Life of a vinyl record?

Guest itsajakie

Guest itsajakie

roughly how long do well taken care of records last?

normally, when im REALLY into something... i might listen to it 3 or more times a day.

i was just wondering if they will last for a really long time, or if i should cherish the time i have with them. lol

As long as the record is played with a cartridge that is properly set-up and tracks as it should, records will last a long, long time. That being said, I also think the quality of vinyl used for the pressing is a factor as well - those super-thin Dynaflex LPs from the early 70's don't hold up.

If you start hearing inner groove distortion and/or sibilance, that's a potential indicator of a mis-aligned cart, incorrect balancing or groove damage. Beware of cheap turntables!

I have a number of records that are more than 50 years old. I also have some 78s that play just fine for how old they are and what they are made of. Records last a very long time.

One things that I've found interesting: when I was in college I studied history, specifically the collecting, analyzing and storage of historical documents etc. There was a movement to move toward a paperless society as you probably know, and documents were put onto all sorts of discs and storage mediums. To the surprise of a lot of nerds, those discs etc. started to lose their info. Particularly interesting to me were the early CDs, which had a lifespan of about 20 years. Now I have plenty of CDs that are 20 years old, but my point is, you never know how long that shit will last. Records, on the other hand, have 100 years of reliability under their belt. And once you get to the age of vinyl records, they don't really deteriorate. I think records are easily your best bet for long-term collections.

Guest itsajakie

dang that sucks. i have a little distortion on inner tracks on a few records. thought it was just not a very good pressing... :-/

maybe i should take this record player back and start looking for something else... can anyone suggest ANYTHING in a 100 - 150 dollar price range that wont suck?

From the time a record is a young 7" lad, he dreams of being used for a greater good...he goes through the maturity of mastering, pressing, and dreams of being a part of a long playing album. When a single is grown, and through marriage with another worthy single, they bond together with others to form a 12". When this LP is born, it is adopted by a worthy owner and cherished, or sold into a trafficking monster known as "the bay". Eventually, the beloved album falls into the hands of an owner who is willing to care for, tend to, and listen to his new blessing. Now like everything in this life, age, wear, and tear will dwindle down the life of even the best of the 180 grams, but fear not. With proper nurturing, these albums can live long, full lives, which will bring you years of enjoyment and happiness.

That, my friends, in a nutshell, is the life of a record.

dang that sucks. i have a little distortion on inner tracks on a few records. thought it was just not a very good pressing... :-/

maybe i should take this record player back and start looking for something else... can anyone suggest ANYTHING in a 100 - 150 dollar price range that wont suck?

I wouldn't buy anything that cheap again.

Just wait and save until you can purchase something over $300. That's what I'm doing.

From the time a record is a young 7" lad, he dreams of being used for a greater good...he goes through the maturity of mastering, pressing, and dreams of being a part of a long playing album. When a single is grown, and through marriage with another worthy single, they bond together with others to form a 12". When this LP is born, it is adopted by a worthy owner and cherished, or sold into a trafficking monster known as "the bay". Eventually, the beloved album falls into the hands of an owner who is willing to care for, tend to, and listen to his new blessing. Now like everything in this life, age, wear, and tear will dwindle down the life of even the best of the 180 grams, but fear not. With proper nurturing, these albums can live long, full lives, which will bring you years of enjoyment and happiness.

very heart felt. i dig it. out of everything posted on this board...this is now my fav post EVER.

*added to favorites.

I think I need to realign my cartridge, but I don't really have any idea what I am doing.

there's a place down the street from me (just west of belmont and sheffield) where if you call ahead, and they have the right guy there, they will align it for you. it's called saturday audio exchange. they're only open saturdays and a few other evenings. really nice guys.

Until the demon hell spawn known as "the post man" brutally mauls and slays the record. this is known as the circle of life

On a moderately priced system, properly aligned, a record will last hundreds of plays. But you need to make sure you have a decent stylus that's properly aligned, otherwise your stylus will be ripping apart one channel, or destroying the inner grooves. That cannot be repaired, and could have been avoided.

There is a record preservative by a company called Last that apparently works with the vinyl on a molecular level to harden it. I've always avoided it because I figured it coated it in something, and I spend a lot on products to vacuum off the mold release compounds so why would I coat my records with something else? But anyway, I guess it doesn't coat it in anything, it just bonds with the vinyl to strengthen them. They claim that records will last hundreds and hundreds of plays with virtually no deformation. They also claim it makes them sound better by filling in microscopic cracks that create small pops and ticks. You might wanna look into that.

Guest itsajakie

this has really worried me. i'm thinking really hard about buying all my records a 2nd time from flippers just to start fresh... just incase i DID hurt my records at all. sound quality is my thing. :-/

wow I am still not worried about my Crosley suitcase record player because I listen to the same records over and over and they sound just fine.

to those of you who say THAT X amount of money = a X amount of quality. Please off yourself with those high end cables. Audiophiles are worse than flippers.

wow I am still not worried about my Crosley suitcase record player because I listen to the same records over and over and they sound just fine.

to those of you who say THAT X amount of money = a X amount of quality. Please off yourself with those high end cables. Audiophiles are worse than flippers.

Don't knock it till you've heard it swoop. If attaining excellent sound reproduction isn't your thing, don't worry about it - no need to trash folks.

A lot of stuff out there is snake-oil, but a lot more isn't - just have to be smart about it.

I'm just getting started on a vinyl collection. Are 180g records supposed to sound better or last longer. Is there a noticable difference in either?

Both. Honestly, you have to have a pretty decent setup to notice a big difference in sound, but the thicker vinyl takes longer to wear.