The official VC Horror thread

xfedupx

Finally watched Trick'R'Treat...thought it was awesome! Definitely a throw back to the old Creepshow movies. Also, I rented Train today...wow. I thought Hostel went overboard with the gore...Train was disgusting.

I kind of want to watch this movie cause I heard it has some pretty sweet action but I heard there's a scene where a dude plows a dead guy's chest cavity. Not really something I want to see.

Yes, that was a what the fuck is going on moment. The ending dragged a little, but overall the movie kept my interest.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Cabin Fever 2 yesterday, and it was definitely better than I expected, but it still kind of sucked. Some of the gore in it is great, and none of the characters are awful, but it just wasn't put together very well. The sequencing on it was pretty bad, and it's obvious that they want to do a third movie, but had no idea how to effectively set up a suitable ending. There's one scene that gross pretty much everyone out, especially any guy who watches it.

I watched Cabin Fever 2 yesterday, and it was definitely better than I expected, but it still kind of sucked. Some of the gore in it is great, and none of the characters are awful, but it just wasn't put together very well. The sequencing on it was pretty bad, and it's obvious that they want to do a third movie, but had no idea how to effectively set up a suitable ending. There's one scene that gross pretty much everyone out, especially any guy who watches it.

Just got done watching this, and I gotta disagree on all fronts. I LOVED this movie and Ti West is quickly becoming one of my favorite director's in horror. It had such an 80's vibe going, and I thought the character's were very enjoyable. Nice to see Winston get some more screen time, I felt he stole the scene every time he was on. I felt the ending was a bit....odd? But I've read from interviews with Ti West that the ending was the main reason the film had been delayed for so long. Apparently the producer's wanted something different than what he shot, even after it tested well...so they did a new ending without his involvement. Regardless, I loved this movie and recommend it to anyone who's into 80's horror.

It sucks that they're remaking let the right one in for us release.

I bet you they'll find someway to ruin it.

By far one of the better vampire movies i have ever seen.

It looks like the remake wont be totally awful. They at least cast little kids and are going for a hard r, instead of twilighting it. Unnecessary but hey at least they're treating it with respect.

Really? That's always seemed like the movie every kid who's into horror hears about and gets excited for only to be let down once they watch it. At least that's my experience and the experience of many of my friends.

Oh ha it was misinterpreted i meant if anyone had seen it?

My wife wanted to see it after hearing about it for years and she thought it was gross but was still kind of let down. She isn't a gorehound by any means but when a prissy lady is saying you're over rated it's probably so. Main thing we both didn't like about it was the killing of real animals. It's a bullshit practice that didn't add anything to the movie and I hate that it's still in there.

Watched a movie called Cold Prey tonight when I got home from work. I saw that a few reviewers from Bloody Disgusting mentioned it on their best of lists from last year. Was not impressed at all, lame killer and pretty boring...it felt like it never gained any momentum during the parts it should have. Cool setting though

There's a Feast III, actually. If you're going to watch one of them, you should really make a night out of the entire "trilogy". It's just one long movie, and it gets more and more ridiculous the longer it goes. If you have nothing else to do, though, and you want to sit around with some friends watching a cheesy movie, I highly recommend it.

Personally, I'd just stick with the original Feast. The sequels were pretty awful and took away from the charm the first one had.

and the sequels don't have henry rollins.

Just got done watching this, and I gotta disagree on all fronts. I LOVED this movie and Ti West is quickly becoming one of my favorite director's in horror. It had such an 80's vibe going, and I thought the character's were very enjoyable. Nice to see Winston get some more screen time, I felt he stole the scene every time he was on. I felt the ending was a bit....odd? But I've read from interviews with Ti West that the ending was the main reason the film had been delayed for so long. Apparently the producer's wanted something different than what he shot, even after it tested well...so they did a new ending without his involvement. Regardless, I loved this movie and recommend it to anyone who's into 80's horror.

We just watched this today and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely seemed like the style was different than the first one. I know what scene you're talking about and my bf totally cringed during that part.

Also, not sure if anyone is in to the documentary American Movie about Mark Borchardt, but he plays "Herman" in Cabin Fever 2, the guy that picks up Winston in the van. I thought that was cool he was in it.

