Netflix Instant Streaming Questions

Am probably gonna subscribe to Netflix's cheapest package, mostly for the instant streaming, but figured I'd ask a few questions to some people who might know.

-How good is the selection for streaming?

-How long does it take for a brand new movie to appear?

-Are most new movies available to stream relatively close to release date?

And if anyone uses this on the Xbox 360, do you know if it's locked to a console, or just the HDD? (If I took my 360's HDD to a buddy's place to watch a movie, would Netflix work on his 360?)

Selection is good, studios have some sort of deal with Netflix where there is a certain period of time that has to pass before it is available to them. Not a ton of new movies, but a lot of recent stuff.

Not sure about the 360, but if i'm not mistaken there's some sort of fee you have to pay to use it on the 360. Computer & PS3 are free.

One more thing, don't sign up for their cheapest package, yeah, it's only like $4.99 a month, but you can only stream a maximum of two hours a month. Bump up to the $8.99 package and it's unlimited.

I was actually looking at the $8.99 subscription. I had no clue a $4.99 one even existed, hahah.

And the Xbox 360 version of it is free to Xbox Live Gold members, which is the premium version of its online services. (Have been a Gold member for over 5 years, so that isn't a problem for me)

Guest eriathomas

It's better to check their streaming on the site, rather than through the netflix dashboard on the 360 since it does not list even a fraction of what is streamable. It'd be nice if they implemented a search feature.

I just signed up for the 8.99 plan myself. I'm not sure if it's locked to the hard drive on a 360 or not. But I can access my account from my 360, PS3, and my laptop. I also have the same account tied to another PS3 I have in our living room. You do need a disc for the ps3 though so that might be different since it loads netflix to the hard drive on the 360. I've found the Instant Streaming has a much better selection for TV shows than it does for movies. I would imagine you would be able to take your hard drive to a friends house and still do instant streaming.

Does anyone know how to get more than just the 100 options they give you for streaming in each category on the ps3? Doesnt make alot of sense to watch the first season and the most recent season streaming so Im hoping that you can find a way to stream them as well on ps3 and not just your computer.