1 TB harddrive

1TB is definitely pretty massive for home use, but I wouldn't ever say excessive, especially given how it seems so many of us here probably have rather large music collections on our computers. It's just great overall for having such a high capacity. It's kind of ridiculous, but the database center for Aetna in Middletown has about 33 TB. Seeing the computers is unbelievable.

I'm seriously considering a powermac with 4 500gig drives as a home server. It sounds excessive, but a couple years ago my wifes HP laptop crashed and at the same time so did the external backup drive. We lost all the photos of my kid, who was 9 months at the time, even the shots of her being born. We got most back from our friends and family, but it was a nightmare. Ever since then I've been crazy about backing things up. I bought my wife an imac and I got one too. I'll never own another PC as long as I live.

if you want to make sure you don't have that happen again get two different external hard drives. when hard drives die they tend to die based on time and the lot they were made in. getting a bunch of drives at the same time from the same maker raises your risk that many of them will die together. don't go too overboard and a mac pro w/ 4 drives provides enough redundancy that you shouldn't have an issue.

in the newest incarnation of os x there's a new backup utility called time machine. it lets you hook-up a drive and get daily back-ups of a lot of your stored information. it looks awesome.

I need to buy a 1tb drive. I'm just waiting a year or two to see if there are any major issues with the Seagate or Western Digital drives. Seagate is amazing and they offer 5 year warranties on their drives, but I'm a huge fan of the W.D. MyBook series. I currently have a 500gb and its filled to the brim. It's only my backup, so I don't actually have extra space. Adding a 1tb would be swell. I also want it to be a network drive, so I can just use it as my shares.

Man I honestly remember when I installed a 2 GB hard drive in my computer and thought that I would never fill this thing up.

Now to save up for a 4 TB Raid array computer tee hee

shit what are your specs?

Currently running

AMD XP 3000+

2, GB Ram,

about 300 GB total HD space,

BFG 7800 GS Video Card,

Soyo Dragon KT-400 ultra Mother Board

Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD

Dualboot: Linux(Ubuntu)/Windows XP (just trying to get software equivalents on the Ubuntu side so I can wipe the XP drive)

It's pretty much a 5 year old machine that I've been putting a little bit of money into every now and again.

I am loving the issues and fun I have trying to network the Linux side with my Macbook

Yeah, Time Machine is insane. I honestly can't quite comprehend how they did that, but it's rad.

But the best solution we've come up with so far for backing up the baby pictures is ... TO PRINT THEM! We just sent 600 photos to Apple for printing. Now that is a true dedication to analog.