Raiding old stashes of vinyl

Since I'm holding down my mom's fort while she's away for a while, I decided to dig into her vinyl collection. I pretty much crippled myself carrying out of the basement, and it's worn pretty good, but there's some serious gems in here.

Notables so far include basically every Beatles and Beatles-related vinyl from the beginning through their solo careers, tons of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young combos, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Not-so-notables include Jesus Christ Superstar, Yes, and a lot of John Denver. I'm about a third of the way through.

None of it's in any really good condition - the vinyl itself is not bad at all, she handled that well, but the sleeves are all torn to shit. It's kind of musty since it's been in 3 different basements for the last 25 years, but I'm far from an audiophile. Better than raiding used vinyl bins at the store, anyway.

It's keeping me entertained for a while.

Finding some Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, and a shit-ton of Elton John and Rod Stewart. I've got two piles going, stuff I want to potentially take, and stuff I've either never heard of or have absolutely no interest in. It's split about 40-60 respectively.

My dad is more anal retentive and particular about his 25,000+ record collection than I am about my measly 200ish collection. The only problem is he refuses to catalog it all in a spreadsheet like I keep asking him to do. But it'll be a fun adventure when I inherit that monstrosity one day. He owns about 98% of everything ever released by The Beach Boys.

Very cool man!

My pops still has his stash but it mainly consist of stuff like War, Berry White, BB King, Etc..

I was however able to make use of his 25yr old turn table though lol

My mom hasn't had a turntable since she got married.

My dad has probably 400-500 records from the '60s and '70s including some of the better stuff from the '80s. He's also got an excellent set-up. It's all in great condition because he's so anal.

Only problem is that none of us get along with him and our only contact since I've been in 8th grade is him sending child support. As morbid and sad as it is, his collection is what I've got my eye on more than anything else when he goes. Unfortunately he'll probably hang around forever. He'd also probably rather have his house burned down than leave anything to us..

My dad is more anal retentive and particular about his 25,000+ record collection than I am about my measly 200ish collection. The only problem is he refuses to catalog it all in a spreadsheet like I keep asking him to do. But it'll be a fun adventure when I inherit that monstrosity one day. He owns about 98% of everything ever released by The Beach Boys.
Haha I bet I'll find a lot of Beach Boys if I keep digging through this pile.

My dad owns every record on my wants list.

No, I'm not kidding. He's a real fucker.

It wasn't on purpose or anything.

He's just fucking awesome, and more of a collector than me.

Also, I want that fucking Skynyrd. SELL IT ALL TO ME. :)

Oh no, I'm going to keep those ones. They're in good condition. She only had their first album ("pronouced...") and "Nuthin' Fancy".

Black Sabboth's Paranoid is near mint, I can tell she didn't really like that kind of music. Led Zeppelin's IV is almost perfect, too.

All the Beatle's stuff she has is murdered... her White Album, the original Apple press, is like a book. Both parts of the gatefold sleeve are ripped all the way on the top and bottom. The inner sleeves are basically not there anymore. It's kind of sad, but I know she played the shit out of them so she definitely got her money's worth.

There's a few doubles, like one Buffalo Springfield album (the one that starts off with "For What It's Worth"), but one copy is beat so I imagine she replaced it for a reason. So far the few that I've played all sound pretty great. Nothing more than a couple of pops near the beginning. She handled them well, too. No fingerprints on any of the grooves.

Too much Rod Stewart in there for my liking.

I finally inherited the box of 45s HIDDEN away in my parents garage I'd been coveting since I was a kid. It was all the stuff my parents took from their parents in the early 80s for safe keeping including a ton of late fifties to early sixties rhythm & blues 45s. Plus I found one of my favorite northern soul tracks - Etta James "Seven Day Fool" (which would have set me back $100-150). Not nearly as much swamp pop or New Orleans soul/funk in there as I'd hoped for.

I'm just waiting to get thrown my uncles stash. There's a Butcher Cover, mono Piper At the Gates of Dawn, every orig UK press Nick Drake, and way more (like 5-ish milkcrates) Beatles bootlegs than you could imagine someone who mostly stopped buying wax in the mid 80s could ever have. Not to mention insane Replacements and JAMC rarities.

I finally inherited the box of 45s HIDDEN away in my parents garage I'd been coveting since I was a kid. It was all the stuff my parents took from their parents in the early 80s for safe keeping including a ton of late fifties to early sixties rhythm & blues 45s. Plus I found one of my favorite northern soul tracks - Etta James "Seven Day Fool" (which would have set me back $100-150). Not nearly as much swamp pop or New Orleans soul/funk in there as I'd hoped for.

Who takes something for safe keeping and puts it in a garage?

My parents sold all their records when I was like 5.