Y'know what really grinds my gears?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true. I suppose it takes practice. I notice what a lot of my "verbal crutches" are and I try to consciously eradicate them. I suppose most people don't notice or care for themselves though. It still makes life hell for me when I have to talk to kids and adults that can't say anything concisely when I'm in a hurry anyway. GRAAAH.
When I was student teaching my professor pointed out all my verbal crutches, and I got sooooooooooo self-conscience about it. I actively try to remove them, but still do.

i'm a full-on rapist!

The night that episode aired, I laughed until I was crying and then I proceeded to text "I'm a full-on rapist" to everyone in my phone.

I still have no idea what milk steak is, though.

Also, the only thing that really bothers me is when people type "gurl" or "mah".

i have some idiosyncrasies that annoy most people. i have brain farts that you would not believe. i seriously can't remember small details of conversations a minute after they've happened. Though i can remember them days later. And I say "um" alot while snapping my fingers, because for some reason it helps me remember. I'm not doing it so much as speech, but i'm just saying it to kill time so i'm not standing there in silence while my brain computes something. I don't sleep much so my brain isn't fully functional in most cases. It doesn't happen when i've had ample sleep. Just when i've been up for days on end running on less than an hour or so of sleep.

Therefore i can't really be annoyed by people's verbal crutches. Well unless they say "like" as in " like my mom like came over to the like new home, and like brought some food, like over."

I think it is funny that this thread is based around thinking "I could care less" is not a valid/correct statement. I personally see it as valid, as I see it as a sarcastic way of saying "I couldn't care less." Besides, who here has a PhD in english? No one right? Therefore, why does it matter? Wouldn't your time be better spent fighting things like int3rnet t4lk?

Actually the more I think about it, I really could care less, and choose to do so now.

^ So because someone doesn't have a PhD in English, that means they shouldn't try or make an effort to use proper grammar? It's that sort of mentality that leads to "int3rn3tz t4lk" being socially accepted by the mass of idiots. It's terribly, horribly sad when (and this is a true story) you take multiple college level English classes and the professor has to clarify that internet lingo and slang is unacceptable to use for an essay, term paper, or resume because people seriously do it year after year.

Maybe it is shallow of me, but there is a tiny part of my brain that judges people for bad grammar.

And don't get me wrong, I make grammatical mistakes from time to time. Everyone does. I will even admit I do murder the English language when I'm severely intoxicated. But I own up to it and try to fix it. In the way some people take pride in their appearance I take pride in my usage of language.

I think it is funny that this thread is based around thinking "I could care less" is not a valid/correct statement. I personally see it as valid, as I see it as a sarcastic way of saying "I couldn't care less." Besides, who here has a PhD in english? No one right? Therefore, why does it matter? Wouldn't your time be better spent fighting things like int3rnet t4lk?

Actually the more I think about it, I really could care less, and choose to do so now.

My wife has her masters in english, does that come close enough for you?

I think the internet has just made everyone so goddamn lazy. I know my writing/grammar skills have suffered tremendously from the amount of time I spend chatting and dicking around online. It's like any concern for proper format goes completely out the window for the sake of brevity. It's taking an insane amount of effort for me to properly punctuate and capitalize this post, and I'm a fucking Linguistics major!

^ So because someone doesn't have a PhD in English, that means they shouldn't try or make an effort to use proper grammar? It's that sort of mentality that leads to "int3rn3tz t4lk" being socially accepted by the mass of idiots. It's terribly, horribly sad when (and this is a true story) you take multiple college level English classes and the professor has to clarify that internet lingo and slang is unacceptable to use for an essay, term paper, or resume because people seriously do it year after year.

Maybe it is shallow of me, but there is a tiny part of my brain that judges people for bad grammar.

And don't get me wrong, I make grammatical mistakes from time to time. Everyone does. I will even admit I do murder the English language when I'm severely intoxicated. But I own up to it and try to fix it. In the way some people take pride in their appearance I take pride in my usage of language.

you'd probably hate me then. My grammar is atrocious!!

i hate people who can't accessorize. :P

I think the internet has just made everyone so goddamn lazy. I know my writing/grammar skills have suffered tremendously from the amount of time I spend chatting and dicking around online. It's like any concern for proper format goes completely out the window for the sake of brevity. It's taking an insane amount of effort for me to properly punctuate and capitalize this post, and I'm a fucking Linguistics major!

"I'm not lazy, I'm just...Lisa, finish my sentence for me."

"Finish your own *fades off*"