Fresh tattoos?

minty

kinda off the subject.

what are some of the ways you guys take care of a fresh tattoo? i am just interested in what has worked for others.

my first tattoo i kept it wrapped for about an hour, then took the wrap off and just used lotion before and after washings. this is what i was told and it scabbed like a mother fucker.

a buddy started working on my second one and told me a different method which seems to work very well for me and i never scab up.

for the first 3 to 4 days i keep it in plastic wrap and wash 3 times a day. after that i just use plain old curel lotion. works like a charm for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda off the subject.

what are some of the ways you guys take care of a fresh tattoo? i am just interested in what has worked for others.

my first tattoo i kept it wrapped for about an hour, then took the wrap off and just used lotion before and after washings. this is what i was told and it scabbed like a mother fucker.

a buddy started working on my second one and told me a different method which seems to work very well for me and i never scab up.

for the first 3 to 4 days i keep it in plastic wrap and wash 3 times a day. after that i just use plain old curel lotion. works like a charm for me.

i have used many methods too. best thing i used was batadine plus (clear) (which i can't find anymore) after washing and air drying. shit never scabbed, and the blacks stayed black.

now i just wash, throw a small amount of a&d that's it for a few days. after that, i just don't bother and it rarely scabs. i have not once put any form of wrapping around a new tattoo after the initial wrapping.

i always tell people to stay clear of any alcohol based lotions or neosporin. mainly because the body builds a tolerance and it's pointless. it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't do anything after a few days.

for my tattoo i was told to leave the bandage on until the next morning. i did that, then when i woke up i took it off and jumped in the shower right away. cleaned it really good with soap and water, then patted it dry afterwards with a paper towel. (did that the first 3-4 days after showers). if it was feeling dry, i put on a very small amount of A&D ointment, but not much. just enough to cover the tattoo. i tried to do that as little as possible (probably only did it 3-4 times as well).

had ZERO scabbing. healed like a charm. didn't need any touchup work. but then again, i have really resilient skin. my artist said he was amazed at how little i bled during my tattoo. but that's what worked for me. when i get another tattoo, i'll follow those same steps.

kinda off the subject.

i have used many methods too. best thing i used was batadine plus (clear) (which i can't find anymore) after washing and air drying. shit never scabbed, and the blacks stayed black.

now i just wash, throw a small amount of a&d that's it for a few days. after that, i just don't bother and it rarely scabs. i have not once put any form of wrapping around a new tattoo after the initial wrapping.

i always tell people to stay clear of any alcohol based lotions or neosporin. mainly because the body builds a tolerance and it's pointless. it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't do anything after a few days.

you got some superhuman skin there dude. haha.

the first 3 or 4 days i dont use lotion with the plastic wrap. i guess its more of a natural healing process or something. people always ask how long i have had my tattoos and they are suprised when i answer 8 years. altough i am very strict when it comes to the tatttoos and sun. i always have sunblock with me. i will even throw some on just to cut the grass.

also i will say ink will not hold on my elbow at all. when i originally got my tattoo he went over it again at the next sitting, and let me tell you that shit hurts like hell. dude was also pretty heavy handed.

damn all this tattoo talk has got me giddy. i need a new one stat.

My elbows kept scabs on them weeks longer that the rest of the tattoo. That's annoying to me... At the end of the day, though, people have commented that they can't believe how well my elbows hold, so there's that. What I always do post tattoo is keep the wrapping on for one hour and then wash the area. I always use a soap that is as simple as possible (fragrance-free, color-free, all that crap) and then pat dry. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll use a thin layer of A+D (like Dan said) for three days to one week, before I switch over to fragrance free lotion whenever I feel like I need it. I've never had tons of scabbing and my shit holds up great.

Edit: And I couldn't agree more that elbows hurt like hell.

for the first 3 to 4 days i keep it in plastic wrap

now i'm no expert, but isn't that a REALLY bad idea? i've been told that you should never wrap a tattoo in plastic for more than a few hours max because you need to let it breathe, and the plastic will make you sweat more and keep it trapped in there.

you got some superhuman skin there dude. haha.

the first 3 or 4 days i dont use lotion with the plastic wrap. i guess its more of a natural healing process or something. people always ask how long i have had my tattoos and they are suprised when i answer 8 years. altough i am very strict when it comes to the tatttoos and sun. i always have sunblock with me. i will even throw some on just to cut the grass.

also i will say ink will not hold on my elbow at all. when i originally got my tattoo he went over it again at the next sitting, and let me tell you that shit hurts like hell. dude was also pretty heavy handed.

damn all this tattoo talk has got me giddy. i need a new one stat.

Yeah, i never go out in the sun so i never have to worry about them fading..lol.

man, i took my elbow like a champ.. shit did not hurt at all. then again the dude i go to is heavy handed and just runs that shit through quickly (mainly because it's free) and it didnt fade in the least. Not to mention i probably didn't take care of it as best as i could have, fuck it was my elbow. i couldn't keep my arm straight all day.

