Y'know what really grinds my gears?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general lack of grammar and punctuation in a lot of online posts grinds my gears. Especially when they remove letters from words and use the wrong "to, too, their, there, they're, etc." It gets so bad it's almost impossible for me to understand what point they're trying to get across.

The other one that bugs me is, thanks to David Cross, the incorrect use of literally. "He literally ripped his head off with that play!" Argh! No he didn't....

"All intensive purposes..."

Fucking "supposably" is the worst.

Spot on. This might be the only one that actually makes me cringe or twitch just a bit when I hear it. It's almost an awkward feeling, as if I'm embarrassed for them, yet I also understand that they probably got this from their friends, family, and social connections...supposably. So I usually don't correct them. Maybe I should.

i dislike when people write out sentences or text sentences that dont have punctuation or capitalization so when youre skimming its hard to read correctly you really dont know where one sentence begins and ends perhaps the person writing the paragraph has nothing important to say but you have to take your time and read it all to make sure of the posters meaning instead of just skimming it anyone else with me one this raise your hands

It's because of the contraction of "it is" that forced "them" (whoever) to drop the apostrophe out of the possessive. People would try reading it as "it is" when it's just the possessive.

I always get annoyed by these grammar rules, but at the end of the day, any language exists so that people can express themselves. Languages are always evolving, so is it really a problem to accept new usage? I always go back and forth on this stuff, but tend to lean more towards the "learn the fucking language" crew.

It's because of the contraction of "it is" that forced "them" (whoever) to drop the apostrophe out of the possessive. People would try reading it as "it is" when it's just the possessive.

I always get annoyed by these grammar rules, but at the end of the day, any language exists so that people can express themselves. Languages are always evolving, so is it really a problem to accept new usage? I always go back and forth on this stuff, but tend to lean more towards the "learn the fucking language" crew.

Shouldn't that be 'whomever?'