ME. SOME SCENES ARE REAL AND SOME ARE WRITTEN. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL WHICH IS WHICH.

MONSTERS/SCI-FI

-THE FEAST TRILOGY (COULD ALSO BE IN THE COMEDIC HORROR GENRE)

-THE THING (CARPENTER'S. STILL DOESN'T GET THE CREDIT IT DESERVES)

-THE HOST

-ALIEN (MORE GOTHIC HORROR THAN SCI-FI)

-EVENT HORIZON

i'm done for now, but i am sure i will think of some more throughout the day

That list is really solid although I would include the forgotten 1986 classic Vamp and My Best Friend Is a Vampire under vampire movies.

I just watched the Slumber Party Massacre movies for the first time in years...ugh never again.

my best friend is a vampire was great. i watched it when i was a little kid and loved it. saw it on hbo last week and it was still great.

i liked the SPM movies because are woman wrote and directed them, the driller killer from part 2 was so lame and cheesy and i loved it. i also had/have a mega crush on juliette cummins. the sexed up red head in part 2. these movies are so bad, but i love them.

i am going to add Full Moon High and TERRORVISION to the comedic horror list. not exactly horror, but cheesy, quirky and entertaining. Full Moon High doesn't get old to me. i have probably seen this 30 times since i was a little kid, love it. TERRORVISION was just bizarre and very 1980s. diane franklin was in this and i love that lady. i think it was post Last American Virgin and pre Better Off Dead. she's so adorable. just a bizarrely funny alien movie.

I am so much more OK seeing depictions of violence against people than violence against animals. I can't stand animal cruelty or depictions of it. Ever.

Anyway...

Here are some good horror films I've been watching/revisiting:

Ils

Inside

The Strangers - this one got way mixed reviews, but I loved it. This and Ils did a great job of shattering the illusion of safety and security people associate with their houses.

High Tension - first 3/4s was brilliant, last part was terrible. The stress of the early parts inside the farmhouse was insane.

Manchu Squadron 731: The Men Behind the Sun - probably the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. Watched it once, do not wish to see it again.

Funny Games (the American remake, although the original is the same thing) - not a typical horror movie, but it's unnerving as fuck (mainly on a conceptual level).

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original, obvs) - I actually saw this for the first time recently. Holy shit. Awesome.

I have Martyrs on my netflix queue, looking forward to that.

Has anyone seen The House of the Devil? It looks promising.

ZOMBIE MOVIES

-CITY OF THE LIVING

-NIGHTMARE CITY

While Romero is good and I love most of his movies, Lucio Fulci is THE FUCKING KING of zombie (or should I say Zombi?) movies!!!! The man was brilliant and his movies MUST be watched by any self-respecting fan of the genre.

SUPERNATURAL/GHOST

-SUSPIRIA

-PHENOMENON

-THE BEYOND

-THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE

-THE ORPHANAGE

Am not a fan of j-horror or giallo. These movies rely too much on atmosphere for me and I end up losing interest. They could still be good movies, but ADD usually doesn't let me finish them.

WEREWOLF MOVIES

-AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

-DOG SOLDIERS (TOTALLY UNDERRATED)

-THE HOWLING

-GINGER SNAPS

-THE WOLF MAN

For those that don't think there are good horror directors today, check out Neil Marshall's "Dog Soldiers" and "The Descent". Fucking loved "The Descent"!!!!

COMEDIC HORROR MOVIES

-POULTRIGEIST-NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD (HILARIOUS, ONE OF MY FAVORITES ALREADY)

-STREET TRASH (NEED I SAY MORE)

-DEAD ALIVE (GORE AND HILARITY)

-STUDENT BODIES

-RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

-SLITHER

-NIGHT OF THE CREEPS

"Slither" was another recent movie I loved. And, of course, it was an homage to "Night Of The Creeps". Dekker only did 2 movies and they are both childhood favorites and classics of the genre. I would also add "Motel Hell" and "Toxic Avenger" to this list. Great amounts fun surely to be had.

-

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST-IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF/SEEN THIS YOU NEED TO, AT LEAST ONCE. VERY VIOLENT AND EXTREME SCENES OF CANNIBALISM AND RAPE. SOME SCENES ARE STOCK FOOTAGE, BUT THIS MOVIE DID HAVE A REAL LIFE TRIBE OF CANNIBALS. HAILED AS THE GREATEST HORROR MOVIE MADE, WELL, THAT IS BULLSHIT, BUT IT IS POSSIBLY ONE OF, IF NOT THE MOST SHOCKING MOVIE MADE. THIS WAS ALSO THOUGHT TO BE A SNUFF FILM WHICH MADE IT BANNED IN SEVERAL COUNTRIES. IT MAY STILL BE BANNED IN SOME, BUT I DON'T KNOW.

The local authorities thought the scene of the girl impaled was real, but it turned out to be staged. They did get in a lot of trouble for animal abuse. They really slaughtered every animal you saw die.

MONSTERS/SCI-FI

-THE HOST

-EVENT HORIZON

The Thing is great! My second favorite Carpenter flick behind "In The Mouth Of Madness". And Bill Paxton saying "Game Over Man! Game Over!" in Aliens is one of my all time favorite horror movie qoutes. "Pumpkinhead" and "The Descent" should be on here as well.