I have a high tolerance for pain anywhere on my body that most people say sucks.. underarms, elbows, inner arm.. hell we watched half baked and the dude got pissed at me because i was laughing and wouldn't sit still. once i actually slept during the time i got my inner arm colored in. i can't understand how the biggest guys can't even fill in a full wrap around barbedwire tattoo yet i sleep during mine.

but then again when it comes to forearms i'm a pantywaist. for some reason getting my forearms tattooed sucked major ass. Weird huh?

for the first 3 to 4 days i keep it in plastic wrap

now i'm no expert, but isn't that a REALLY bad idea? i've been told that you should never wrap a tattoo in plastic for more than a few hours max because you need to let it breathe, and the plastic will make you sweat more and keep it trapped in there.

i dont just keep it in the plastic for 4 days straight. i will wash 3 times a day and instead of using lotion i put the wrap back on and let it heal naturally.

plus this guy thinks it works great.

[image]

i never thought of this before but when i got my first tattoo, i just did the lotion thing and it scabbed up like a bitch. i think the reason was because he actually went over the whole tattoo 3 times. first with the black then the red and ended with the yellow. maybe i actually scarred up more than i should have causing more of a scab. i could be way off though.

[image]

so when i did the plastic wrap deal on the others and the out come was better i just stuck with it.

EDIT - kind of a bad picture but you can see where alot of the color was lost because of the scabbing.

I am terrible at taking care of my tattoos, yet i've never lost color or anything. Had one touchup session because of a show, and that was on a small tattoo. I usually use a&d for like 2 days (twice a day) then nothing. Never scab, never fuck up.

I'm looking forward to my elbow being done though, i hear it hurts. I also heard that about the ribs, but i fell asleep for 20 minutes while getting my ribs done (i was laying down and comfortable!)

I'm looking forward to my elbow being done though, i hear it hurts. I also heard that about the ribs, but i fell asleep for 20 minutes while getting my ribs done (i was laying down and comfortable!)

Jeeze I haven't posted here in a while (just been lurking), but I feel the need to tell you this. haha

In my opinion, the elbow, not a terrible as it's made out to be. I have full color over my entire elbow and surrounding area and I went in expecting the worst and it really felt just like anywhere else I've been tattooed. Not any worse or better. But we could only do 2 hour sessions at a time because by the time we hit 2 hours my elbow was the size of a basketball and I couldn't even bend my arm straight down. But that's just me I swell up bad.

The only thing I can honestly say that sucked was the funny bone on the side of my elbow. Its a small spot but probably the worst little spot in the whole elbow region.

Jeeze I haven't posted here in a while (just been lurking), but I feel the need to tell you this. haha

In my opinion, the elbow, not a terrible as it's made out to be. I have full color over my entire elbow and surrounding area and I went in expecting the worst and it really felt just like anywhere else I've been tattooed. Not any worse or better. But we could only do 2 hour sessions at a time because by the time we hit 2 hours my elbow was the size of a basketball and I couldn't even bend my arm straight down. But that's just me I swell up bad.

The only thing I can honestly say that sucked was the funny bone on the side of my elbow. Its a small spot but probably the worst little spot in the whole elbow region.

i got my elbow done in like 30 minutes. he pounded the shit out of me with a 11 round and finished rather quickly. i think tattoo artists sometimes can tattoo faster than they do, but since i wasn't paying he finished up my whole elbow portion in about 30 minutes. Didn't hurt a bit. And it never even swelled. Fuck my body rules!!!! We'll see what happens when i get my throat tattooed.

As far as healing, this is my normal routine: I keep the tattoo wrapped for a little over 24 hours. Then I take the wrap off and wash it. If my skin starts to feel really tight and dry, I put a tiny bit of non-scented lotion from Jason cosmetics on there and repeat whenever necessary. I never ever scab and all my colors hold very well.

As for pain, I hate getting tattooed, really. My elbows hurt, my toes hurt, my feet hurt, my forearms also hurt, my chest hurt.....basically, it all hurt. Sucks. But I keep going back.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chappy5
so i got it done yesterday, thank y'all so much for convincing me to move it forwards before the show. definitely now see that it would have been a bad idea.

obligatory fresh swollen pic:

[image]

Very Nice!

I just got my first one yesterday.

i got my elbow done in like 30 minutes. he pounded the shit out of me with a 11 round and finished rather quickly. i think tattoo artists sometimes can tattoo faster than they do, but since i wasn't paying he finished up my whole elbow portion in about 30 minutes. Didn't hurt a bit. And it never even swelled. Fuck my body rules!!!! We'll see what happens when i get my throat tattooed.

The throat sucked. Normally I wait last a few hours into a session before i start getting antsy for it to be done, but the throat killed me from the very first line.