Water Damage...

Soooo, just sitting on the couch and the Girlfriend swears she felt rain drop on her head...look at the ceiling and dont see any water marks or water dripping. I feel it on my hand...can't figure out where it's coming from...open the curtains and find water pretty much pouring out behind out couch. Well, Since we moved in August I've had the bulk of my records in Cardboard boxes and taking out a small stack of records to listen to at a time....the boxes were stored under an end table inbetween the couches....whichapparently has been leaking the entire time we've been in our house...thankfully the outermost box took all the damage. the only records that are really really damaged are Underoath's "Define The Great Line", Boris "Pink", Jawbreaker "Dear You", Bear Vs. Shark "Right Now You're In The Best of Hands. And if something isn't quite right youre doctory will know in a hurry" on Half Green/Half Clear", Cursive "Mama, I'm swollen" (not the best record, but the packaging is fantastic), aaaand The Counter Clockwise "The Counter Clockwise". All of these records (with the exception of Cursive b/c the inner sleeve is plastic) have mold on the actual records though...That said, does anybody know of a decent and cheap way to remove the mold from the records themselves?

Here's what I would do. The records are fucked anyway, so this won't hurt to try. Fill a little basin/tub/bucket or something with distilled water and 90% alcohol...this stuff is super cheap at Target or whatever. The mixture doesn't much matter at this point, but maybe do one part alcohol to 5 parts water. Submerge the affected part of the record and try to wipe off all that you can, let dry and there you go.

The jacket is another matter....there is no way to get the mold all the way out of it. If they mean that much to you , try and contact the labels that put them out and just ask for replacement covers. I did it with Fat and they happily came through(it was 10 years out of print).

Good luck and sorry man.

When it comes to mold youre fucked. it wont come out of the jackets, and they will always smell. On the record sometimes you can clean them if its a little, but water damage just fucks records something fierce. Ive seen many come through the used record store in town and the people get pissed when the owner wont buy them because of it.

to JasonSpanks...yes, that's the one

to monk0nuggets... I Rent, the only other thing that was a bit scary is there's an electrical outlet right underneath the window where all of our lamps in our living room were plugged in, but somehow it didn't get water into it...that would've been scary. Also my landlord already came by, apparently his son is really into vinyl (oddly enough) so he agreed to pay for any of the damaged records...I probably won't hold him to it though, none of these really have a shit-ton of sentimental value to me (except for the Bear vs. Shark)...had it been my Murder City Devils collection I honestly might have cried

to Bannned in VC & Impact...I greatly appreciate the help guys, I'm going to let the jackets and sleeves dry over night and try some of soap/alcohol solutions tomorrow

appreciate the responses guys...I'm gonna go drink some bourbon for now