Who you removes shrinkwrap?

Sometimes I buy some really old used records that have shrinkwrap on the cover.

Then I remove it because it feels like opening it new.

Sometimes I buy new records and cut a nice slit in the shrinkwrap with a box cutter so I can play the record and preserve the shiny cover.

Then I get annoyed by the shrinkwrap and remove it.

Last night I went record shopping and scored some mad Vindictives at 3 different stores within a 10 minutes walk from each other. At one store I got a new shrinkwrapped Many Moods x2 LP. At another store first pressing of Leave Home. (at their original prices) Then I came home, marveled that this is one of the last times these records would ever be sealed. And I removed the shrinkwrapped. I removed it all. HAHAHAHAHA

Yup, I always get rid of it. Found a couple of records some years ago where it had melted with the sleeves (even though they were properly stored) and could only be partially peeled off. The plastic wrappings also have a tendency to keep shrinking and crunch the sleeve, if it stays there long enough. Have also seen many older records in used bins where the shrinkwrap results in yellowish discolouring of the sleeve.

Guest markovianprocess
Sometimes I buy new records and cut a nice slit in the shrinkwrap with a box cutter so I can play the record and preserve the shiny cover.

I'd usually do this (except with gatefold sleeve releases), there seems to be a lot of evidence that it might not be such a good thing, and I keep them in plastic sleeves anyway. I might take it all off now.

Guest markovianprocess
I removed the shrinkwrap off about 25 records tonight after reading this. Was kind of fun going through my collection taking a closer look at the cover art and so on.

I also done this yesterday. I got a bit worried, especially as about half of my collection still had the shrinkwrap on them other than the slit I cut to remove the record.

i used to keep the shrinkwrap when i first started collecting records, i even kept the stickers and price tag intact on it too, because i thought it would be awesome in a few years to look back at all that crap.

and then i realized it was stupid and got poly sleeves for everything. well worth the 10cents a sleeve