We also watched House Of The Devil before CF2 and it was pretty creepy....

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone is in SoCal, I HIGHLY suggest checking this out if you can. I went on Saturday night and it blew me away. It's basically little 2 minute skits of your worst nightmares. I felt like I was in a movie with some of em.

[image]

saw this on your recommendation a couple weeks ago. thanks. i highly recommend it, my friends and i enjoyed it.

saw some movies this past weekend..

dead snow, house of the devil and triangle

i'd rank them:

house of the devil

dead snow

triangle

i'd probably recommend dead snow the most though because i don't think house of the devil is a movie everyone would like, where dead snow has more universal appeal.

If anyone is in SoCal, I HIGHLY suggest checking this out if you can. I went on Saturday night and it blew me away. It's basically little 2 minute skits of your worst nightmares. I felt like I was in a movie with some of em.

[image]

saw this on your recommendation a couple weeks ago. thanks. i highly recommend it, my friends and i enjoyed it.

saw some movies this past weekend..

dead snow, house of the devil and triangle

i'd rank them:

house of the devil

dead snow

triangle

i'd probably recommend dead snow the most though because i don't think house of the devil is a movie everyone would like, where dead snow has more universal appeal.

Glad you dug it man! Apparently that group does stuff like that all the time.

Not really horror, but has anyone gotten into the new Spartacus series on Starz? Lots of boobs and (cgi) blood. The way it's shot can get annoying at times but it's super fun. It's basically Gladiator shot in the style of 300

Been on a werewolf kick lately. Saw The Howling and Wolfen for the first time and enjoyed both of them. I was thinking that it's such an under utilized element in horror. Including those films, there's maybe 3 more wolf movies I really like: Dog Soldiers, American Werewolf in London, and the original Wolfman. In comparison to the amount of high quality vampire and zombie films, wolf movies really are lacking.

Saw "The Signal" over the weekend and it was pretty good. I was falling in and out of sleep so I need to watch it again, but the first half I was awake for was pretty good. Basically, a weird signal coming from tvs and radios turns people into psycho, rage filled people.

That sounds pretty interesting. It reminds me of a film from the 80's called Remote Control starring Kevin Dillon. It was about this Alien video tape that made you kill if you watched it. I think i still have it on VHS, wish they'd release a dvd though

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have some decent knowledge on the 70s films, like the Hammer films and the Something Weird type videos? Any recommendations?

For Hammer in the 70s you're looking at a lot of sequels and failed attempts to catch up to the (then) current market. They couldn't match the violence present in American films so they upped the levels of sexual depictions in the films. They even partnered with the Shaw Brothers Studio for a few films. Outside of maybe Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Hands of the Ripper there isn't a whole lot, in my opinion, worth getting into.

Something Weird on the other hand is a great place to check out. I recommend the movies of H.G. Lewis especially Blood Feast and The Wizard of Gore. Just be prepared for some poor acting but cool gore effects. If you like Blood Feast stay away from the sequel. It's terrible. Beyond those, just dive into the catalog. I have yet to be disappointed by Something Weird.

On my end, I just got the Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit in the mail and watched all three of those. I had forgotten how enjoyable the two sequels are. Very funny early parodies of the slasher film and it's conventions.

did you get the "red cross" edition? that one is rare because the red cross threatened to sue if they didn't discontinue the box and recall the stock. if you did, hold on to it buddy. sleepaway camp 1 is my 5th favorite movie ever! love me some slasher movies from the 80's, the golden age

i just purchased nekromantik and nekromantik 2. some of the most vile shit i have ever seen. i love them both so much. i guess it's a good thing i never get disgusted, offended or shocked. the final 5 minutes of nekromantik 2 are so disgusting and amazing. highly recommend both of them. if you have a week stomach, don't watch ever

Just read through all 5 pages of this post

Im surprised no one put in 3 Extremes

3 short movies made by 3 of the more known asian horror directors (Miike, Park-Chan wook [vengence trilogies])

All 3 shorts are pretty awesome, and the Miike one is worth the price alone

There was an ill put out sequel..but..the first one is legit

Imprint (Masters of Horror) was awesome

Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is outstanding