V miniseries remake = WTF?!?

When I was a child one of the most stand out television events was the original V miniseries. I loved it and even at that young age I understood the Nazi/fascist subtext.

They've remade it and the first episode aired last night and I was reservedly stoked. While watching it I was appalled to see that the anti-Nazi slant was removed and replaced with an anti-Obama one. What the fuck? I'm so offended and annoyed by this.

I also grew up hooked on the original series...the pseudo-Nazi references and parallels were awesome...

I dug this remake but it felt like they were trying to cram too much shit into the first episode: sub-plots, shady back-stories, etc...

This one definitely feels rushed compared to the original. The original slowly built tension without ever dragging. The fact that they've already know that they're lizards in the first episode is lame.

I dunno. I was annoyed with what appeared to be right wing propaganda. I'll continue to watch it.

I heard they crammed 6 episodes into 4 so they could get 4 episodes in, then take a small break before showing more episodes (the reason for this escapes me, can't find the site I read it on).

I thought it was decent, but we'll see where it goes I guess...

I recall reading something similar too. Try searching on IO9.

It was okay. The part that made me actually laugh out loud is when they were talking about how they'll offer medical services to all and the reply was "Are you talking about Universal health care?"

Too good.

I have seen part of the original (including some in my hotel at Fest) but I don't recall how it started, so I'm having some trouble comparing the two.

My roommate and I watched it last night and we were bored silly. We thought it might have potential seeing as how there's some Firefly alums. Not the case. We ended up making fun of it mostly and decided we'd have more fun watching Firefly instead. Pass.

Oh yeah and the blatant right-wing slant is kind of lamesauce.

My roommate and I watched it last night and we were bored silly. We thought it might have potential seeing as how there's some Firefly alums. Not the case. We ended up making fun of it mostly and decided we'd have more fun watching Firefly instead. Pass.

Oh yeah and the blatant right-wing slant is kind of lamesauce.

Nice. I haven't had a chance to see this yet but I see commercials for it like crazy. I'm really curious now. I want to see this right wing slant stuff myself :P

yeah, the mention of UHC is the only thing that could be construed of as an Obama jab. so it seems, anyway.

why are they even remaking V? did people really like the first mini-series all that much? i vaguely remember it and have wanted to pickup the dvd set since it came out but i haven't. more curious to see the old series again now though.

I have to say I get annoyed the entertainment industry doesn't recruit more creative people to create new shows and just rely on re-makes. Movies and TV specifically. Life on Mars was a re-make and now "V" follows. Someone must be doing something interesting without it being pseudo-reality.

That said, I didn't know "V" was a remake but I saw it listed on Sci-Fi and read the extended info, which ruined the new show so I skipped it.

I don't know, I've always secretly expected Obama was a lizard-alien, as are most democrats and Dakota Fanning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Reptilian humanoids

In 1999, Icke wrote and published The Biggest Secret: The Book that Will Change the World, in which he identified the extraterrestrial prison warders as reptilians from the constellation Draco.[23] They walk erect and appear to be human, living not only on the planets they come from, but also in caverns and tunnels under the earth. They have cross-bred with humans, which has created "hybrids" who are "possessed" by the full-blooded reptilians.[24] The reptiles' hybrid reptilian-human DNA allows them to change from reptilian to human form if they consume human blood. Icke has drawn parallels with the 1980s science-fiction series V, in which the earth is taken over by reptiloid aliens disguised as humans.

According to Icke, the reptilian group includes many prominent people and practically every world leader from Britain's late Queen Mother to George H.W. Bush, Hillary Clinton, Harold Wilson, and Tony Blair. These people are either themselves reptilian, or work for the reptiles as what Icke calls slave-like victims of multiple personality disorder: "The Rothschilds, Rockefellers, the British royal family, and the ruling political and economic families of the U.S. and the rest of the world come from these SAME bloodlines. It is not because of snobbery, it is to hold as best they can a genetic structure — the reptilian-mammalian DNA combination which allows them to 'shape-shift'."[25]

In Tales From The Time Loop and other works, Icke states that most organised religions, especially Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, are Illuminati creations designed to divide and conquer the human race through endless conflicts. In a similar vein, Icke believes racial and ethnic divisions are an illusion promoted by the reptilians, and that racism fuels the Illuminati agenda.

I don't really see the anti-Obama slant in the show. The health care thing was in the original, the visitors promised to cure all diseases. Calling it universal health care in the remake I guess could be seen as anti-Obama, but its a bit of stretch. Using the term universal health care is salient in the present context and makes sense in terms of the remake since its a commonly heard term in today's political dialogue.