And I absolutely LOVED the new "Trick 'r Treat"!!!! Not scary at all, but it pays massive amounts of respect to my favorite holiday. Highly recommended!

how much violence against dogs is there in faces of death 1? thats really the one animal that bugs me a lot when i see real/fake violence done too.

they eat monkey brains don't they?

i'm with you pal. there is a scene w/two guard dogs tearing a guy to pieces after he broke into a junkyard. the worst of all is when they show a Japanese family preparing dinner and the meat they were going to eat was from a husky puppy. they showed the disembowelment and the shrieks coming from that little guy made me want to go to their home and do it to them. it is just completely sad. they did eat monkey brains, it had them beating the head with a ball-pin hammer, but this scene was a fake.

it might sound shitty of me to say this, but i have more compassion for animal life than human life

I am so much more OK seeing depictions of violence against people than violence against animals. I can't stand animal cruelty or depictions of it. Ever.

Anyway...

Here are some good horror films I've been watching/revisiting:

Ils

Inside

The Strangers - this one got way mixed reviews, but I loved it. This and Ils did a great job of shattering the illusion of safety and security people associate with their houses.

High Tension - first 3/4s was brilliant, last part was terrible. The stress of the early parts inside the farmhouse was insane.

Manchu Squadron 731: The Men Behind the Sun - probably the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. Watched it once, do not wish to see it again.

Funny Games (the American remake, although the original is the same thing) - not a typical horror movie, but it's unnerving as fuck (mainly on a conceptual level).

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original, obvs) - I actually saw this for the first time recently. Holy shit. Awesome.

I have Martyrs on my netflix queue, looking forward to that.

Has anyone seen The House of the Devil? It looks promising.

the strangers was a great movie.

high tension would have been one of the best horror movies of the last 10 years if it wasn't for the ending. it's like having sex and right before you're ready to shoot she says, lets stop. total disappointment

funny games was really good. i just didn't like the rewind part.

ZOMBIE MOVIES

-CITY OF THE LIVING

-NIGHTMARE CITY

While Romero is good and I love most of his movies, Lucio Fulci is THE FUCKING KING of zombie (or should I say Zombi?) movies!!!! The man was brilliant and his movies MUST be watched by any self-respecting fan of the genre.

agreed. fulci is not selfish when it comes to blood and gore. romero's movies just have a little more depth story wise.

Am not a fan of j-horror or giallo. These movies rely too much on atmosphere for me and I end up losing interest. They could still be good movies, but ADD usually doesn't let me finish them.

For those that don't think there are good horror directors today, check out Neil Marshall's "Dog Soldiers" and "The Descent". Fucking loved "The Descent"!!!!

the descent was fantastic. very underrated

"Slither" was another recent movie I loved. And, of course, it was an homage to "Night Of The Creeps". Dekker only did 2 movies and they are both childhood favorites and classics of the genre. I would also add "Motel Hell" and "Toxic Avenger" to this list. Great amounts fun surely to be had.

motel hell was one of those movies i loved as a kid. i don't know if anybody remembers the old USA network show SATURDAY NIGHT-MARES, but it was always on that and the joe bob briggs show. good stuff and very lame at the same time. i love it

-

The local authorities thought the scene of the girl impaled was real, but it turned out to be staged. They did get in a lot of trouble for animal abuse. They really slaughtered every animal you saw die.

the impaled girl was pretty awesome looking. i remember reading a while back that they made the director go and show them how he did it. they took a bicycle seat and rigged it with that. yeah, the turtle killing was wicked!

MONSTERS/SCI-FI

-THE HOST

-EVENT HORIZON

The Thing is great! My second favorite Carpenter flick behind "In The Mouth Of Madness". And Bill Paxton saying "Game Over Man! Game Over!" in Aliens is one of my all time favorite horror movie qoutes. "Pumpkinhead" and "The Descent" should be on here as well.

pumpkinhead is still awesome. lance "hendy" forever

And I absolutely LOVED the new "Trick 'r Treat"!!!! Not scary at all, but it pays massive amounts of respect to my favorite holiday. Highly recommended!

i just saw the new trick r' treat movie friday night. i agree, i fuckin' loved it. the school bus was great.

i can't leave out demons 1 and demons 2. argento, what can i say. demons 1 is 5 on my all time favorite movies list. gore and rock and roll. enough said

i ripped this movie off line the other day called "GRACE"-jesus fuckin awesome. this is something every horror fan should see. i read some background on it and at screenings people were puking and fainting. that is fucking amazing. the only movies i heard that did that were

ZOMBI, DAWN OF THE DEAD (ORIGINAL), THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (ORIGINAL). they were giving out barfbags for those movies. so everybody needs to see this.

and the toxic avenger is amazing, all of them.

i ripped this movie off line the other day called "GRACE"-jesus fuckin awesome. this is something every horror fan should see. i read some background on it and at screenings people were puking and fainting. that is fucking amazing. the only movies i heard that did that were

ZOMBI, DAWN OF THE DEAD (ORIGINAL), THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (ORIGINAL). they were giving out barfbags for those movies. so everybody needs to see this.

and the toxic avenger is amazing, all of them.

i saw a preview for that on the DVD for deadgirl, i was like holy shit thats fucking creepy! netflix doesn't have it though.

the impaled girl was pretty awesome looking. i remember reading a while back that they made the director go and show them how he did it. they took a bicycle seat and rigged it with that. yeah, the turtle killing was wicked!

Did you read this in Rue Morgue? Cuz I think I read the same article. Top notch horror movie magazine.

i can't leave out demons 1 and demons 2. argento, what can i say. demons 1 is 5 on my all time favorite movies list. gore and rock and roll. enough said

The 2 Demons movies are the only Dario Argento movies I really liked. But then.... he didn't direct them. Now Asia is another story. I'll sit through the shittiest flick just to see more of her. Soooooo Hot!!!!!